Some questions to Katatonia obessed people.

Catoya

~Catoya
Feb 24, 2009
Sweden
So here I am doing a work for school about Katatonia. This includes the bands history, the albums and interviews.. So I need 2-4 people to answer some questions, I will soon write them down since I have class soon.. But I'll get them up in some hours, just tell me if anyones interessted in helping me out ^^

Thank you all :)

Okey, first for the basic questions

What's your name and where do you come from?
What's your age?
What's the type of music you mostly listen too?

Okey, thanx for that :) Lets continue.
Let's get this started.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct?

How long have you followed the band?

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?

How did you first get in touch with their music?

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia?

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop?

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that?

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them?

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best?

What do you think makes the band so special?

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ?

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes?

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music?

Thank you for the answers it's gonna help alot :) Maybe I'll stick in another question or two if I come up with something but for the moment Im happy for what I can get. You are gonna be a big help to me :)

Well not sure if i were supposed to answer but for the sake of writing i'll answer:

My real name is Santeri and I come from Helsinki, Finland. I'm 18-years-old and mostly I listen to Metal, Funk, jazz and some R'n'b with some soul influences (Craig David etc). I also like alot some 80's new age stuff and some rock'n'roll if it includes nice guitars.

Yes I guess I could be called a Katatonia nerd and that's prolly why I visit here :p

I haven't been listening to katatonia that long, some 2 years or so.

I certainly think that Katatonia is a band that I won't leave hanging around since i've listened it so intesively and still continue to do that.

I heard that Mikael from Opeth sang in it and then I downloaded (sorry) TGCD and soon after that I bought all the other records.

First song I listened was probably July when I checked it from youtube.

Yes, I own all of their albums and Live Consternation cs.

I guess my favourite songs is Brave, Murder and maybe Evidence or Follower. They all are so stuffed with emotion and feeling that it gives me shivers.

I have seen them live only once at a Festival in finland. I was so enthuastic in the concert that I cant even describe it in words.

As the best album I have to pic Brave Murder Day.

I think Katatonia is just so unique with all the emotional lyrics and music and epic singing and stuff. I don't really know why I like Katatonia that much but it just hits me hard :p

I dont have any pictures of any band on the walls but I must say that Im really obsessed with Katatonia :p

I really cant say anything about the next album since I have no idea what kind of music it'll be but I have really high hopes for it :p

What's your name and where do you come from? Dan, England.

What's your age? 19.

What's the type of music you mostly listen too? Either black metal or electronic/ambient stuff.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? More a way to waste time.

How long have you followed the band? About six years.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Yeah.

How did you first get in touch with their music? DLed Brave Murder Day.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Most likely Brave.

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? I own Brave Murder Day, Dance Of December Souls and Viva Emptiness. My dad owns all the other albums.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? Evidence, My Twin and Murder. They're great.

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? Seen them twice, at Hellfest and in London. Great both times.

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Brave Murder Day, prolly because it was the first I heard.

What do you think makes the band so special? They haven't released a bad album thus far and have a fairly varied catalogue now.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? No.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? I'm sure it will be good, I guess maybe sounding like TGCD but maybe more electronic kinda stuff thrown in, I dunno.

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? I don't think I know anyone who really dislikes them.

(Kitiini Thank you so much :) I know! They are awesome live! Its really that you can't put words to it :eek: and hey, one + for you on July (both times ^^) its really wonderful)

Adam, Australia
What's your age? 18
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? Death Metal and anything depressing hehehe.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? Indeed

How long have you followed the band? Since 2004

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Yep - definitely. One of the most moving bands I've ever listened to.

How did you first get in touch with their music? Heard from a friend

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? "I Break"

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? Bought most of their albums from a shop.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that?

I Break. Was the first song I heard from them, and it simply stood out from anything I'd ever heard.

Haven't seen them live... they should come to Australia!

The Great Cold Distance album. It left me speechless, it has so many different layers... it's hard to describe.

I think they have a knack for creating dark music.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ?

Nope. But I would like a poster...

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes?

They haven't done a bad album yet in my opinion and I hope they have some heavy songs on it.

People I've introduced them to think it's depressing music.

