Some more of my recent mixes... Lilitu

abigailwilliams said:
what are you listening on?

The snare on the demo is a fat one, me likes snares with a brilliant attack sound that's just it, say it's like when you're away from the drumkit and listen to the drummer playing, you hear a brilliant sound.
If you're sitting on drums and playing, you're listenig to a fat sound as the one james recorded, and that's a sound that it's not my favorite one.
When the drummer plays fast parts on this demo the attack is very pronounced, when he's not playing fast stuff it's not.
it's a personal taste, end of the story.
Just my thought!
I'm not telling you that james did a bad sounding demo, I like it a lot, it's clear, it's heavy, it has everything that a good recording should have.

Maurizio

actually it's quite the opposite of what you said... plenty of attack on slow parts.. not as much at all on the faster bits... just like real llife... how you are managing to hear this in reverse is.... very odd.

yep, listening again now.. you got it bass ackwards. oh well... sure you're not related to jp22? :p

p.s.... didn't really have to listen again. i automated a lowpass filter on the fast bits.. blasts, rolls, fills. etc.

James Murphy said:
actually it's quite the opposite of what you said... plenty of attack on slow parts.. not as much at all on the faster bits... just like real llife... how you are managing to hear this in reverse is.... very odd.

Sorry, I was meaning that on fast parts snare is loosing lowend so it shows a more pronounced brilliant attack, I was telling that...
Have used samples on the snare?
On fast parts this drummer is really consistant, like a drummachine.

James Murphy said:
yep, listening again now.. you got it bass ackwards. oh well... sure you're not related to jp22? :p

what's jp22 James?

It all sounds really good to me, Yes the snare did stand out a bit at first but mainly because its a little different to the norm. Sounds great though. Its a fine sounding snare/ song/ mix/ production.

Gotta ask though... If these are demos what would you do differently for album tracks. These sound releasable as they are??

James Murphy said:
anyway, i put these mixes up more to expose the bands than to be critiqued. i've been around awhile doing this i'm not looking for advice from you guys per se, though you're welcome to if you want.. just don't get angry if i don't agree ... i'm showcasing the bands really, giving them some exposure to potential new fans, and giving you all a chance to ask me things, like "what i used?" and "how i did this or that?". i'm not really interested in being "tutored" here.. except perhaps by Andy ;). you can't blame me, i look to my peer group for things like that, just as everyone else in the world does.
:D hehe. I can understand that.
James, once again I really think you did a great job and that's all that matters.
Sounds like you have a strong sonic identity:headbang: . You just can't please everybody on every single details. We all know that because we are all different. I think I undersand what kamao is saying even if he can't find the right technical words. I personally like the snare very much. I think it fits perfectly in the mix. The truth is we are the worst listener here cause we are listening to a technical level instead of listening the whole sonic picture.
What I am saying is just, relax man, we love you, and if kamao doesn't like the snare, that doen't mean it isn't good. And if I'd like more dynamic room, that doesn't mean that it has not enough. ;) \m/

~BURNY~ said:
I think I undersand what kamao is saying even if he can't find the right technical words. I personally like the snare very much. I think it fits perfectly in the mix\m/

Technical words?
I said that on fast parts loose some lowend, but it's clear that on non-fast parts it has a lot of lowend.
Again: I love that mix, is just a matter of taste about the snare, I didn't say "Hey James your snare is hidden in the mix" or something like that.
Here I talked about personal taste, I always said "it is down to personal taste" nothin more nothing less.
I don't think James is pissed off about what I said.

p.s. I'm Kaomao (not kamao) ;) or Maurizio if you like it better

:oops: Sorry dude. :err:
I don't think he's pissed off too... And I'm not assuming you can't express yourself on a technical level. Sometimes my english is so bad I'm not sure people understand what I'm saying...

no, no.. i'm not pissed off... don't worry about that you guys. but do keep in mind that i said i automated a lowpass filter on the fast snare bits..... lowpass = hi cut. ... so it means i turned down the hi end on the fast bits... i left the low end alone. ;)

edit: also i left the volume alone in blasts.. didn't kill the dynamic by making the blasts unnaturally loud...

this has the effect of losing some power in the fast bits.. especially blasts... but this is how drummers actually play.. i fear sometimes that people are getting too used to really bad snare replacement... where every snare is the same and blasts sound like a machine-gun. :(

James Murphy said:
yeah.. i hear ya. tuning does have an impact though... but, as i mentioned already, i'm most happy with the snare.. drums in general really, with this mix.... it's definitely a brighter guitar sound than i normally go for, but i do think it's appropriate and not particulary fatiguing. having said that, i would probably change it a bit if i were to remix right now... but wouldn't necessarily make it a lot less "bright".... just perhaps even things out a bit more. ;)

I quite like the snare personally. I can enjoy that type of snare sound, as well as a brighter one. But, I think it sounds nice in the mix and compliments the recording well. With the slightly brighter guitar sound, I think a brighter snare sound may have been overkill IMO. There's definitely plenty of attack, though.

As for the guitar sound, I really enjoy the brightness of it. In fact, I think that a lot of recordings these days have a guitar tone that's a bit too dull for my personal taste, so it's refreshing to me to hear a slightly brighter guitar sound. I don't think it should be overly bright and piercing (such as Metallica's "And Justice for All"), but I think a little extra brightness like on these recordings sounds great and is a welcome change from what seems to (unfortunately in my opinion) be the norm these days.

Kazrog said:
He's been a troll around here several times before. This isn't an isolated incident. :err:

Ok man, I would like you to tell me how I have been like a "troll". I find that most offensive!

Seriously though, like one of the guys said before, in using the term "Gay" this is merely a run of the mill word used in the uk. to describe something which sounds crappy.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
it's more the fact that you're dissing someones shit when they hang around here doofus

Can no one express a critical opinion on this forum? It seems that if you do that everybody takes offence.

Fair enough, I used a silly word in "gay", but I do not believe that the music of this band is very good, in my opinion, of course.

Ive had negative feedback from my band a lot and I respect these opinions and just get on with it. Fair enough i say.

Fyhed said:
Can no one express a critical opinion on this forum? It seems that if you do that everybody takes offence.

Fair enough, I used a silly word in "gay", but I do not believe that the music of this band is very good, in my opinion, of course.

Ive had negative feedback from my band a lot and I respect these opinions and just get on with it. Fair enough i say.

Constructive criticism is one thing, calling something "gay" is another, that provides nothing of value - it's senseless bashing - and yes, we use the term in the US in the same context as you do, that's not the issue. If you don't personally like something as a matter of taste, keep it to yourself, or phrase it in a more objective sense like "this style isn't my cup of tea" or something to that effect.

I called you a troll because I've observed you bashing things on this forum in a similar fashion to what you've done here. I'll gladly take this back and let it go if you stop making mindlessly negative posts.

Kazrog said:
Constructive criticism is one thing, calling something "gay" is another, that provides nothing of value - it's senseless bashing - and yes, we use the term in the US in the same context as you do, that's not the issue. If you don't personally like something as a matter of taste, keep it to yourself, or phrase it in a more objective sense like "this style isn't my cup of tea" or something to that effect.

I called you a troll because I've observed you bashing things on this forum in a similar fashion to what you've done here. I'll gladly take this back and let it go if you stop making mindlessly negative posts.

For future reference, alternative politically correct terms to use as opposed to the “g-word”:
1. Sounds like Kelly Gray produced it
2. Sounds like James Hetfield wrote it
3. Sounds like Nitro listens to it (haha j/k)

:loco: