Some questions to Katatonia obessed people.

What's your name and where do you come from? [/B
]Torgny, Norway

What's your age? [/B
]30

What's the type of music you mostly listen too?
Metal, Electronic, alternative singysongwriter, prog/rock and just plain pop/rock, synthpop.. EVERYTHING really...but this is what is played the most.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? I'm more of a geek I think..not nerd, they are more thorough in their research. Sudden obsession after TGCD..never saw it coming.

How long have you followed the band?
Since The Last Fair Deal Gone Down...but wasn't a huge fan back then.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?
I almost never give up on bands I like a lot, so I'm 90% sure I'll be listening to them. If I'll be on a forum like now is uncertain though.

How did you first get in touch with their music?
A friend played The Last Fair Deal Gone Down for me.

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia?
Tonight's Music

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop?
All of them..don't like downloading stuff that I like. Need the whole shebang.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that?
It will change from month to month but the most consistent is Leaders, Tonight's Music, Cold Ways, In Death, A Song, Wealth. All the songs either have something darkness that feels good to me (Cold ways and Tonight's Music are the best examples from my list I think). Leaders is an example of the new Katatonia I think, where suddenly..there's a kickass bass and drums which is fantastic to my ears..and a dark groove which is sorely missed within this kind of music. In Death, A Song there's again the groove thing. Wealth has great use of vocal effects and is unpredictable in a good way. And...blablabla..

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them?
Never actually..they got sick the last time they where in Norway. But of course..I wasn't a big fan back then.

Pick your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Argh..hard question..sorry, can't answer it.

What do you think makes the band so special? Jonas's voice, their dark yet fresh dark soundscapes and their constant way of renewing themselves in a way that works.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ?

Nope, of course..one of the album covers might make it somewhere some day. Not very likely though..

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes?
Hopefully there's some songs like Leaders there, diverse soundscapes, something new...(like a Ukulele)..haha, for some reason I just want that. All in all I just want a combination of Discouraged Ones, TGCD and VE. THat's not hard to make right? ;)

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music?
My gf likes them all all of a sudden and most people seem pleasantly surprised when I play it. "What's this you're playing now?", "Katatonia eh? Oh..neat"
But of course..I have to choose the songs that fit their taste the most. So seldom the hardest songs.

Btw, these questions should be questions that new members of the forum could answer when they join. These are good questions.
The only question that needs to be changed a bit would be "Katatonia is working on a new album...". Could be changed to "How do you think the next Katatonia album will sound?"

What's your name and where do you come from?
Chris, England

What's your age?

Extreme metal, goth/post-punk, new wave, psychedelic rock

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct?
I'm not really a "katatonia nerd", but I do love them a lot.

First heard them just over 2 years ago, became a fan just over a year and a half ago.

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?
You know what, I hope so.

Their myspace

My Twin

What? Katatonia albums? I bought them all in music shops.

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that?

Ok..some random favourites..Black Erotica, Brave, At Last, Saw You Drown, Dispossession, Omerta....many more favourites than those though

I'm seeing them for the first time later this year.

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best?
Favourite album probably Brave Murder Day. It just hold a special place in me. Favourite EP Saw you Drown, cause of "Scarlet Heavens".

What do you think makes the band so special?
This is subjective but for me, their music just touches me.

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ?
Not like OBSESSED, but I do love em

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes?

I'm curious, but i'm fairly faithful that they won't dissapoint.

Probably "emo shit" or something, but whatever. I know I love them so fuck it

Hope that helps:loco:

Btw, these questions should be questions that new members of the forum could answer when they join. These are good questions.
The only question that needs to be changed a bit would be "Katatonia is working on a new album...". Could be changed to "How do you think the next Katatonia album will sound?"

Maybe you got a point but maybe some questions could be added or slightly changed. I would probably go for it, since maybe I should answer theese questions myself? Haha, but who knows.. Maybe someone will make it happend that the new members get do do as you suggest :p

I think it's time for your answers ;)

Oh really? ;) ^^' well then, here goes nothing then ^^

My name is Veronica and I live in Sweden

What's your age?
Im 16

Mostly I listen to Death metal and probably alot of metal otherwise, idustrial electronic music, speedcore and such stuff, Im pretty open about it and an example for that is that I love Poets of the fall since Marko has such a beautiful voice :eek: and the lyrics <3

Oh yes, Im pretty obsessed about them, but I have to be sad and say it comes in waves :/

I have followed the band for about 4,5 years, never really got tierd of them but have had one or two another band I've got stuck on but Katatonia is always in my playlist.

Oh hell yes!

My sis had got some songs from our friend and we had this RP char that a song (evidence) was perfect for.

