So what do you guys think of the new In Flames album?

Morei: Thanks.

I'm wondering if I should buy this new IF album now, or try and wait a bit and get it cheaper later - I don't have much interest left in the band since their latest album, but perhaps they will surprise me positively this time...

-Villain

rahvin said:
well, we've always had our share of in flames praising/bashing/comparing and especially bitching about how badly they behaved towards fans when they took the board down. it's something we're pretty accustomed to, like when during christmas dinner at some point someone will mention the embarrassing uncle who started acting wacky and was put into that oh-so-very-comfortable home for nutty people. :)
Yea its nice somebody show em! :tickled: :Spin:

Anyway, too many people have told me how is it and i sincerely dont like the comparitions to their newer stuff, so i wont even listen to it this time around i dont wanna go through the "damn i just wasted my bandwidth but im glad i didnt waste my money" process again like i did on R2R.

Villain said:
Morei: Thanks.

I'm wondering if I should buy this new IF album now, or try and wait a bit and get it cheaper later - I don't have much interest left in the band since their latest album, but perhaps they will surprise me positively this time...

-Villain
Just hang around metal boards and check out their member's trash cans, you cant get a better deal than that.

How about me telling you all a story?!?

OK, let's start: A long time ago, RTR was released. As an old In Flames Fan (but DT-Maniac and impressed by Damage Done that time), I went to a store and listened to this new In Flames released... I was so disappointed that I wanted to scream out my anger in this shop: How could they do such NewMetal-sounding crap like the songs I just heard? Some weeks passed and I listened to DD again. Then, one beautiful day, I thought I should give IF a second chance. So this time I downloaded the album to be able to listen to it more often and I hated it again, but not as much as before. After a while, I recognised that somehow I mutated. I started to like this shit.

Today, I think that RTR is a good Album, even the best after the sweet time until "The Jester Race". I don't like Clayman. Colony and Whoracle are good, but too much songs are only average quality... But RTR was something new.

Back to here and now. I got my STYE monday, because I ordered it at Nuclear Blast. At first I was a little disappointed, but after a while the Songs start to grow, you remember them and you find some highlights on STYE.

So, last words: Better than RTR? Maybe, just listen to it long enough and you will know. An unbeliable great album? NO!!!

Oh what an enlightening story, it shows us how you can be discusted by a record and stupidly force yourself to like it just because the name on the cd says Inflames.

Why dont you go sit in a dark room for 3 days listening to St. Anger until you learn to like it, you retarded masochist.

Misanthrope said:
Oh what an enlightening story, it shows us how you can be discusted by a record and stupidly force yourself to like it just because the name on the cd says Inflames.

Why dont you go sit in a dark room for 3 days listening to St. Anger until you learn to like it, you retarded masochist.
hahaha

Misanthrope said:

:tickled: i was thinking more or less the same, but in a bit different words. :p

btw, STYE reminds me of STFU. :Spin:

:tickled: It's great to see good old Misanthrope back in action. :D

Schwedentod: Don't take his language in a bad way - he's just like that towards nearly everyone. After a while you get used to it.

-Villain

I think for In Flames it's a very weak album. Possibly their worst yet. The production is really strange too; the vocals are low in the mix, the drums sound like shit, and the guitars are muddy. I liked Reroute to Remain somewhat, but this new one is just not that memorable or entertaining. They're capable of so much more, it's sad to hear them playing these boring nu-metalish songs. I think they should stop trying to appeal to the masses with radio-friendly uninspired junk and just record something that comes natural to them. Oh yeah, and Anders should really stop trying to look and act like Jonathan Davis...cause it's really getting on my nerves.

@ Misanthrope: Your comment shows me that you aren't open-minded enough to see a nice album, only because you expect something you already know from the band... If another band would have recorded RTR, it wouldn't have earned that much critics. I hate St. Anger and I heard it often enough to be sure of this. In Flames isn't Melodic Death Metal any more, and they'll never be again - be sure - so sit down and listen to it.

@ Villain: Thanks for this hint, I REALLY was shocked!

@ Jerkface: I agree to your comparision with Jonathan Davis, he really seems to be a clone of him. Listen to "The quiet place"... couldn't it be a KoRn-Song?!? It's nice, I like it, but it really could be KoRn...

Schwedentod said:
@ Misanthrope: Your comment shows me that you aren't open-minded enough to see a nice album, only because you expect something you already know from the band... If another band would have recorded RTR, it wouldn't have earned that much critics. I hate St. Anger and I heard it often enough to be sure of this. In Flames isn't Melodic Death Metal any more, and they'll never be again - be sure - so sit down and listen to it.
First things first

joke ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (j
omacr.gif
k)
n.
  1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
  2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
  3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
  4. Informal.
    1. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
    2. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.
v. joked, jok·ing, jokes
v. intr.
  1. To tell or play jokes; jest.
  2. To speak in fun; be facetious.
v. tr.
To make fun of; tease.

