Solo Album Studio Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Winter

Winds
Jul 10, 2002
www.winds.ws
So I have returned home from recording of my solo album and I thought I would give an update and also answer some of the comments and questions about it from this board. And by the way, thanks for the kind words and interest in this little project of mine.

All the guys in Winds are keeping very busy these days and even if it seems we're always doing something, there's a lot of time that goes into preparing the different projects and sometimes it's just a coincedence that different projects seem to all happen at the same time. But we do like to keep busy and the music is our passion.

My solo project will probably be the only release from any of us for the first half of 2005, that is unless someone has something cooking that I don't know about. But for the latter part of the year and the beginning of 2006 it's going to be very busy, so you may all be tired of hearing about us before the end.

Anyway, the recordings went well. I was having somewhat of an off-day it seemed at first, probably due to the travelling and the fact that I didn't get too much sleep the night before. I had to drink a large amount of coffee to get me going, but once I got started things seemed to fall into place a little more.

I actually ended up playing a lot of things very differently than what I had rehearsed in advance, so this didn't end up exactly the way I had planned, but in the end I think that's probably a good thing because I like the feeling you get from something that's more a spur of the moment thing in stead of rehearsed over and over again. It just caught me somewhat by surprise how different it actually turned out, but I guess it's true how the saying goes, that theory and practice are two different things. I'm still quite satisfied with the results.

After the recording I went straight to the mastering studio where I had the pleasure of meeting up with the guy who mixed the Winds record with us, he did the mastering for me on this, and while I was there I also met a Canadian roots/country/folk singer by the name of Babe Gurr. She was finishing up something as I arrived, so we had the pleasure of talking. It's always interesting to talk to musicians who have been around for a while and who have a different perspective on things than you have yourself.

The mastering itself took very little time, just some small adjustments to the top end and it was ready to go. As I was about to leave with the master in my hand I started feeling very exhausted again, and I was glad it was over. I guess it was just one of those days, but hopefully this won't have any influence over the final result. I listened to it again today and for what it is I'm pretty happy with it. It's basically classical piano music, so if you're into that then this might be for you and if not then it probably won't be.

As it was announced yesterday the label is once again The End Records. Originally I thought it might be released on a new label by the name One-Zero-Zero-One but the plans for that label seem to have been scrapped, so it will be released on The End in stead. It will be a very limited edition disc so it will probably sell out very fast, and there are no plans to ever re-print this so it's going to be a very limited and very special edition disc. I'm also going to do the layout myself so it will be a solo cd in every aspect of the word.

I will reveal the title of the disc very shortly.

Regards,
Andy Winter

Put me down for one of the first prints of it ;). I DEFINATELY want this CD. Which studio were you at in Vancouver, if you don't mind me asking?

You said Winds was going into the studio with new material, when do you expect the release? early 2006?

Can't wait to hear this one! The piano segments on the Winds records are definitely a highlight for me, so this solo CD is definitely exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.