So...using Facebook to promote yourself / your studio

jangoux

May 9, 2006
How do ?

Seriously, I have facebook for 'social' matters, and I can't see a way it would help me promote my thing (well, my studio, not my thing :heh: ). Any tips ?

Btw, if anyone wants to add me, just search Ivan Jangoux (or just jangoux) and you'll find me.

Cheers
Ivan

Facebook for bands is pretty lame, every page looks the same and no one really surfs for cool bands through top friends and such. Needless to mention Myspace is awful atm. The situation isn't all that great overall.

I changed the link in my signature to direct to our Facebook a bit ago; anyone interested should like the page and check out the ep tracks before the full length drops next month!

I'd say feel free to add me personally, but honestly, the genius in facebook is lost to me when I have everyone and everyone on my friends list, so it's kept pretty strictly now as people I know personally or am especially close with from the forum.

Using facebook to promote your stuff is cool for people who actually REALLY want to keep track of your things...
it's not as cool for promotion as myspace used to be, mostly because you have to log in/have an account/like something. thats the only disadvantage to it...
anyway hers my bands page http://www.facebook.com/Harpiadeiis

i just saw that you can see it even if you arent in facebook, so I guess its as cool as myspace :D

I "liked" ze page Ermz.
I barely ever add pages, this is literally only the second one I've added. Most "Pages" are just some annoying shit like this fucking crap :
http://172799h1.aime7.eu/en/467465.html

Some chick I know has about 3500 pages she's liked, and it's all mostly shit like this:puke:
Guess I've gotten too old to understand that teenage stuff.

I find I tend to reject a lot of friend requests on Facebook (hence only having 93 friends) because it's just a lot of people from high school I don't give a shit about, people I never liked, or better yet, people that gave me shit in high school and somehow think it's okay to suddenly want to add me.

Most of the people that I know in real life that I add, are actual, proper friends.
Some people do the whole 900+ friends thing, but it makes no sense to me (unless perhaps you're a famous musician or artist or whatever with a personal page). It just comes across as narcissistic to me.

However, I will freely add anyone that is in some way involved in music.
It's always good to just have those connections I think.
If you play guitar, bass, are a producer, audio engineer, guitar tech, drummer, luthier or whatever, I have no issues with them being in my friends list.

@Harry

+1

I am not big on the pages only because I haven't quite found too much that has my interest. If I find a band that I like and want to keep up with what they are doing I will "like" it. Most of my like are Sneap forum bands, but that's cool, I like to keep track of what the fellow Sneapsters are up to, and that is what the "like" pages are for.

But I will agree, those blog based pages that people like are just damn annoying. Yeah there might be a funny joke page here and there that you might want to read once and that is it. If its not a band or celebrity and has over a few thousand friends, its just wise to stay away from as it is just stupid shit that will most likely end in you having your news feed spammed with junk.

I have been a lot more selective about who I add as friends on facebook than I was on myspace and as a result I have a grand total of 60 friend. Personal friends, Sneapsters or people I go to school with AND know only and things have been smooth, no spam and I can keep track of people who I actually care about.

I barely ever add pages, this is literally only the second one I've added. Most "Pages" are just some annoying shit like this fucking crap :
http://172799h1.aime7.eu/en/467465.html

That's pretty damn hideous. I think as long as you don't add anyone under 20 as a friend you'll be a bit safer from this (though sadly it's not fool-proof).

Still getting a hang of this whole Facebook thing. TBH I'm not a huge fan, I much preferred the 'set and forget' nature of my Myspace page, where I'd just have Digsby notify me of any direct contact messages from bands.

I honestly could care less how a bad burrito altered my friends' worldview for a brief snapshot of time.

Anyhow, just a temporary measure before the site gets ported to its own domain... soon, soon.

Thanks for the likes so far though guys!

I'm OK with Facebook more for the social aspect of it; no it's not that great of a place to discover new bands on your own, but it is good to get people talking about who you are and sharing your page and band.

I commonly check out bands that appear in my news feed when I see friends "liking" them, so I have picked up some new listens that way.

Last night I posted the first song from my new dadrock band, it was neat seeing an influx of new fans, and seeing who was sharing out the song on their pages. Being able to invite people to shows and events directly is good as well, as long as you don't get too spammy about it.

http://www.facebook.com/tideofempire for those of you who don't mind mostly clean guitars and boring old man lyrics :)

Btw, when clicking on someone's facebook page (for example, the links you guys posted), where the button or link or whatever to add as friend?