soloing: character/style or boredom/limitation?

Of course man. Everybody has their nitch.

Here's a great example:

I used to be obsessed with Shane Gibson's technique.. I'd get all worked up by watching his youtube videos.. I thought he had so much in his "lick vocabulary".. Don't get me wrong, he really does. And he's a phenomenal guitarist... Berklee Grad; won "Berklee's best guitarist" award and all.

But then I started collabing with him via skype, and I noticed that what he puts into his songs, is pretty much what he's "limited" to.. I use that term loosely. It's not so much limited as it is not even realizing that you do end up sticking to the same style/licks/patterns, until you really REALIZE it. That's why I've been video taping myself play any time I practice... That way I can watch/listen through and say "Fuck.. That's annoying.. I've played that like 3 times now.

Believe it or not, the same exact thing happened with the almighty Guthrie Govan. It left me quite dumbfounded, and it was actually a great confidence booster.

Haha, Satch is my favorite lead player ever honestly. His phrasing is so immaculate with both his composed melodies/solos and improvisation.
I don't really listen to instrumental virtuoso guitar stuff anymore, but Joe is the man.
I'll send the email address a bit later, off to bed soon.

Hmm, I've always been of the opinion that no speed is more or less forgiving than the other. Both have their easy and difficult points.
Playing guitar in general is just a challenging thing to do really.

Man, I've always wanted to love the trem arm but I just can't jive with it :(
It can work extremely well for some players. Jeff Beck is the undisputed master of the whammy bar from me.
Watching his performances from the last few years or so, and the stuff he does with the whammy bar is just UNREAL. His accuracy and musicality with it is just astounding. It's like he was seriously born with this gift of just being able to just truly understand it in a way no one else does.
Makes everybody else (Satch, Vai, etc) look like absolute hacks with the whammy bar.

I love Satch too man! His phrasing is so good...and a perfect example of a bluesy based guy that took it way further. Using exotic scales and modes, harmonics and FX abuse, incorporating world styles, different types of attack all that shit makes him a true virtuoso IMO.

Hey, I'm in a sharing mood too! :)...
Here's a solo from a song I'm working these days, it's a really rough mix, the backing track is from a demo recording actually, but you'll get the idea. Not as good as some solos I've heard here but what the hell... It's more on the melodic side, as most of my solos, but I try to throw some shreding here and there...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/316805/realesc/psy-/solo1.mp3

Jeff Beck is the undisputed master of the whammy bar from me.

Another master of the bar is Alex Lifeson. He has a such subtle way of always easing into or out of a notes with the bar - everything he does with the bar is magic, it's never the wrong thing to do it always just flow perfectly with his soloing. Never a crutch, always a tasteful addition.

To have half of his creative ability would be a blessing.

I think, influence is very important. For example...I absolutely love Glen Drover´s vibrato, Chris Poland´s bendings, Adrian Smith´s bluesy licks and Satriani´s legato playing. These basic influences mixed together automatically resulting one certain style - And of course I also spice it with some other influences, I snapped in the Jazz & Fusion genre. After all that, my personal ideas and feeling comes to light. HOW you bend it - with power or less. Dirty or clean. With passion!

Can totally relate to this, as virtually everything I do ends up sounding like Peter Wichers to some extent. :lol:

1:38 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/MP3/Writing/YouniversalFeb20.mp3 - I've posted this before and have never had time to properly mix it or anything but yeah, decently Wichers-esque.

It gets worse, though. :lol:

1:12 - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/MP3/Writing/10-23Glaloped.mp3 - It's the GTC3 competition song, but the only version I have in MP3 so minus vocals and with my original mix/POD gtrs. Basically all Wichers.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/MP3/Writing/LeadPicked.mp3 - Unfinished/unwritten last section, maybe less Wichers than before, but definitely Swedish, nonetheless!

Even in my band, the one true 'solo' on the upcoming record has total Wichers moments. From a tracking mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/392637/Bands/The Good age/Album/Tracking Bounces/TGALead083010.mp3

I just can't get away from that dude's phrasing. :lol:

I don't give a fuck how much your solos are influenced by Wichers, they're great. Especially the last one is an excellent example of good phrasing and technique.

