So

'any guitarist as long as...blahblahblah'

so, you'd rather be scared that the material would sound like a cheap Nevermore clone than at least have some kind of cushion of 'hey, this guy co-wrote one of the greatest metal albums ever'?

i never said i would be angry if any of the old guys came back, i just said overall it doesn't matter as long as the musician is very skilled technically and can write great songs, does not mean they're amateur at all, nor does someone writing a good album in the past mean they'll write a good album in the future (but again i wasn't contesting that).

either way clearly you didn't understand what i said, the point was just that it shouldn't be limited to just old members. they might be great yes, but again who knows what their responsibilities are (such as pat probably not leaving CC) so as long as a replacement for guitar and drums can live up to the position that's all that really matters (and who knows, maybe there truly is someone great out there who'd fit and write something amazing that isn't just some nevermore clone as you claim).

Any of them is going to be amazing.

Personal preference... Calvert calvert calvert calvert. I would instantly puke shit piss and jizz myself if it's announced Calvert is writing for NM again.

Too bad it sounds like something went down with Smyth, I thought what he contributed on TGE was perfect for the direction of the bands sound.

Too bad it sounds like something went down with Smyth, I thought what he contributed on TGE was perfect for the direction of the bands sound.

Yeah, once they had released that album, I thought that finally Nevermore found it's perfect lineup...if only it would be permenent this time.

DNB is still probably my overall favorite album, and Tim just so happened to be in the band. He also helped to write some of my favorite songs off of the album, but overall it was a lot darker and more depressive than the previous album; or any other after for that matter. I knew he had been with Forbidden, but I thought most of DNB had already been written before he joined anyway, so I wasn't sure exactly how much of an influence he really had.

When Pat joined though, there was a definite shift in style--for the better. That could have been just a coincidence, but no other Nevermore album sounds anything like TPoE.

talkingbackwatds - tim wrote some of the best songs on the cd. Awwyeah

If you'll notice, I already said that he helped write some of my favorites. Dunno, before coming to this board I would see other arguments about how Loomis still wrote most of the album already, and that Tim only contributed a song or two, and a few embellishments to other songs. I just never believed that his influence was that small though. Wasn't Tim already touring with Nevermore for a decent amount of time though before joining? If so, then the point in which he "officially" joined the band shouldn't really matter if he had already written material.

So is it a definite thing that Warrel will be choosing out of the mentioned guitarists? Because I definitely want to give it a shot. I already have material written. I would really appreciate the chance, and I'm sure it wouldn't disappoint.

I'd say that either Pat or Tim making a return would be good since they both left a mostly positive impression on 2 landmark albums. My choice would come down to who was really committed to it - not just as a thing to do, but as a real artistic endeavor.

I'm also on record as saying that Attila deserves a chance to see what he can do as far as songwriting - give the kid a chance!

I also like some of the stuff that Matt Wicklund did on the PTTWM cd - I loved the heavy riffs in "Equilibrium"...what is he up to?