[Latin iocus. See yek- in Indo-European Roots.]
jok
prime.gif
ing·ly
adv.
Synonyms: joke, jest, witticism, quip, sally, crack, wisecrack, gag
These nouns refer to something that is said or done in order to evoke laughter or amusement. Joke especially denotes an amusing story with a punch line at the end: told jokes at the party. Jest suggests frolicsome humor: amusing jests that defused the tense situation. A witticism is a witty, usually cleverly phrased remark: a speech full of witticisms. A quip is a clever, pointed, often sarcastic remark: responded to the tough questions with quips. Sally denotes a sudden quick witticism: ended the debate with a brilliant sally. Crack and wisecrack refer less formally to flippant or sarcastic retorts: made a crack about my driving ability; punished for making wisecracks in class. Gag is principally applicable to a broadly comic remark or to comic by-play in a theatrical routine: one of the most memorable gags in the history of vaudeville.

Second, By your logic i wouldnt be in this forum either because all that you said can be said about DT too.

And im very open minded: But unlike you, i happen to know the difference between being open minded and having a taste and ears. I have an open mind and i listen to many many things. I have a taste so i dislike numetal stuff like Inflames. I have ears, so i know they are obviously trying to copy numetal acts.

Oh and i love the fact that im close minded and you are the one forcing yourself to like a record by listening to something you just dont like.

Schwedentod said:
If another band would have recorded RTR, it wouldn't have earned that much critics.
true. but it wouldn't have received so much exposure either. i think it would have been filed in the folder for "average death-metallish records of the year", nothing more. i don't think many people here were put off by the fact that it wasn't identical to in flames' earlier works. personally, it could have been hardcore or crossover or thrash or nu-metal, and i would still have liked it if i had found there was enough to like about it. still, i think rtr can be summarized as:

- trigger. the new style for in flames standard songs. quite ok if you can forget the terrible vocal lines (except for the clean vox in the chorus, which are good and have a nice hook), but repetead to infinite both on rtr and now on stye.

- metaphor. a wonderful idea for a ballad and the only really outstanding song on the record. the kind of track that is just a good song regardless of it being performed in a metal style instead of punk, pop, rock, blues, ska, whatever other style. unfortunately, there's nothing of the sort on stye.

Kovenant84 said:
Odd, I'd say the exact opposite. I kinda liked the older lyrics for their DT-esque abstract/confusing/what is he singing about? nature. And I think it kinda ruins a song I've really grown to like the sound of to give it a honestly moronic title - i.e. Evil in a Closet. I don't actually have the album, but I've had the songs for about the past two weeks, and listened to very little else. I have to say, it's a definite improvement over R2R, but its just not the same band. They went a kind of Soilwork/more industrial path recently, and I kinda enjoy it a bit, although this album definitely does a better job of it than R2R.

So far, I really love EiaC and My Sweet Shadow.

~Kov. Just my $0.02
Since Anders didn't write the lyrics himself until Colony or so, I'd say they are getting better. Niklas wrote the lyrics before that, except Lunar Strain (Stanne) and Subterranean (Henke Forss).

P.S.: I have a taste and I have ears... I listen to many things, too... I agree that they are obviously copying numetal... and - last but not least - I HATE NUMETAL!!! At least most of it (e.g. Limp Bizkit), but some things sound pretty nice (e.g. some songs of KoRn and Linkin Park - but not all!). I would never pay for this kind of music, I even don't download it, but if I listen to it in radio or so, it's OK, better than many other things... If a band makes songs that sound like numetal but which are made good, it's OK to me. That's what I think of RTR.

One last word: Everybody, be cool... You: BE COOL!!! (just kidding ;))

ahh... I personally own all the In Flames cds, EXCEPT for Reroute To Remain... Why dont I have it? I traded it in after owning it for a week. It was a very disappointing album. The music didn't seem like it was going to lunge at my with a knife, it didnt make me want to mosh... It made me fall asleep [and i am serious]

i personally had this album downloaded since the day it was leaked, and yet I can't stand to listen to it... Yeah, the music itself is harder than 'R2R's, yet vocally, its gotten worse... This cd could be played on the radio without any problem at all [which is bad or good depending on who you are]

i personally reccomend to everyone to listen to the whole cd BEFORE buying it, because if your like me, youll find it atrocious..
Well, thats all I have to say... But hey, those are jsut my opinions