Close Minded Metalheads

You're still misreading what I'm actually saying. I'm not saying that they sit there with a chalkboard and an algebra text to write songs, don't you have better things to do than deliberately misread posts?

Jeff

woah, i'm glad you signed your name on the post, i was afraid to spend countless hours wondering who might have posted that

Actually the band had to study six months before recording their last album.

Meshuggah is definitely not a band for people who don't appreciate intricate rhythm structures. I can't listen to them for more than an hour or so, I start to feel claustrophobic. I still feel that their flavor of metal is a fuckton better than what many other bands are doing these days, however. It's at least interesting.

7:25 to the end

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm just trying to prove myself that i'm not insane. Just making sure that the guy who wrote the music says "improvise" and not "study intricate riffs for 6 months", because i'm pretty sure that everyone else only seems to hear that second option

A friend of mine has the "progressive plague." It gets extremely fucking annoying sometimes, especially when Meshuggah gets brought up. He gets just like a super christian trying to convert an atheist.

i'm just trying to prove myself that i'm not insane. Just making sure that the guy who wrote the music says "improvise" and not "study intricate riffs for 6 months", because i'm pretty sure that everyone else only seems to hear that second option
Yeah, I lolled when he said that. But there seems to be a bit of a Skwisgar/Toki dynamic going on there.

i guess meshuggah is love it or hate it. sounding like some huge machine is indeed emotionless but some just find it awezome

I own Chaos Sphere and Nothing.
If I were to loop the albums together I wouldn't know when one song ended and another one began.
I liked them at first and they're talented musicians and all but I guess I'm just not into math metal all that much since their songs kinda grew annoying to me.

I own Chaos Sphere and Nothing.
If I were to loop the albums together I wouldn't know when one song ended and another one began.
I liked them at first and they're talented musicians and all but I guess I'm just not into math metal all that much since their songs kinda grew annoying to me.

yeah i downloaded some of their albums a while ago and thought it was totally unlistenable shit, and couldnt say which song is which for my life, so i deleted everything i had by them.
and then after a while i got heavily into drumming and redownloaded their shit and got addicted to it

You really haven't heard the right hip hop if you honestly mean every word of that sentence.

Post some stuff. I've got an open mind...I'd like to change my attitude towards it, I just have yet to discover any hip hop that I could consider musical. Of course, maybe I just haven't been exposed to good hip-hop.

I'm not saying I'll like it, as I detest hip-hop with a fucking passion. But I also can't stand lots of different types of metal, while I'll admit they may be good musicians.

surely metal like any kind of music is built of 90%+ of total shit

you have to find the gems!

Here you go dickhole:

[FONT=Verdana,sans-serif]MD: Do you have practice techniques, like slowing things down, to help you learn Meshuggah’s complex material?

Tomas: It depends whether it’s stuff that I’ve written myself. With a lot of our music, whoever writes the song writes the drum parts as well. So I write maybe ten percent of the drum parts on a given album. On ObZen maybe I’ve written fifteen, twenty percent at the most. If one of the guitarists wrote the song and the drum parts, I usually do slow them down.

Over the last bunch of years, we always write on the computer using Cubase. So if there’s a big movement over thirty-two bars, I can take two or four bars and cycle them, at whatever tempo I want. I have to do that for some stuff just to figure out what’s going on. But most of the time I can hear it by ear and I don’t have to slow it down. But especially with the ObZen album, I have to practice a lot to nail those parts, no doubt about it. By far this was the toughest album to learn and to practice.

MD: When others write your parts, do you often find yourself changing them?

Tomas: What I do is add fills, and the tiny hits here and there, because they don’t usually program a lot of fills. I also have a tendency to play the accents even more than how it’s written—I play a lot more with my left arm as far as syncopation and accents. And I play more cymbals with my left than they program. But apart from that I don’t really change the patterns unless one of the guys doesn’t know how to do the drums for a certain part. Then I’ll come in and help him write that one part of one track. There are seven or eight parts over the whole latest album where I did that.

MD: How long did you spend in the studio making ObZen?

Tomas: It took more or less six months for us to record the album. We changed a few riffs and a couple drum parts, but all in all the music was written beforehand. So it took us quite a long time to complete this album.

Full interview here: http://www.moderndrummer.com/updatefull/200001657/Tomas Haake
[/FONT]

So he didn't say he studied for six months before recording the album, it just took six months of recording the album BECAUSE HE HAD TO STUDY ALL HIS FUCKING PARTS WHICH WERE ALREADY WRITTEN, which means: HE STUDIED FOR SIX MONTHS BEFORE COMPLETING THE ALBUM! See how that works?

You're not insane, just fucking retarded. And yes, he's not the guitarist...HE'S THE DRUMMER, WHO'S THE MOST INSANELY TALENTED OF THEM ALL.

Post some stuff. I've got an open mind...I'd like to change my attitude towards it, I just have yet to discover any hip hop that I could consider musical. Of course, maybe I just haven't been exposed to good hip-hop.

I'm not saying I'll like it, as I detest hip-hop with a fucking passion. But I also can't stand lots of different types of metal, while I'll admit they may be good musicians.
Well it doesn't matter if you like it as long as you can understand it's real music and not just stolen samples and beats. There's a lot of hip hop that's created by the artists directly from scratch.

Heiroglyphics (Del the Funky Homosapien) is AWESOME.

It's still rap, but it's definitely original. It sucks that the popular hip hop is all the re-sampled, stolen shit. It's just like metal... there are artists that are popular that taint the name for the REAL artists that unfortuantely sort of get screwed.

The Geto Boys rule too.

I doubt you'll enjoy either of these, but if they at least help you realize not ALL hip hop is re-hashed trash, then all is well.

Bushwick Bill is a dwarf and he was in The Geto Boys before he put out solo records. This song is just funny :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The first two I would not claw my eyes out if forced to listen to it. True, it's not all re-sampled bullshit. The third I almost vomited in my mouth.

I see that in 25 years the subject matter has yet to change, though. I dunno...it all just seems so dull, trite, crude, uneducated and artificial, even the ones you've posted.

The closest I'll get to hip-hop is Beastie Boys, I guess.