So just how popular is Sigur Ros?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
They SOLD OUT Madison Square Gardens in NYC last night. Unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong -- from what I've heard, I like their stuff, but I just didn't realize they were THIS popular. So who makes up the Sigur Ros audience? Are they a big student / college type band?

They seem to appeal to just about everyone. I didn't know they were that popular, but did know the name was well known.

I still don't own any of their shit, but what I've heard I've quite liked.

So what is their connection with the heavy metal world? I mean, people here list Sigur Ros albums in their top 10 lists. Likewise, The End Records sells them, along with other metal-related distros.

I think they owe a big share of their following to back when Radiohead said Sigur Rós were an influence for them to carry on making music or something of the sort.

I found that they're one of the few recent bands that have managed to tie the generation ends. When I went to their show there were just as many 40+ as young fans.

Yes it is sort of strange because they're by no means the most easy-listening band around. Maybe they're people's alibi for otherwise listening to shit music, I don't know.

One of the dudes was a roadie for Slayer during the South of Heaven days. [/I have no idea]

NY Times did an article on the Iceland music scene just the other day. It seems that music journalists are going through a whirlwind affair with Iceland these days.

Mark my words, by end of this year, you'll see 3 more big Icelandic bands hit the "mainstream".

JayKeeley said:
Mark my words, by end of this year, you'll see 3 more big Icelandic bands hit the "mainstream".

Maybe not but there's unusual potential brooding on this island for sure. There's also this EP from Amina who are Sigur Rós' long time stage companions (they plays the violins and various shit for them). Kind of experimental Rachel's-like post-rock with glasses, bells and stuff, quite dreamy and beautiful.

JayKeeley said:
NY Times did an article on the Iceland music scene just the other day. It seems that music journalists are going through a whirlwind affair with Iceland these days.

Any mention of Solstafir? That would be a band worthy of some cash. Well, according to me, who likes to see good bands get paid for a change. :loco:

Back on topic: They sold out most of their shows, indeed but let's not forget they sell millions of records . I've seen them twice : the first was amazing , second was not that good. They tend to rely too much on mise-en-scène with time. The first live contact is quite a "shock" though. Unfortunately, I didn't know the band at their pinnacle (the "()" album was played from start to finish around 2002-3) and have to be ok with them playing 1 or 2 songs of it.

Same goes for album , their last is entertaining but that's about it.Not a bad album but far from their standards. The next one will say if the magic has vanished forever.It's totally ok but it does not crawl under your skin as the previous.

() >>>>>> Agaetis Byrjun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Takk...

The first is just too abstract to be rated/judged/bought.

edited. And NAD, ya got a cd-r back in the day, it also had "Monumension" :loco:

Russell said:
Here, they are big, and very much a student type band. Imperial is full of indie kids who feel they are superior because they listen to that kind of stuff. They also feel disconcerted when they realise non-indie kids listen to it ;)

yes, that and the "jammy" kids love them too