What's your name and where do you come from? Danny Heater from Michigan, USA

What's your age? 18.....and a half

What's the type of music you mostly listen too? no preference, but since its summer anything nostalgic

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? my friends hate me for it

How long have you followed the band? since Viva Emptiness

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? I don't even have to think about it, they're my favorite band so of course

How did you first get in touch with their music? watching the Opeth - Lamentations dvd and mendez had one of their shirts on so I bought a record

Which was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Evidence

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? I got most of them at borders and amazon but all the LP's off ebay

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? top 5: evidence because it's painfully familiar, no devotion because of the outro, in the white because of the lyrics, instrumental because of what I relate it to, and the future of speech because of..all of it

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? I saw them twice, once opening for moonspell and the next as headliners. the first show was awesome but short, they played what I expected, but the second show was mindblowing because of the setlist. They need to add more EP tracks to the sets

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? favorite EP is either sounds of decay or saw you drown, it's so hard to pick between them because they're both flawless, saw you drown has quiet world and scarlet heavens...sounds of decay has nowhere and untrue...but my twin has displaced and dissolving bonds...goddammit there's too many good EP's

What do you think makes the band so special? they're full immersion into depression and lack of stale ideas lyrically and musically, plus anders has his style of composing that is unparalleled, daniel's drumming brings a whole new level of fury, and jonas' lyrics as far as arrangement and diction goes are very much his own

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? I don't have any posters but I spent all my money buying their rare stuff...worth it!

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? I take their albums as colors, just as the album art suggests, and I see an incredibly bleak future as far as the sound goes, perhaps a mix of what Amesoeurs have been doing with a more modern brave murder day atmosphere

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? they just say "...it's ok" dumbasses

What's your name and where do you come from? Hershel Hindlick III, Germany
What's your age? 29
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? everything really....

Okey, thanx for that Lets continue.
Let's get this started.

Wait, time out...I need a break, I had no idea how draining this would be...

Thank you :) I can see the band from diffrent opinions now, pretty interessting actually :) So, this is gonna help out alot and i thank you on my knees ^^ You all can get a cyberhug if you want, if not, ignore it :)

HauntedInFlames: Really interessting, we almost have the same story going on :)

Nehebkau: I really agree with you on most of the points, especially that they should go to Australia or atleast large up their tours :s ^^

tagradh: See you really don't wanna admit you're a Katatonia nerd, but Evidence and My Twin are two awesome songs :)

Kitiini: As I said before, + for July and the speechless Live shows :D

Ofcourse people, you can still answer the questions and maybe I'll take yor answers with me in the schoolwork aswell :) Thanks again!

Nils, Berlin, Germany

What's your age?

metal, 'alternative', skapunk

Exactly.

Since 2006

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?
Oh yes.

I ordered Viva Emptiness on a whim after it was recommended to me as music to cry to.

Ghost of The Sun

Of course.

Hard to say..
-Had to (leave) because of the awesome chrous riff
-right into the bliss for the ambivalent lyrics
-in the white because I relate to it strongly

No.. they haven't been here since 06

Last fair Deal Gone Down, because it is right between all their styles

the honesty, dark lyrics, jonas voice and wonderful songwriting

The only band I'd consider myself a fanboy of.

I trust that it will be good.. and have no idea what it will be.

eitehr disturbing depressive stuff or weak emo shit, depending on background and musical taste. and from time to time outsider think its wonderful too and become fans.

Bryan, Ireland(Eire)

What's your age?

Metal of different genres but also classic rock/prog, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc..

Yes?

Just over one year.

Yes definitely.

My housemate at the time was listening to The Great Cold Distance while we were in his girlfriend's car.

Leaders

None on cd. Only vinyl.

Dispossession (Jonas' voice and lyrics. Also the main melody line for the guitar.

My Twin (It reminds me of the different relationships I have gone through in my life)

Relention (Jonas' voice and the lyrics. They just resonate in me)

Yes. I saw them perform at Melloboat in 2008. It was excellent.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Discouraged Ones are my favourites. I can't choose one or the other. Everything about those albums appeal to me in some way or another. The guitars, the lyrics especially and Jonas' voice all mix with each other and create a fantastic aura.

Anders' guitar parts and Jonas' voice.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? I listen to them more than any other band. I don't have any pictures of them on my wall but I do have a katatonia sticker that Anders made out to me. I have it framed and it sits beside my computer monitor.

I don't know how it will sound. I think it will be a natural progression from TGCD but also something new with the more of the electronic influences like the track Unfurl thrown in.

Most people I have played them to like them.

I think you already got enough answers but here goes:

What's your name and where do you come from? Tero
What's your age? 32
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? Rock and metal.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? Yep, that's why I'm here

How long have you followed the band? Since Tonight's Decision came out back in 1999. So about 10 years.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Hell yeah.