I don't give a fuck how much your solos are influenced by Wichers, they're great. Especially the last one is an excellent example of good phrasing and technique.

Yeah I agree! Though nothing imo beats your guest solo, Kimon on "From this world into the next". This is godlike! :D Sorry I have to post this here, for the case someone has missed it. The solo battle is too spectacular to let it forget.

Guys, check Kimon´s, Wolfgang Zenk´s and Lasse Lammert´s solo on this tune here. Solo section is beginning at 2:30. I Dig all of em!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still trying to find my style.

The first solo I ever really wrote and recorded was on this song starting about 3:20 in

Had been playing Gtr for about two years and had just been locked away working on my chops and not really developing my style. I guess I got caught in the whole macho-esk trying to be the best player locally as to me then, chops = style, all I had to do was play things no one else could play and it was automatically unique.

Over the last two an half years since I guess I've come along way in terms of developing style, leaning more licks and getting more experience playing and writing more music, and more diverse music. I still find my self quite limited by what I'm playing over and how inspired I get by it. My new favorite solo is only a few notes played tastefully with exactly the melody i had in mind. I found that a revelation in my playing when I had already heard the solo I wanted to play and it just translated naturally to my hands.

Also probably use too much harmonic minor, Pythian dominant and dim7 arps. Have a habit of harmonizing sweeps to much, sometimes to the extent of forming full triadic harmony.

Last edited by a moderator:
^Fuck man, complaining about harmonizing sweeps too much?
Dude, I fucking wish I could at least sweep cleanly at all, let alone be able to be good enough to harmonize the damn things.
I guess if you practice that stuff a lot, it's easy for you and you don't think of it as amazing, but from the perspective of something who can't come close to being able to do it, that's seriously crazy chops I give mad props too.

Easy recognizeable because I always play the same shit over and over...but I'm no solo player in general...
...but I have fun with the few blues licks I'm able to pull off^^

I think it depends on the way how you approach a solo...some guys hear what they have to do and some just make up licks on the fly.
the soli I tend to do mostly transform to harmonized lead parts.
but so far I licked every solo from you I heared Lasse!

edit: since theres been some sharing...
the solo I tried for Felix' song for M&M "Ballad of Roland D.O.G."
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3961577/Roland_DOG_MagoSolo.mp3
took me like ages to come up with this short shit :p

edit: since theres been some sharing...
the solo I tried for Felix' song for M&M "Ballad of Roland D.O.G."
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3961577/Roland_DOG_MagoSolo.mp3
took me like ages to come up with this short shit :p
[/QUOTE]

Dude, your solo is fucking cool, indeed!! Nice overtones and harmonics :kickass: I´m diggin´ your style.

Edit: btw I tryed a solo, as well, for this track :) We both failed kicking Oliver "Azistenostora" off the lead guitar throne :lol:

Felix lead: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2414899/Roland_solo_Felix.mp3

^Fuck man, complaining about harmonizing sweeps too much?
Dude, I fucking wish I could at least sweep cleanly at all, let alone be able to be good enough to harmonize the damn things.
I guess if you practice that stuff a lot, it's easy for you and you don't think of it as amazing, but from the perspective of something who can't come close to being able to do it, that's seriously crazy chops I give mad props too.

Thanks heaps dude. Now to begin getting said chops back. It's weird how to become a better musician I had to become a worse guitar player lol.

haha thanks man...I still remember my GF going rampage on me when I recorded this because it took so long to get something together and then I played it 1000 times to get the best take and she couldnt hear it anymore :lol:
lol @ failing to kick Oliver: I don't even think about beeing competitive to players like you two in doing solo ;)

haha thanks man...I still remember my GF going rampage on me when I recorded this because it took so long to get something together and then I played it 1000 times to get the best take and she couldnt hear it anymore :lol:

My wife has gotten remarkably good at completely ignoring me and almost anything I do musically :p

lol @ failing to kick Oliver: I don't even think about beeing competitive to players like you two in doing solo ;)

+10000