Close Minded Metalheads

lol @ hip hop not being music. That's one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.

Nevermind the fact that you can dance to some of it, it can incorporate the same acoustic guitars and synths used in metal, heavy metal distorted guitars, classical piano, and I don't mean that rap metal shit, hip hop singers are usually more talented than metal singers, or emphasis is on songwriting rather than musicianship.

You haven't heard good hip hop because the majority of it it isn't on the radio and tv. And most if it isn't sampled, it's made on keyboards and synths.

What isn't music is blastbeats and mindless tremelo picking. And gosh wouldn't you know it, I'm a black metal fan.

mimimil.gif

practice what was composed =/= writting complex music patterns

To your credit, you've improved as a poster by huge amounts since you got over the "Girl dissed me aww gonna git barred out yalls" phase.

Not that I am really in a position to pass judgment on anyone else's fitness as a poster :lol:

as far as the hip hop debate is concerned. I don't see a difference between someone playing the same exactl power chords that were played in 1975 and someone taking a record and sampling it to get a piece of music that sounds significantly different from the original record.

I think in both instances you have to be equally music to record something that is worthwhile and interesting.

As far as Meshuggah is concerned, they are the only band in metal over the last 20 years to actually create a style that wasn't a derivative of something before them, so I think they deserve credit for that alone.

as far as the hip hop debate is concerned. I don't see a difference between someone playing the same exactl power chords that were played in 1975 and someone taking a record and sampling it to get a piece of music that sounds significantly different from the original record.

I think in both instances you have to be equally music to record something that is worthwhile and interesting.

As far as Meshuggah is concerned, they are the only band in metal over the last 20 years to actually create a style that wasn't a derivative of something before them, so I think they deserve credit for that alone.

Those same exact power chords were played in a different way. That's like saying all classical music is the same because they all eventually play the same notes.

If a band were to lift the very same song from another band, it's either a cover or a rip-off.

Hip-Hop is obviously just as diverse as metal. However, I have yet to be introduced to anything in hip-hop or rap that had anything to say that didn't mention how hard their life was, how many chicks he's fucked, how many people he's killed, or just how awesome/badass/altruistic he is. And let's face it...hip-hop is not about musical ability. Drum machines and one or two note harmonies on a midi keyboard does not equal musical prowess. Hip-hop is about making a statement.

But how many times and how many groups does it take to say the same thing? It's the most shallow and intellectually and culturally bereft genre of music I've ever come across.

They're really good at rhyming, but so was Dr. Seuss. Spinal Tap is more intellectual than hip-hop and I'm not exaggerating.

How about Hip Hop talking about black people bringing themselves down?

"If Martin Luther were alive he'd be pissed. All that marching for nothing, his dream is a nightmare".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7dP2LOpeA&feature=PlayList&p=2B89397533689851&index=0[/ame]

I can name plenty of other songs not about cars, women, money, or bragging. Again, you're listening to the wrong rap.

How about Hip Hop talking about black people bringing themselves down?

"If Martin Luther were alive he'd be pissed. All that marching for nothing, his dream is a nightmare".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7dP2LOpeA&feature=PlayList&p=2B89397533689851&index=0

I can name plenty of other songs not about cars, women, money, or bragging. Again, you're listening to the wrong rap.

I see your point John, but it's still more of the same. It's all about us. How we've been wronged. It's a very self-centered and egocentric genre.

However, just because someone may be a fan of hip-hop doesn't mean that I think THEY are like that. That would be as silly as black metal fans actually believing the hype of the bands they like.

Oh wait...

thats why I don't like metal its always about stupid shit like satan, slaughter, wars, fighting mythical beasts, darkness and gore.