Close Minded Metalheads

I think the female vocals don't really fit the grand scheme of this song, and the bass tone is atrocious, but other than that I can dig it. These guys are coming here soon, I will definitely check them out. Hope they don't suck live.

WTF is up with the bass in Augury?
I always thought genres were only useful for communicating what a band sounds like. Making up new and overly complicated genre terms does the exact opposite. Mostly it's a means of record labels to build a hype around the band, and elitist music fans really embrace that kind of shit.
I think the complaint that "Progressive" bands aren't really progressive is kind of silly. You don't complain that Gothic doesn't sound like music made by germanic tribesmen as well? It's just a name to communicate a certain sound (keyboards, complex structures, etc.)

I always thought genres were only useful for communicating what a band sounds like.
So did I. I resent people who try to portray themselves as "deep" and "liberated" by refusing to acknowledge the existence of genres. Genres make it easier to quickly describe the style of music a band makes. People who decry genres as being a symptom of a "labeling mentality" are completely missing the point of genres to begin with.

You don't complain that Gothic doesn't sound like music made by germanic tribesmen as well? It's just a name to communicate a certain sound (keyboards, complex structures, etc.)
I do think that "gothic rock" has nothing to do with the actual gothic music genre, but that's another discussion.

yeah it's pretty muddled, i don't agree with a lot of those point's i genuinely like progressive for the songs, i don't see how people think it's wank, i've never seen it....but too each his own.

i've been listening to a lot of Andromeda lately and i think they do a really good job of having well thought out songs but awesome musicianship as well, they seem to have found a balance unlike a lot of the bands do today.

Well, prog-rock is a bit different for me and I actually enjoy it.

The progressive tag I was talking about is when people tack it on to genres like, "progressive tech death/black metal" or some such bullshit. I mean, I understand the need for genres and I'm all about classifying music accurately, but the progressive word is used way too liberally.

What makes a band progressive? Odd time signatures? Polyrhythms? We've got both and we're not progressive in the least.

Just took in a listen, Augury is pretty damn good in my opinion. They got growling, a girl who sings like a fucking sylph, they got iron maiden moments definitely, and double bass kick rapage. Listen to the Lair of Purity, its fucking epic... nay, LEGEND(G)RY! Great acoustic work there. The opera lady fucking kills there too.

See, I don't entirely disagree with you about them being good musicians. They're fantastic musicians. It's just that their music sounds like ass to me.

And seriously, whoever said that their bass sounds like crap hit the nail right on the head.

I didn't find a single part of that song listenable. I could study it all day but would hate to have to listen to it. I'm forming a new genre...it's called death wank metal, and these guys are the pioneers. This band is just a big Youtube lesson on polyrhythms and odd time signatures, only you get to see four people doing it instead of one.

See, I don't entirely disagree with you about them being good musicians. They're fantastic musicians. It's just that their music sounds like ass to me.

And seriously, whoever said that their bass sounds like crap hit the nail right on the head.

I didn't find a single part of that song listenable. I could study it all day but would hate to have to listen to it. I'm forming a new genre...it's called death wank metal, and these guys are the pioneers. This band is just a big Youtube lesson on polyrhythms and odd time signatures, only you get to see four people doing it instead of one.

what do you think about meshuggah?

to the guy who said "progressive metal" is a retarded way to describe your music, i couldnt agree more. progressive indeed lost its meaning, now it means broken rhythm and weird chord structures, but its not really progressive is it

what do you think about meshuggah?

to the guy who said "progressive metal" is a retarded way to describe your music, i couldnt agree more. progressive indeed lost its meaning, now it means broken rhythm and weird chord structures, but its not really progressive is it

I love Meshuggah, but they use their abilities in a musical way. Most of their stuff is in 4/4 anyway. They're not showing off, they're just doing their own thing. There is no other band like Meshuggah, but there are thousands of bands like Augury.

Progressive has only lost it's meaning with shitty bands like Dream Theater.

Enslaved and Borknagar who use lots of spacey keyboards and draw influence from Pink Floyd and all that happy horse shit, influenced by Rush and other 70s prog rock bands, I'd say progressive metal fits them just fine.

Are they actually being progressive? No, but metal is full of misnomers. Not all death metal is about death.

You just gotta get used to Geddy Lee's horrible vocals, then it's really smooth sailing from there. DW, try 2112 on for size, its like Iron Maiden before Iron Maiden, except more progressive. Wicked album.

I love Meshuggah, but they use their abilities in a musical way. Most of their stuff is in 4/4 anyway. They're not showing off, they're just doing their own thing. There is no other band like Meshuggah, but there are thousands of bands like Augury.

Most of Meshuggah's stuff is in 4/4? Are we talking about the same band?

Most of Meshuggah's stuff is in 4/4? Are we talking about the same band?

yeah, maybe even ALL of their stuff, but im not too sure about that. its just odd time that adds up to 4/4 in the end, usually with a steady 1 2 *3* 4 china/hi-hat and snare thing keeping 4/4 groove.

so u get what im saying, some examples

stengah first riff - 11/8 reapeating 5 times, completing itself with another 9/8 to close 64/8 total and then starting over

straws pulled at random first riff, much simpler u hear it as 7 + 7 and then + 2 to get 16

so pretty much all their shit is built around this kind of thing, get an odd time riff and after a few bars complete it to 4/4

id like to add saying meshuggah plays on 4/4 is pretty much wankery. true, u count them as 4/4 but never hear or play them that way except some rare riffs like sane, suffer in truth, beginning of future breed machine etc

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, maybe even ALL of their stuff, but im not too sure about that. its just odd time that adds up to 4/4 in the end, usually with a steady 1 2 *3* 4 china/hi-hat and snare thing keeping 4/4 groove.

so u get what im saying, some examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aMng-SNtkk

stengah first riff - 11/8 reapeating 5 times, completing itself with another 9/8 to close 64/8 total and then starting over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6VerKdcrOQ

straws pulled at random first riff, much simpler u hear it as 7 + 7 and then + 2 to get 16

so pretty much all their shit is built around this kind of thing, get an odd time riff and after a few bars complete it to 4/4

id like to add saying meshuggah plays on 4/4 is pretty much wankery. true, u count them as 4/4 but never hear or play them that way except some rare riffs like sane, suffer in truth, beginning of future breed machine etc

Ahhh ok I see. When I think of 4/4 though, I think of straight, steady, groove type riffs with no play on time whatsoever.

Even though I agree with what you're saying about Meshuggah, I wouldn't really consider them a 4/4 type of band, just because most people are going to hear all those crazy off time rhythms and be permanently confused before they realize the entire scheme of things.

It's funny to watch people try to headbang at Meshuggah's shows :lol:

Meshuggah's one of those rare breed bands where every album is as good or better than the last one. Obzen was a fucking masterpiece, I mean all I have to mention is a song like dancers to a discordant system or even their focus track bleed and it goes to show that just like nevermore, these guys take their sweet ass time before an album comes out, and the end product is a testament to that.