How did you first get in touch with their music? Back in '99 my fave band was Sentenced. When Tonight's Decision came out, I read review about it on Finnish Soundi mag. Reviewer gave album full 5 stars and made some comparision to Sentenced. Next day I went and got Tonight's Decision and loved the album right away. I think I listened to Tonight's Decision for 1,5 months straight without listening to anything else. After that I got Discouraged Ones and it spinned next 1,5 months on my CD player with occasionally switching to TD.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? For My Demons

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? Everything Katatonia has released besides original Ihva Elohim Meth the Revival demo and Saw You Drown mcd. They're so rare that you can basically get them only from Ebay and price is always high. 20 pieces (CD and/or DVD) of Katatonia brilliance altogether.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? This is difficult one, but I'd say Saw You Drown, For My Demons, Sweet Nurse, Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? I've seen them live 4 times here in Finland. And they've always rocked. Perhaps the setup on Tuska Open Air Festival 2001 didn't suite their music very well as it was about +30 celsius, sun shining from clear sky directly to stage, but they were still awesome.

The best Katatonia gig was at Klubi at Tampere. It's a small venue and I was in front row, just in front of Anders and about 2 meters from Jonas. Had no voice left next day for singing so loud and ears were also ringing but it was well worth it. The best gig I've ever seen!

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? I honestly can't pick only one of their albums to be the best. But as I've probably listened to Discouraged Ones the most, that could be answer to your question.

What do you think makes the band so special? Music, lyrics, musical brilliance of especially Anders and Jonas. Their very humble Scandinavian being. It's mind-blowing to realize that my three favorite musicians are best of friends in real life - meaning of course Anders, Jonas and Micke Åkerfeldt.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? Yep, I've got Viva Emptiness poster (signed by Norrman bros at Säätämö club in Turku) on wall.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? Well, I've yet to hear even mediocre song from them - each one since today has been brilliant, so I'd have to say that my hopes are very high. And it will sound Katatonia :headbang:

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? At least what my friends are always telling me, is that they're too sorrowful and melancholic. But that's just the way good music is. As MoonTV metal show host Johanna Kiiskinen said back in 200something "Positiivisuus on perseestä", which translates in to "Positivity sucks".

What's your name? Anthony
where do you come from? Philadelphia, PA USA
What's your age? 29
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? doom metal, gothic metal, death metal, black metal, progressive metal

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? yup

How long have you followed the band? since 1999

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? yes

How did you first get in touch with their music? ex girlfriend bought me a cd on ebay and they threw in Brave Murder Day for free

Which was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Brave

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? yes

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? hmmmmm...... Strained

Have you ever seen them live? 14 times

If so, how was it and when did you see them? amazing
June 4th BW&BK Fest Cleveland, OH USA
April 22nd Mean Fiddler London United Kingdom
October 20th The Loft Poughkeepsie, NY USA
October 21st Mark's Place Bedford, NH USA
October 22nd B.B. Kings New York City. NY USA
November 17th Jaxx Springfield, VA USA
November 18th Revolution Hall Troy, NY USA
November 19th Webster Theatre Hartford, CT USA
September 4th Jaxx Springfield, VA USA
September 5th Webster Theatre Hartford, CT USA
September 6th B.B. Kings New York, NY USA
September 8th Chance Theater Poughkeepsie, NY USA
September 19th Whiskey Hollywood, CA USA
September 20th Showcase Theater Corona, CA USA

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Last Fair Deal Gone Down

What do you think makes the band so special? the music they play

Are you really obsessed with them? They are my favorite band
Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band also? I have a Viva Emptiness poster on my wall

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? I am sure it will sound awesome, Katatonia never lets me down

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? Most people I play them for like them.

This is all actually really interesting to read, good list of questions.

What's your name and where do you come from? My name's Ben and I'm from New Zealand
What's your age? 21
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? Mainly metal (especially Doom/Death) but I like to mix it up with a few other things too sometimes.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? I sure am

How long have you followed the band? four or five years

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Without a doubt

How did you first get in touch with their music? Heard about them through Opeth at first, then brought Brave Yester Days of all things haha

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Saw you drown, I think

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? Got all their albums from shops

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? This is a tough one, it's hard to pick one I don't like. Um, Dispossession, Burn the Remembrance, Unfurl amongst others just off the top of my head. They all give me "that" Katatonia feeling, i'm sure you know what I mean :)

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? I wish! one day...