It was actually Criminals, after that.. Jonas voice and the sound was stuck.

I have to dissapoint you to say that I don't have any albums at home :/ but on the computer I have almost every album 'cause my friend sent me them. But Im sometimes so close on ordering some :S

Oh this is really a hard one for myself.. I just love pretty much every song.. But I will limit it down a bit..
I have to say July since oh god.. Its scary how the lyrics crawls in my spine everytime I hear it. Evidence since its so close to me. In the white, Jonas voice mixed with the lyrics.. Its someting that you will never forget. Instrumental is just put together so beautifully, its a masterpiece. Walking By a wire since.. Oh well I just might give that one up, its no use trying to put some words to that one. (then Ghost of the sun, Murder, Teargas, Sleeper and My Twin are also some more of the favorites).

Yes, I actually saw them live not so long ago, it was the 14 march on Minus 30. I've also put together a thread about it as you might have already seen. I must say that Murder live.. I thought I was gonna die .__. And me and my firends also got them to play July.

I guess I would have to pic out TGCD and Last fair deal gone down.. I can't realy choose. The Grate Cold distance because it has this calming sound but even so its rough as if you get the feeling that you have to keep fighting for what you want, and its there to comfort you. Last Fair Deal Gone Down has just plugged itself in my body and I can't get it out.. The sound is so amazing and compared to other bands, that has never happend to me because of some lyrics and instruments put together.

As many have already said, Jonas voice is what I hold near. And as reading the bands history and an interwiev with Jonas its easy to get to know the band even though you don't.. I guess since they always lack of money they constantly put their souls into the albums, ever since the beginning. Thats what I think makes the band special.

Oh yeah, I have 3 Katatonia "Posters" on my wall.. Since Im a poor fucker I print them out at school, but I guess that makes me obessed with them. (+ I really got obessed with them now after I saw them live .__.)

Yeah I think I have pretty high hopes but I won't be dissapointed either since I don't think they have failed yet on album or song.

I don't know.. The ones I have played Katatonia for liked it and even got a little obessed with them. But there are people that might not like every sound they have. But when it comes to songs like Teargas and Unfurl, I might guess it goes home at most people.

:)

Ryan out of Houston Texas USA
What's your age?
Whatever strikes me at the time. Mostly European metal.

Okey, thanx for that Lets continue.
Let's get this started.

Aye.
Since Viva Emptiness

Definitely.
Through browsing Opeth's website.
Ghost of the Sun
Yes.
Tonight's Music. Hits home every time.
Twice on both of their US Tours
Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I love the album's sound and it calms my soul.
They speak about how much they're like us, same problems, same deliberations.
if anyone stole my katatonia hat I'd rip their spine out.
I think it will sound darker and more sinister than it's predecessors.
"Ryan why do you always listen to this depressing shit"

lisa. florida
What's your age?
heavy metal, doom metal, death/black metal, and classical music (I play the piano)
i always listen to it, and i have a crush on jonas if that counts.
2 years and counting
hell yeah
a friend introduced it to me
july
cant afford it yet, i listen to the songs on my laptop
"o how i enjoy the light", reminds me of certain times.
Have you ever seen them live?
no. :erk: but goddamnit i want to
Last Fair Deal Gone Down and The Great Cold Distance
they have so much talent. the lyrics are deep, the music seems to speak, jonas' voice, guitars, drums. and they sound really good live
Are you really obsessed with them?
yeah i listen to them the most
yeah..they'll be good
i got 1 person into katatonia, the rest hate it.

Okey, first for the basic questions

What's your name and where do you come from? martina..bologna italy
What's your age? 22
What's the type of music you mostly listen too? metal (no power!) dark, rock and classical music (for study..i'm a classical singer/soprano)

Okey, thanx for that :) Lets continue.
Let's get this started.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? it's one of my fouvorite bands

How long have you followed the band? 2003

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? oh yes yes!!

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? dispossession
Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? no.......i bought them at the record shop

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? oh my god........complicity, leaders, in the withe, the future of speech.....and many many more!!!

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? yes, bologna dark fest 2008

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? i love all the cd!

What do you think makes the band so special? everything....the emotions that their music give to me...

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? really really obsessed...no........

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? no...........i think that it will be another great album!!!!!!

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? i don't care about this!

Thank you for the answers it's gonna help alot :) Maybe I'll stick in another question or two if I come up with something but for the moment Im happy for what I can get. You are gonna be a big help to me :)[/QUOTE]

I guess I can answer this too.

My name is Alexander (Alex) and I come from this small town in Sweden.

