So my drummer is really close to getting an endorsement

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Chatted with him yesterday and he told me that he's really close to landing an endorsement with DDrum...that would be so fucking great and possibly the boost we need.

Cross yer fingers!!!!!

Blech, we're not Slayer and don't want to sound like them or Lombardo. For what we do, triggers are essential, if only just for the cold, synthetic sound.

Well, Dave's famous for having fast feet without the use of triggers, though I'm unsure why some people think that triggers seem to make you faster. Kerry is also famous for bashing any drummer who uses triggers...don't you remember that whole thing about him wanting Ray Herrera to replace Bostaph until he found out he used triggers and then started talking all kinds of shit about him?

It's true that if the triggers are set too sensitive that drummers can get in a bad habit of not kicking hard enough, but tell that to Nick Barker.

Still, Lombardo hits really hard with his feet without the use of triggers. In my opinion he's just naturally talented, because to say that everyone shouldn't use triggers is like saying everyone should be able to sing as well as Bruce Dickinson.

Lol, Raymond has probably THE most synthetic sounding drums ever to be put on a record due to basically triggering the whole kit/sample replacing everything ... it just suits Fear Factory's industrial vibe very well. But how can you not notice this upon the very first listen if you're in the business for that long?

The fact that most Lombardo performances are being kept quite natural is one of the reason why he's one of my favorites. On Testament's "The Gathering" was some serious triggering/replacing going on, that's why it sounds quite different from other Lombardo recordings.

Our drummer doesn't use triggers, I don't abolish them - because in some environments like the one mentioned, they have their place... but I just like the sound of untriggered kits (especially the bass drum) sooo sooo much more.

Lil rant:

I went to a The Black Dahlia Murder, Cephalic Carnage and Psycroptic show recently. Prycroptic's drummer is insanely skilled, what a contrast to that TBDM joke of a drummer! The bass was triggered without any dynamic adjustment giving the typical "click, click" sound with every stroke... THEN in the middle of the show the power went down, because some punks fried a power divider outside the venue...

While the guitarists of TBDM tried to entertain the crowd with a little battery-powered Roland Cube, their drummer simply refused to play a solo: "Na sorry, don't play no of that jazz stuff, dawg!"... he later went on for a few seconds to butcher his drums and it sounded even shittier without the triggers... ---> drummers that can't hit are a joke!

Yeah in bands that aren't using the double bass to sound like a machine, I too prefer a natural bass drum. Bands with a lot of groove I think kill their vibe if they trigger.

It's the death of dynamics that makes me lament triggers in all forms. Yeah, lots of metal is supposed to be a punishing sonic assault, but I'd rather hear humans do it, than triggers, 'brains', and samples.

Play with your dick!