So what the fuck, is digital music going to take over completely?

$3,300 for a "niche indie album"

hahaha

why don't you tell us what exactly this "niche" "indie" album is, and how many people played it, and how it compares to the average? would that perhaps be A LITTLE BIT TOO UNCOMFORTABLE for you with all your Transparency and Honesty?

let's go with this fantasy land best-case-scenario bullshit. let's play your little game. let's say this mysterious "indie" band has five members. that's $660 a month before tax! why, IF i had the luxury of being the 0.00000000000000004% who make about as much money as your
YIfwuZN.gif
n i c h e i n d i e
YIfwuZN.gif
band i could ALMOST pay for rent and food for that one month when the album is new and the current flavor-of-the-month! oh! the joys of being a Rock Star

FUCK

YOU

SPOTIFY

YOU

ABSOLUTE

CUNTS

I am gonna sell off probably half my collection of cd/vinyl/dvds. I will let you guys know when it's for sale.

So one would have to listen to an artist's album 119-166 times (on a 10 track album) in order to garner the artist $10. Considering a fair amount of metal albums have lengthy songs, ten tracks is a bit much. So it would probably be far more than that. I've listen to both Acid Bath albums on loop in the car and on the discman since getting into them a month ago, and I'd wager I'm only 40-50 listens in. That's going balls out deep trying to absorb a piece of art as well. Yep, Spotify, Youtube, LastFM (If they do this), Snuggly MP3.com, etcetera, stop acting like you're helping anyone but your grubby little selves.

So one would have to listen to an artist's album 119-166 times (on a 10 track album) in order to garner the artist $10.

hahahahaha no

that would garner the RIGHTSHOLDERS $10

the BAND will maybe make $0.50 off those 150+ listens if they're lucky

divide by four, subtract tax, and that's how dax riggs puts food on his table.

big round of applause for the music business, everybody

Yea, I was just trying to compare it to forking over $10 at a gig and laying it directly in a band member's palm. Pretty fucked up any way ye wish to slice it.

they said the shift to digital music would benefit artists

of course, as they always do, they lied outright.

spotify is a wet fucking dream to every fat cat record label exec. it would never be possible to rip people off THIS much even with the thoroughly rotten physical media industry of yore. record labels these days don't pay for studio recordings, don't pay for the distribution of physical media, don't even pay for the distribution of DIGITAL media. they do essentially nothing. send some fuckin files to spotify and itunes and you're done. kick back, do literally not a single thing, and collect 99.5% of the profit off someone else's work

granted, physical media distribution is still a thing, but that will change

if you have a band that expects to make even the slightest amount of money in the year 2014 and do not sell your music yourself, on physical media or otherwise, through bandcamp or equivalent you are a literal idiot

I don't even know what spotify is.

That said, it seems a little presumptuous that people think they should get paid for writing and playing music. THAT said, it's completely ridiculous that some middle man makes money off something they didn't create. There has to be a way in this day and age that "artists" and "musicians" can be compensated directly for their efforts. Is that what this bandcamp website is all about?

Pretty much yeah. The artist can setup entire albums up for free streaming on their bandcamp arist/album sites, with the option for people to pay a "donation" of any amount they choose, and then receive files in whatever format they choose. If they want they can also make it a "pay to listen" only type setup.

Examples:

http://krownn.bandcamp.com/

Labels are also making use of it to promote their bands and in some cases offer a fully digitial method of distribution:

http://nuclearwarnowproductions.ban...-sulphurs-essence-which-spawns-death-and-life
http://ironboneheadproductions.bandcamp.com/album/cult-of-fire

General info:

http://bandcamp.com/artists

i'm buying less music than ever before (despite my latest binge seen on the purchases thread).

the new usps rates to international (includes canada) are brutal, so with both europe and US out, there's nowhere left to get stuff from.

Sony's Blu-ray bet returns a 'bag of hurt'

Sony is warning shareholders to expect poor financial results for its fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. The electronics giant previously expected to pull in an operating income of 80 billion yen ($782 million) over the financial year, but is today adjusting that figure down to just 26 billion yen ($254 million).

The sharp reduction — the new operating income estimates are 68 percent down from a February forecast — can be attributed to a pair of somewhat unexpected events. Roughly 30 billion yen ($293 million) of the drop is due to "additional expenses" from Sony's exit from the PC business. The company announced it's to sell its PC division to a Japanese investment fund earlier this year.

The second charge to due to what Sony calls "demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated," especially in Europe. Because of this, Sony says it does not believe the business will generate "sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets." It anticipates an impairment charge on those assets, and a second charge on the overall value of its disc manufacturing business, which will amount to 25 billion yen ($245 million).

Blu-ray was officially introduced in 2006, backed by Sony and other manufacturers, and briefly battled against competing "next-generation" format HD-DVD. Buoyed by widespread adoption thanks to integration with the PlayStation 3, the popularity of Sony's format of choice saw HD-DVDs die without trace.

Winning this battle required heavy investment from Sony, an investment that it expected to recoup with years of strong sales. Instead of the market moving from DVD to Blu-ray, consumers began to embrace downloads from Apple's iTunes service and streaming from sites like Netflix and Hulu. Although Blu-ray is integrated with some Windows laptops, it was never offered by Apple — Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt." With the rise of movie streaming and downloads, Sony is now accepting that its disc business is not worth as much as it hoped.

Sony will give a full rundown of its financial performance over the past year in two weeks. Its revenues from operations are likely to actually be higher than originally expected — the new forecast adds some 70 billion yen ($685 million) to the previous figure — but the company still expects to book a net loss for the year.

It's to be expected, when you're dropping $20 for 2 hours of entertainment.

Meaning...I just stream all my stuff from Apple TV. I still use Netflix's one disc at a time deal but I just never watch them. I should probably add something to my queueueueue