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Last fair deal gone down, right now. The answer to this question changes from time to time haha. Last fair deal gone down just encompasses everything that is Katatonia to me.

What do you think makes the band so special? You know what? i really don't know, wish I did.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? Well I don't have any posters on my walls (mainly because I don't have any), but I would say I have a healthy obsession.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? Of course I have high hopes, it's Katatonia. I have know idea how it will sound though, but that's what I'm looking forward to. It will be great, I can tell you that much.

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? People I play Katatonia to like it, but most of them just don't get "that" Katatonia feeling :)

What's your name and where do you come from? Ben
What's your age? 19
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? metal, ambient, chillout, jazz, and anything that is 'atmospheric', original or 'emotional'; i tend to get tired of songs that you can tell had no thought put into them.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? nope, i only own 6 of their albums, although the way things are going, i'll probably be a nerd in no time haha.

How long have you followed the band? half a year maybe.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? definitely.

How did you first get in touch with their music? through Opeth- heard mike mentioning how he is friends with jonas.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? consternation.

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? brave murder day, TGCD, discouraged ones, tonight's decision, ghost of the sun, last fair deal gone down (all purchased online).

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? in the white, murder, a darkness coming, rainroom. it changes regularly though, but i guess i love each of these songs because they are emotive, and musically interesting.

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? nope. i hope to one day though.
Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? TGCD. it's very well-rounded, every instrument makes an important contribution, and i love every song on it.

What do you think makes the band so special? originality, beautiful use of melancholia, fairly varied styles of music etc.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? no, but i do recommend them to certain people.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? probably relatively similar to TGCD, but, other than that, i have no idea. high hopes- yes indeed!

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? well, some of my friends love some of the songs on TGCD, but they all think that the older stuff is too 'depressing'. i guess not everyone can appreciate/enjoy melancholic music, so i've given up on trying to get people into their older stuff.

What's your name and where do you come from? Ben
What's your age? 19
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? metal, ambient, chillout, jazz, and anything that is 'atmospheric', original or 'emotional'; i tend to get tired of songs that you can tell had no thought put into them.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? i'm not sure i can claim that status yet, i only own 6 of their albums, although the way things are going, i'll probably be a nerd in no time haha.

How long have you followed the band? half a year maybe.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? definitely.

How did you first get in touch with their music? through Opeth- heard mike mentioning how he is friends with jonas.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? consternation.

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? brave murder day, TGCD, discouraged ones, tonight's decision, ghost of the sun, last fair deal gone down (all purchased online).

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? in the white, murder, a darkness coming, rainroom. it changes regularly though, but i guess i love each of these songs because they are emotive, and musically interesting.

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? nope. i hope to one day though.
Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? TGCD. it's very well-rounded, every instrument makes an important contribution, and i love every song on it.

What do you think makes the band so special? originality, beautiful use of melancholia, fairly varied styles of music etc.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? no, but i do recommend them to certain people.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? probably relatively similar to TGCD, but, other than that, i have no idea. high hopes- yes indeed!

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? well, some of my friends love some of the songs on TGCD, but they all think that the older stuff is too 'depressing'. i guess not everyone can appreciate/enjoy melancholic music, so i've given up on trying to get people into their older stuff.

I see you got enough answers but this is fun to read others.

What's your name and where do you come from? Kate, Australia
What's your age? 27
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? Anything with darkness in it.

I don't really think so. I don't feel like I need to obsessively collect their shit I just like the music a lot. Also I think the people that post here who reply like know it alls when someone asks a simple question are annoying.

How long have you followed the band? Since I was in highschool (1997) and I heard them on Firestarter, some Century Media compilation. 12 years, and still haven't seen them live. *sigh*

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Yes.

How did you first get in touch with their music? My boyfriend came back from Finland and gave me that Firestarter cd and then I got some of their stuff on tapes from friends cause I couldn't afford any cds then.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Murder

Most of them I would say.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? Help Me Disappear, Teargas, Murder

No they haven't been to Australia and I always missed them when I am in Europe.

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Tonights Decision cause I find it has the best and most meaningful lyrics.

The atmosphere they create, Anders "whiny" guitar sound is unique, Jonas voice is sadness and the lyrics feel like I wrote it myself.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? I have the posters from some albums on my loungeroom walls in frames.

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? Not really to be honest, I didn't like the last one that much.

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? Don't know anyone that would even know who they are if they didn't like their music. Though most metalheads I know hated them from Viva Emptiness and everything after that.