Solo vs. SYL?

IMO, Devin Townsend's solo works kill SYL(Save City, which is better than 2 of his solo works). Check out Infinity or AE one day, they were both easiest for me to get hooked on. Terria and Ocean Machine, IMO, are his masterpieces though.

As for what they are like...I'll let someone else explain that. I've never been able to explain his solo stuff.

I seem to be one of the few people who think SYL is way overrated. Not bad, but not great. His solo stuff on the other hand is some of the best music I've ever heard.

ok so far i've heard lots of people hyping up this solo work, but what is it? Metal? Rock? Jazz? I'm compeltely freaking lost on this, all i want to know is what the hell he does!:erk: :yell:

SYL or DTB it's always Dev's music,
however, it seems that those days Dev feels more comfortable with melodic/progressive heavy music. I read in a lot of interviews that he was sick of SYL style of music...It took him 6 years to write an another one, mainly because the guys in the band wanted it, but it seems that his solo stuff brings him more creativity, more possibilites...

Shit the guys in SYL are made to play metal for all their living, Dev is more than that when you listen to OM,Terria Infinity or AE...

For physicist it's different, Devw as really really really dowwwwnnnn...
when he wrote it, it was a bad era for him, so the album sounds maybe a bit weird on production, the songwriting is maybe a bit more simple, but for me it sounds good at 75%. I don't like songs like "death" for exemple, it brings nothing musically, emotionally, it's too basic, but songs like "namaste" "kingdom" "planet rain" jupiter" "material" kick ass, futuristic heavy pop songs..

Geoff

Devy_Metal said:
physicist is way better than city

I always loved physicist...some songs deserved a better production,
but it's great to hear that Dev, with simplicity, wrote a kick ass record

Death is an awesome song . Look at the title , listen to the song , that's it :cool:

I find the new SYL CD to be very boring indeed. There doesnt seem to be any variety and the riffs are fairly unimaginitive. I even found the production to be quite poor and muddy. I got to a point with the CD where I couldnt wait for it to end. City was brilliant though....