What's your age?
I'm 18, 19 this summer.
Everything from trvekvlt vndergr0und blakk metulz to pop and classical. Basically everything except hip-hop and r'n'b.

Yes, that is correct.

Think I first heard them some time in 2006. However the obsession really started in 2007.

Most definitely.

Through Opeth. Heard Åkerfeldt did some vocals for some album. So I downloaded some songs.

Don't remember which was the absolute first. But these were some of the first: Without God, Elohim Meth, Tomb of Insomnia, Endtime, Nowhere, Burn the Remembrance, Strained and Saw You Drown.

All studio albums on CD, three on vinyl. One EP on vinyl, one on CD. Also have two singles.

This is basically impossible for me. I'll try to pick 5 that covers their whole career in some way.
1. Endtime - Probably the first song I heard by them. Everything about it is perfect. Especially the atmosphere.
2. Saw You Drown - Also one of the first that I heard. Depressingly beautiful in every way.
3. Sulfur - Best B-side ever. Period.
4. Ghost of the Sun - I can't really choose one favorite from VE. But I think this sums up the album quite well.
5. Leaders - Easily my favorite of TGCD.

I haven't. Real shame. But if I would get to see one (active) band today it would be these guys.

1. Brave Murder Day - Just have so many memories tied to this album. And it's the only album I know that has "that" atmosphere.
2. Favorite EP would probably be either SoD or SYD. Can't really decide.
3. July would be my favorite single. Due to the fact that it has Unfurl.

The overall feeling. Sorry if this answer is really dull, but I can't come up with anything else.

P3290006-1.jpg

I think it will be awesome. I, obviously, have high hopes.

Probably quite dark, maybe a bit emo. But I don't know. Depends on what album they are listening to. Don't think Without God and Omerta gives the same impression.

Martijn, from the Netherlands

What's your age?

Rock/metal, a little bit of pop as well.

Hmm, I wouldn't go as far as calling me a Katatonia-nerd, but I have been listening to them since they first started to release music and they have been a favourite band of mine for many years in the meantime. Also I have a pretty extensive Katatonia collection, all releases in at least one format, but most of them in more than one.

Since 1993/1994, since Jhva Elohim Meth... the Revival and DoDS came out.

Do you think you're still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?
Mos'def!

I read about them in some Metal music magazines and the description of the music really interested me, so I went to Amsterdam and bought DoDS and Jhva Elohim Meth.

Which was the first song you heard with Katatonia?
I don't remember exactly, but most likely Seven Dreaming Souls/Gateways of Bereavement.

I own all Katatonia releases.

Funeral Wedding, Murder, Endtime, Dispossession, Chrome... No particular reason, I just love to listen to them.

Yes, several times, first time in 2001 in Zaandam, supporting Opeth. It was a good gig, but Opeth was better that particular night. Then I saw them in 2003 in Utrecht, but that night Daylight Dies was utterly magical and overwhelming, so from Katatonia's gig that night I don't remember a lot.. I saw them 3 times in 2006, all great gigs. Last year on the Melloboat and Hellfest they ruled as well. I have to say they improved as a live band over the years.

Pick your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best?
Album: Last Fair Deal Gone Down, because it is Katatonia epitomized.
EP: For Funerals to Come..., magical atmosphere, amazing.
Single: Teargas, for the great B-sides "Sulfur" and "March 4".

Originality, sheer quality and talent, atmosphere and emotion of the music. Anders' signature guitarplaying and composition skills.

I wouldn't call myself obsessed, but surely they are one of my absolute favourite bands. And I do have a very nice framed Tonight's Decision poster on my wall.

Obviously I have no idea how it will sound, but I totally trust they will come up with yet another high-standard album that I will enjoy the shit out of.

Probably depressed, suicidal, whiny, twisted (older albums) ;)

Marcus, Washington state

What's your age?

rock/metal and some industrial

I'm a pretty big fan but I wouldn't call myself an ultimate fan. I have all their albums but no merch really.

Right around the time Viva Emptiness came out.

Do you think you're still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ?
Hopefully but my music taste has been getting a little softer the last 4-5 years.

Heard their name mentioned a lot on forums and actually downloaded a few songs but didn't like them at first.

I don't remember exactly but I think it was something from Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

I own all Katatonia releases.

Dispossession, Deadhouse, Strained, Burn the Remembrance.

Have you ever seen them live? Saw them open for Moonspell a few years back with Agalloch opening. The show was fantastic.

Probably Discouraged Ones, it's been a big time grower for me.

The mood the band creates with each song.

No, they're definitely one of my top 3-4 bands though.

