So just how popular is Sigur Ros?

I may be elitist but maybe 10% of their audience grasp the full thing.So much for "image" and for "hype"..

Dev said:
Back on topic: They sold out most of their shows, indeed but let's not forget they sell millions of records .

Honestly, I didn't know this but I'm out of the loop (obviously). :tickled:

I remember coming to NY in 1998 only to learn that Dave Mathews Band had sold out (!) Giants Stadium. I had never even HEARD of them back then, and yet they probably had 5 multi-platinum discs or something.

i should listen to some sigur ros, i heard some a long time ago and was bored but i feel like i owe it another try

and yeah, they're pretty popular among college-age persons i would say...not as much as radiohead, but then who is

No, I'm serious. It's become harder & harder for ANY band to achieve millions sold these days, so color me doubtful that an obscure elitist band from Iceland has done so.

I googled and found nothing.

Yeah, I found that; I couldn't tell if they meant they went platinum in Iceland, or had sold 1 million worldwide.

You do realize they went platinum in Iceland, right?

Selling 1 million copies worlwide does not = platinum, just saying.

They sold out the Garden (are you sure it was the Garden itself or the theater at MSG?), despite not being a fan of these guys I'm extremely pleased as it proves there is a larger market for post-rock than I imagined...as for explaining how they became that big of a draw, the power of a Radiohead endorsement compels you...

all i know is their name always throws me for a tailspin as the literal translation of it in Romanian is

sigur = certain, sure
ros = gnawed

not sure what it means in their native tongue

Dev said:
I may be elitist but maybe 10% of their audience grasp the full thing.So much for "image" and for "hype"..

I'm a big Sigur fan. And I completely agree with the above statement. They are over-stacked with hype and as a result it has become 'cool' to like Sigur Rós. I love them, nonetheless.

Their fan-base is made up of a wide demographic. I went to a show in April last year, and the people their ranged from 50 year olds in suits to 17 year old in sweat shirts (ie. me). Fyi, popularity wise, I went and got my ticket within 10 minutes of them going on sale, and almost the whole floor was sold out. I didn't exactly have the best seat. Not bad, but not great.

lurch said:
all i know is their name always throws me for a tailspin as the literal translation of it in Romanian is

sigur = certain, sure
ros = gnawed

not sure what it means in their native tongue

In icelandic it means "Victory Rose". It's the name of the Jonsi's (vocalist/guitarist) sister or something. I can't remember properly; it's on the website.

Yeah, but she doesn't have a cellphone and doesn't check her messages often, but I'm going to some shows with her soon. Until then, I've been rubbing my own lantern quite often.

As a side note: did you guys know the proper way to say the band's name is "see-ur roce" and not "sigger ross"?

Demonspell said:
They sold out the Garden (are you sure it was the Garden itself or the theater at MSG?), despite not being a fan of these guys I'm extremely pleased as it proves there is a larger market for post-rock than I imagined...as for explaining how they became that big of a draw, the power of a Radiohead endorsement compels you...

good catch

while I can't find tourdates (didn't really look) the rest of the tour is at places that hold 4-6,000. I highly highly doubt it was MSG.