So what the fuck, is digital music going to take over completely?

the compact disc turned 30 years old exactly yesterday

and it still rulz

I buy everything. Not paying for something and then claiming to be a fan has always seemed fucking ridiculous to me. And if Im paying for something I want an actual product in my hand, not just rights to some digital bullshit. Give me a CD of fuck off.
However if the artist is ok with people getting their product for free Im fine with it. At the end of the day its their hard work and their right to say who can listen to it and who cant.

Uhhh....I suppose I could read the entire thread to find the answer but I'm not going to.
I've been thinking about saying goodbye to CDs because I truly give no fucks and all they do is take up space. I mean, they are cool and all and I love album art, but really, the number of times I've read or even looked at an insert after the initial listen are exactly zero. I'm tired of driving around to stores trying to find shit, too. It's annoying and I have agoraphobia.
So.....what's the best site from which to dl albums? Is everything available in such a format? What format is equal to CD quality sound? If you're saving everything on your computer, do you worry about it crashing and losing everything (as happened with my laptop a couple months ago)? I dont listen to music on my computer - how do I transfer the files to a stereo?
I'm obviously completely out to lunch on this topic - I buy CDs from local stores and occasionally order stuff from online distros - I'm just wondering what kind of absurd problems I'm going to run into if I stop buying physical formats.

Please explain.

So.....what's the best site from which to dl albums? Is everything available in such a format? What format is equal to CD quality sound? If you're saving everything on your computer, do you worry about it crashing and losing everything (as happened with my laptop a couple months ago)? I dont listen to music on my computer - how do I transfer the files to a stereo?
to download anything, type artist album name blogspot into google or artist album name mediafire etc. 99% of the time the first page will contain a music download blog (those are A Thing) with a legit link where you hopefully won't have to jump too many hoops to download the file from a free file hosting thing (mediafire, rapidshare, etc.)

to download more well-known/mainstream albums, you can often go to various torrent trackers like the pirate bay or isohunt or whatever. you need a torrent client (µtorrent) for this

there are also dc hubs and private bittorrent trackers but those are for pros

i have between 80 and 100 gigs of mp3s. my entire cd collection + more. it's all on a couple of old stupid hard drives and i would not like it one bit if those drives crashed but right now i don't have a backup solution because ughhhhh

flac is equal to cd quality sound but you don't care about that shit, get good mp3s and be done with it. you will not hear a difference. most things are not readily available as flac anyway.

to listen to this shit on your stereo, buy blank cd-r discs, burn them (AS AUDIO) in any cd burning program. welcome to 1999.

if you know how to work computers this shit is trivial

OR if all this techno babble is JUST TOO MUCH ~ you could just subscribe to spotify i guess www.spotify.com i mean you americans seem to like paying for things that are free judging by the popularity of netflix

so yea

break free from the chains of material possessions and instead sell your soul and privacy to a huge corporation

edit: oh right you wanted to listen on one of them ancient "hi fi" systems, forgot, sorry

I cant tell where the sarcasm in your post begins or where it ends

ftr, I'm not talking about getting stuff for free, I'm talking about paying money to musicians for their product and enjoying said product through my 8th cranial nerve.

oh lol

then you are shit out of luck

there are literally no options, physical media or otherwise, that put actual money in the hands of actual musicians. except maybe things like bandcamp, and sometimes ordering cd's directly from bands.

I continue to struggle with the idea of going digital. At this point, it's become silly. I download music from a torrent or blog, I listen to it, by it on CD, rip it from CD and replace the torrent/blog files, put the CD in the rack, and then never touch the CD again. At this point, buying a CD is just nostalgic.

I've also heard artists make significantly more from digital sales.

I've also heard artists make significantly more from digital sales.
not really.

here's something to look at:

selling_out_550.png

yes, that is correct: to make MINIMUM WAGE, an artist must get over 4 million individual plays per month on spotify

on itunes, you make about as much as with a regular, shitgarbage cd deal, with the exception that the label keeps a larger percentage of the whole cake.

the industry is rotten to the fucking core, as ever. make no mistake. artists have never and will never make money off music

Buy vinyl, download MP3s for on the go, buy CD if no vinyl available and enjoy delicious .FLAC audio on the go with a nice amplified portable system. Also buy loads of cassettes for on-the-go.

I continue to struggle with the idea of going digital. At this point, it's become silly. I download music from a torrent or blog, I listen to it, by it on CD, rip it from CD and replace the torrent/blog files, put the CD in the rack, and then never touch the CD again. At this point, buying a CD is just nostalgic.

this kinda feels like where I'm heading

Also, if you are to buy music in the physical form, it's seems absolutely preposterous to rip the copy and never listen to it again. I got some oop albums which I paid a pence for on ejew, never in my wildest dreams would I be reticent to spinning the copy in it's physical form. I'm not in this hobby to make a turn around in 20 years. If the disc gets warped, so it shall be.

Also, if you are to buy music in the physical form, it's seems absolutely preposterous to rip the copy and never listen to it again. I got some oop albums which I paid a pence for on ejew, never in my wildest dreams would I be reticent to spinning the copy in it's physical form. I'm not in this hobby to make a turn around in 20 years. If the disc gets warped, so it shall be.

amen, brother