I don't care really, they don't seem like the type of band that will disappoint.

depressing and I remember getting a lot of "this band reminds me of Tool" quotes whenever I would play TGCD to friends.

I'm Kemal and from Turkey

What's your age?
I'm 19

Death metal to post rock, symphonic music like what John Williams does, thrash metal and some hard rock/heavy metal like Ozzy Osbourne. These genres are what i mostly listen to.

Absolutely.

Since 06 or so.

Hell yeah! All the time.

A friend of mine was playing a track from Katatonia in his radio. It's so ironic that he doesnt't listen to Katatonia today.

It was Brave. I was shocked when i first heard their what i call "magical" music. It sent shivers down my spine completely. I still feel the same things when i listen to it and that's what i love.

3 Brave Murder Day remastered(kinda long story, i should tell it sometime :))
and The Great Cold Distance 5.1 mix.

Hmm.. Let me think on this.. The first one is definitely Brave and then... Dissolving Bonds, Rainroom, Cold Ways, Funeral Wedding and many many more! Follower is starting to turn into one of my favorite Katat songs these days too.. Great vibe.

I have to my friend, I have to. I've seen Opeth live 2 times and Katatonia should come to Turkey in the near future too :)

Brave Murder Day and The Great Cold Distance. It's Brave Murder Day because it creates an atmosphere that no other album does. An atmosphere of horror, panic and full of very strong emotions that comes up in human lives in different ways, times. Some of them.. of course. The others are specific that reminds me of death, murder annd things like that. It's a very unique album which it's melodies run to your brain and penetrate instantly, left you hypnotized with it's magnificent atmosphere.

It's The Great Cold Distance because as you all noticed here that the general tone of the album is "red"; Red is the most emotionally intense color and represents passion, fire, love, aggression, danger, blood... The music is similiar for me. It has feelings of aggression, love, penitential, danger and desire which is red, fire. It succeeds at creating this kind of atmosphere. These emotions are very well processed. These are the reasons that these two albums are the best Katat albums for me.

They do really well mirroring the bad things happen in human life with music. The melodies and rhythms all perfectly represent the current moods, feelings that the human beings can live at some certain points in their lives. It's so familiar with your nature and that is what makes this band so special for me. Of course i said some certain points, not all your life and not all the things that's in their albums, songs if you are not a depressive person. I mean it's hard to relate to their songs if you haven't experienced that certain feeling, mood. But you don't have to actually. Even if you don't and won't get through those periods you can understand and get the mood of that situation :)

I don't have posters. I mean i'd go to concerts and i'm buying their albums and listening to their songs but that's just it. The normal way.

I really think it's gonna be another great album. Let's say.. greater. Let's hope it's that way. Like a sequel to The Great Cold Distance concept maybe.

I got one person into Katatonia. I don't know about the rest, some of them hate it, some of them love it. I think im gonna get more people into Katatonia in the future :)

What's your name and where do you come from? Geoff from Canberra, Australia

What's your age? 35

What's the type of music you mostly listen too? death metal, doom, grindcore

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? definitely

How long have you followed the band? about 93/94

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.)? without doubt

How did you first get in touch with their music? my friend Irene gave me at tape with Jhva.. and Dance.. on it - then I got BMD but didn't check out anything after until my friend Amanda copied me Discouraged Ones and Tonights Decision and I fell in love all over again

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? probably Gateways Of Bereavement (or I suppose Seven Dreaming Souls)

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? I own all their albums (except an original of Jhva.. and a few eps) which were bought at shops

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? Chrome (the lead work is amazing), Murder (great song but the mellow bit is spinetingling), Endtime (that middle riff is incredible), Inside The City Of Glass (damn heavy!), Cold Ways (just a great song)

Have you ever seen them live? If so, how was it and when did you see them? No :cry:

Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? tricky - I'd say BMD for the old style (mainly due to great songs and exact Paradise Lost: Gothic sound) and LFDGD for the newer style (a bit more energetic than the 2 previous albums and has Chrome on it)

What do you think makes the band so special? such bleak but beautiful music

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? they are top of my Lastfm list and I listen to them a lot but I don't have posters or anything like that - they aren't that cute

So now, Katatonia is working on a new album, or so I've heard. How do you think it will sound and are you having high hopes? I wouldn't be surprised to see them go quite mellow (ala Unfurl) which I think could really work for them (although maybe not as well live) - I do have high hopes though

Now, what is the view "outsiders" have on their music? I know plenty of people that only like the blackish early stuff or only BMD and not the clean later stuff - I think it takes a while for most people to really absorb their music and get into it

Adam, Sweden.

What's your age?
16, 17 this summer.

Everything except rap and today's teen "beat, disco" style.

