So, I got the DVD

The live version of Murder is so fucking good! Here's to them expanding their old-catalog setlist!

The rest of the live is also very good and reassured my love for newer Katatonia in a way...

The Foreverlorn said:
IMO the sound is quite cool on "Were you there" but the band itself doesn't seem quite fit on this video.

I thought the sound on "Were You There" was absolutely awful, the worst I've ever heard on a professional music DVD. There are no dynamics, all the quiet stuff is amplified until it's all at the same level as the louder bits, and as a result those lose impact. On some songs it's really obvious when they kick into a louder part and suddenly all the levels drop. I found that really annoying :(

ether said:
I think many of us would have preferred to watch the DVD on TV...and I don't think there are many Dvd players that can read a NTSC format...( at least mine is a "pioneer" and can't read it..)

I would imagine virtually all modern DVD players can read NTSC unless they're very cheap. It's older TVs that have a problem displaying it, so it comes out as grain black and white...

I know for a fact in the UK all DVD players released here can play both formats, even the cheapest ones :)

Russell said:
I thought the sound on "Were You There" was absolutely awful, the worst I've ever heard on a professional music DVD. There are no dynamics, all the quiet stuff is amplified until it's all at the same level as the louder bits, and as a result those lose impact. On some songs it's really obvious when they kick into a louder part and suddenly all the levels drop. I found that really annoying :(
Thats probably your speakers. when i watch it on my pc that happens, but if i watch it on my tv with some good speakers connected the levels and dynamics are great

jptk said:
Thats probably your speakers. when i watch it on my pc that happens, but if i watch it on my tv with some good speakers connected the levels and dynamics are great

That's what I thought, so I've been playing it on every PC and TV I can get my hands on. So far 3 PCs, and 4 TV's and the problem is very obvious on all.. This gives me hope tho, I'll keep on trying!

Russell said:
I would imagine virtually all modern DVD players can read NTSC unless they're very cheap. It's older TVs that have a problem displaying it, so it comes out as grain black and white...

I know for a fact in the UK all DVD players released here can play both formats, even the cheapest ones :)

yes, but probably mine was so expensive because it is two years old (so at that time maybe it wasn't so common to have both formats) then add speakers and everything for the dolby surround wich makes the whole system quite expensive!
Actually I have a Sony Tv which is also 2/3 years old, so I don't think the problem is in the TV set...
Well maybe I'll buy another Dvd palyer that can read both formats in case there will be other NTSC Dvds...It's only that it's the first time I happen to buy a DVD which is not PAL...

i must say that i am quite satisfied with the dvd in both, audio and video. it is not a really big one, but as bonus disc i think it is very well done. looking forward to the real dvd tho

Compared to how Jonas was when I saw him in Copenhagen I think that he was a dead fish on the DVD. I think the dvd is okay, I didn't have any problems playing it on my ps2 or watching it on my crappy ass Samsung TV. It seemed to me that there were only 80 katatonia fans present at the concert. The rest didn't really seem to know any of the songs or the band for that matter. The camera direction was quite crazy from time to time and there was to many red colors and bad tape quality. I can understand why Katatonia was unsatisfied with the final result. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the new DVD from them. Hopefully they will play some more songs from Discouraged ones and Mikael Åkerfeldt will come out as a surprise guest an perform some old BMD song with the band

I just got it today. Yeah...Jonas doesn't exactly rouse the crowd with his amazing stage presense.

He sings well enough though...he's just borign to watch. And the camera switches around too damn much. And it would be better if the crowd was more into it...when there's clapping along to the songs..it sound slike 10 people maybe. the audience in the Dark Tranquility DVD that was recorded in teh same place also sucked though...it was actually quite small.

I think this Krakow place is overrated.

But I thoroughly enjoy the whole Black Sessions collection...awesome stuff.

I watched the DVD last night and enjoyed it, especially Murder. It seemed to me, though, like the band wasn't entirely comfortable performing this show, almost like they were anxious to be done with it. I wonder why.

And man, I thought Mikael was soft-spoken in the Opeth DVD, but he was delivering speeches compared to Jonas. But that fits Katatonia's mood, I guess. Anyway, Jonas sounded awesome singing in this, better than Mikael, so that's a major plus. Anders was rokkin', too, that's for sure.
I'm very happy with it, overall. It's better than the live Kata DVD I had previously, which was... nothing. =P

I was cussing about having to buy this thing cause I have everything except the one extra song. After having listened to the CD and watched the DVD I am here to say, You all must Buy this thing. The DVD is better than what is being portrayed here. The sound quality is pretty damn good. The camera convultion turrets syndrome thingy is annoying but hey,this is Katatonia. Some of the best 'songs' ever set to {two guitar/bass/drums/vocal} music. Really great stuff.
Get up off your ass and go buy this thing if just for the DVD. Hell, give your two
copies of the 'best of' to a friend and get him turned on to Katatonia!
I hope on the better quality DVD we get to see some close-ups of the guitar players doing their thing. I knew there was a good reason why I love this band. This DVD
brings it home! Hell,Murder kicks fuckin' ass I tell ya!:headbang:

Im so dissapointed in myself for not having bought this yet......in a short time I will.....I need to pay rent before I get thrown out of my house....

As for Jonas being "not so entertaining" on stage.......he actually is a shy person......he really did have a hard time being on stage in the beginning.....I think he is doing great....and besides....he looks like he is physical pain sometimes on stage......
I dont need him to entertain me on stage......or to talk like micke.....Jonas is who he is and I have no expectations of him being like anyone besides himself.....he was really cool to me when we met....and put on a great show when I saw him live....what more could a fan possibly ask for.
I am just thinking outloud here....and I know noone is saying that jonas is anything less than the shit....but god he has come a long way....and I kind of just wanted to commend him for it.

Well, I agree. I think that his, hm, timidity has its own charm. It even seemed somewhat odd when he did talk 'a lot', like when he's telling Poland that it always kicks ass to play there. Of course I wasn't complaining about his stage presence, just saying how it appeared to me, as someone who has never seem them live (US TOUR AFTER THE NEXT ALBUM, PLEASE).