So I found myself with a 10 dollar itunes gift card...

Yeah, the metalcore thing could be a turnoff to people who read it, but it's not at all a criticism, just an observation. Both songs on their Myspace have breakdowns. And other prog/melodic bands have used this trait before: Raintime certainly comes to mind. They're the good kind that pop up in other melodic prog songs too...not the super-aggressive chuggy kind that suck ass in most Americore. The elements are there in some of their riffs too, especially the mid-paced riff that is throughout Blood Red Diamonds. I'm not saying they're a metalcore band AT ALL...just that there are elements that they share with that style, musically. They in no way share their vocal qualities with that style, which is the best part. Their vocalist is definitely in the vein of Michael from CM or Tommy from SW.

I hear it, too. Nothing blatant and definitely not the main focus, but it's there. But it's not the garbage metalcore...it's the good metalcore hehe. Otherwise, I wouldn't like it.

It even says in their bio on the Intromental page that they combine "the elements of progressive rock/metal, melodic metal-core and symphonic metal to create their unique and epic sound"...

I didn't listen to the band yet, but "good game noob" alerts went off when he implied Into Eternity was metalcore.

I didn't listen to the band yet, but "good game noob" alerts went off when he implied Into Eternity was metalcore.

Admittedly I haven't heard all of their past two albums, but the songs I've heard from them do border on it...a lot of that melodic death stuff does (partly because the metalcore bands of the early 00's loved sucking the teat of Slaughter of the Soul).

"good game noob" alerts went off when he implied Into Eternity was metalcore.

I argue that Into Eternity is basically a melodic metalcore band that shreds often and sucks less often.

This was very evident to me the first time I heard Buried in Oblivion. Promise.

God, this doesn't have to be a genre debate does it? Can't we get back to the topic. Recommend something for the dude to listen to.

I'll also second the Cynthesis album. I can't say that it'll be in my top 10 from all year, but it is an extremely strong release. There.

Lost In Thought's full length album, Opus Arise is available via Inner Wounds Recordings tomorrow, April 29th. :)

And if you're in Europe, you get to see them on tour: Delain, Serenity and Lost in Thought. KILLER package!

By the way, I didn't know Borealis was out, will def need to check it out. To the OP, I saw you like Tom Waits. Do you own Rain Dogs?

I don't own it, sad to say, but I totally did rip it from a friend's CD.

*unashamed*

I'm not really feelin' the Borealis or the Lost in Thought so much. Certain elements there that I don't jive with.

FWIW, I actually did buy Bone Machine (In like 1999 lol), Blood Money and Mule variations.

One of my favorite discoveries last year was the 2009 release by Hourglass, "Oblivious to the Obvious". Stellar melodies, incredible musicianship, strong vocals, and great lyrics, they have kind of a Fates Warning feel to them. I only discovered them because iTunes recommended them based on my Seventh Wonder and Circus Maximus purchases.

One additional bonus: it is a double cd.

I'm going to go with something that's relatively hard to find on CD, but I know is in iTunes: Tuatha de Danann's "Trova di Danú". Excellent CD, but I only have it because iTunes had it and I had a gift card.

Alright, so the big things going on in this thread so far have been Jolly and Sons of Seasons.

Hourglass seems to be a lot more piano ballad-type jobs than I can generally tolerate on an album, but when they get out of that territory it seems to be pretty good, based on tracks on youtube. Not really sure how this is classified as metal, tho.

Tuatha de Danann - warrants further investigation. I can't tell whether or not I like this stuff, but it's interesting enough to keep me listening.