Yes.

Since 2006 when my dad bought TGCD cd and listened to it in the car with me.

Yes, of course.

Had never heard of much good bands in 2006, mostly got everything good from my dad who listened to swedish radio all day when he's working, drives alot. He had heard My Twin on the radio and liked it, bought the CD and not so far from there I heard it too, and downloaded the album and of course I loved it and it was the only album I listened to for months, everywhere.

My Twin.

I bought TGCD Special Mix CD because I loved the new cover art and how there where two discs.

I still love My Twin the most, I've always liked In The White, Leaders, Follower and Saw You Drown.

Have you ever seen them live? No, never. I wish they visited Sweden more, and around Stockholm. I couldn't pay for going all the way to Luleå for their latest show.

TGCD, one of the best albums I've ever heard.

Their sound and style.

I would if I had any, I find it hard to find posters and stuff when your Tradera-account got banned.

I hope it sounds like TGCD with a new touch that makes it even more special.

A friend saw me listening to them one day and he said he couldn't believe I liked Katatonia, he loved them too. We didn't know that about ourselves and.. I guess everyone can put themselves into liking this band, it's hard to not love it.

Lord Darksoul; originally from the Tampa area, now living the Florida Panhandle for graduate school temporarily.

What's your age?

Shoegaze, dark/moody rock music, grimmest black metal, 80's pop, trip-hop.

I originally joined the board way back in 2000/2001 to make posts about wanting to have sex with Jonas. I was banned several times, once for making a poll about what outfit Jonas would look sexiest in... I voted for Mermaid tail w/ seashell bra. I resurfaced in 2006 when nude pics of my wife showed up on the board because she mentioned Katatonia in Playboy. I've been a somewhat legitimate, yet very infrequent poster ever since.

Since 1998

Probably not. I only listen to Massive Attack and Tricky nowadays.

The Firestarter compilation. That was the first place I heard several bands that I subsequently went on to follow.

Murder. However, a friend of mine bought Brave Murder Day first and Rainroom was the track that really convinced me. Deadhouse was the first song I heard with clean vocals, and it took me awhile to get used-to, for at the time I was about 15/16 and only listened to things that has XXXXtreme vo-kills.

I have all of the proper albums, and most of the ep's, singles, etc.

12- the end of that song is the most emotionally crushing thing ever.
Chrome- The mundane depression of the lyrics and vocals on the chorus give me chills.
Leaders- Probably their heaviest song.

Have you ever seen them live?
I drove from Florida to Milwaukee (18 hours each way!) with a friend to see them at Milwaukee Metalfest in 2000.
Also, I saw them in Portland (I flew out there because I always wanted to visit the city and Agalloch was on the bill), and St. Petersburg on their first TGCD tour in 2006.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I was at a real low point at around the time that it came out. I swear that I spent about 4 hours a day, every day listening to that album in 2001. It really reminds me of a horrible, directionless, lovelorn time that I still look back on somewhat fondly. It's my soundtrack to burning old bridges and starting fresh, and really "growing up" in my personal life.

The atmosphere and how universal their music is. I look at their music as particularly mood-enhancing for both good times and bad. Especially the BMD-LFDGD era.

I stopped proposing to Jonas a few years ago. I pretty much just have nude pictures of my super hot wife all over my walls nowadays.

I'm not really sure how it will sound. They're in same boat as Anathema for me at this point; I'll just be happy to hear something new if and when it ever comes out.

I think that most see it as innocuous and pleasant enough, without really "getting" the mood/atmoshere that they try to project. Some of my friends that are mostly into stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead got really into Tonight's Decision and LFDGD back in the day. I've probably converted about ten people to full-fledged Katatonia fans throughout the years.

So you are a Katatonia nerd, thats why your here, correct? Si

How long have you followed the band? 9+ years I can't even remember

Do you think your still gonna listen to them in the future (let's say about 5 years from now.) ? Absolutely

How did you first get in touch with their music? I researched all the members of bloodbath and found Katatonia, october tides, diabolical masquerade

Wich was the first song you heard with Katatonia? Murder

Do you have any albums at home that you bought on a concert/shop? I have all their albums

What is your favorite song (Could allow you to pick out 3-5 songs 'cause it isn't easy to choose.) and why is that? I love every thing off the new album, july, wealth, with out god

Sadly no.
Pic your favorite album/ep/single, why do you find it the best? Favorite album is the new album. its perfect in every way

What do you think makes the band so special? They encompass all that I want in music and are able to project emotion through the music and lyrics

Are you really obsessed with them? Like putting up pictures on the wall of the band aso. ? Im 25, not a teenager anymore