Some Thoughts...

(READ POST FIRST!!!) Did my post shed light on the situation plaguing metal?

• Yeah, it did.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No, not really. (Post why below.)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Undecided (Post why below, because that makes no fucking sense. :) )

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • True Light (Dude, you're lost.)

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Captain Beard

No longer active
Sep 6, 2001
Actually, thoughts and little unknown facts. :)

To quasi-counterpoint Tee's statement earilier this week, there IS a metal community, but not quite as we all intend it to be. I suppose it's more a state of mind than an actual group of people devoted to the defense and progression of metal, because, as we know, many of us on this board, as well as planetwide, are unfortunately closed-minded on the very thought as to why we listen to metal, and why others don't, or even why one of us listens to one subgenre of metal but not another. It creates tensions that are unbearable sometimes, and causes groups that SHOULD be goood friends to split into warring, flaming factions. I visit the In Flames baord quite often, and it pains me to see all these BRILLIANT people degrade themselves to the level of the very commercial clones we come to hate... I wish they'd open their eyes, and even though not all will agree, which is fine, they should at least hear each other out and be fair in comment. General Zod and I don't see eye to eye on Reroute to Remain, but hey, it's fine. This problem isn't as apparent here, but it is in that the board members I came to know and respect when I first came on scene exactly one year ago to the HOUR seem to despise the fact that some of Nevermore's fans are younger, might have different reasons than them for being here, or are here just to have fun... That's what bothers me. I happen to like the kids, esp. dreaming neon darkspot, Dead6skin6mask6 and famousamoswillkillyou... That doesn't mean that I hate ledmag, who actually stuck by the board during this controversy, or Tee, or Neverlady, or anyone else I forget to mention, even RIP50, even he is fine compared to that ass MSC from a few months back. There is a community, it's just... well, exactly like the outside world, I suppose. We all have agendas too conflicting to compromise, or opinions too rigid and blunt, or are just plain stupid.

Now, as for facts:

+NoLordy really IS of Norse descent. His last name is Swayne, which originated from "Sveyn" in Scandanavia circa 800 C.E.

+NoLordy hates country music. No way around it, either.

+Yes, NoLordy IS offended by Christianity.

+No, NoLordy doesn't mind Jews. They never bother anyone, so why?

+NoLordy has a pathological hatred for Mexican music (a.k.a. Circus music.)

+NoLordy hates sports.

Very good post. I'm friends with a lot of nu-metallers (closest to metalheads where I live, yes it is sad) and one of them, who loves Linkin Park, and I are planning to form a band. I may hate the music and he may hate mine but we still get along and may find a common liking or taste in which the sound of the band will form. If not, we can go our seperate ways with music. I don't see why people can't just get along. It's a shame.

Made sense, yeah.

I think the problem arises from the fact that anything with a distorted guitar is classed as "Metal", when in fact there are so many different types of metal that it's just not funny. That is why there is a rediculous amount of different forums on UM, and i only post regularily on two of them, the only two bands that i like that are hosted on UM.

Proggers usually hate Blackers, Blackers hate Powerdudes, Powerdudes hate Deathers, and Deathers hate just about everyone under the whole freakin' sun.

See what i mean? Everyone is lumped together, and it pisses people off. I don't like black metal, and i generally go out of my way to abuse people into true black metal like burzum, because it's rediculously bad. And then they, the Blacker's abuse me for liking thrash and prog, and all hell breaks loose and trapped kills a pile of people again...

Why can't we just be Metalheads? That's why Metal is the bastard child of music. If we could just get along and support all Metal, we would rule the world. Of course, that's asking too much, isn't it.

why can't we just appreciate good music and not limit ourselves to metal at all? Even stuff I don't like like the beatles, dave matthews, led zepplin, etc, I can appreciate for musical talent. There is a lot of crap, but there's a lot of crap in metal, too. I would never dislike somebody solely based on their musical taste. If that were the case, I'd have like 2 real friends. I think when people get really into something they generally get an elitist mentality, especially with music. It's not just limited to metal. I see the same thing with people who are really into politics (you know they type, "if you don't vote and keep up with everything related to every issue that ever existed, you are inferior and aren't worthy of my enlightened knowledge, blah blah blah"). Hmmm....that became a bit of a rant, and it might not even be completely related to the topic at hand.

Oh well, I guess I'll just go back to my clique of prog-thrashers and bash the black metal freaks.

Yeah, I wouldn't have any friends if I based it on music. Hell, I have friends who love rap and Eminem. I also would only have like two friends if I based friendship on religion. So, why can't we just get along? I guess it is just not part of human nature.

Originally posted by jimbobhickville
why can't we just appreciate good music and not limit ourselves to metal at all? Even stuff I don't like like the beatles, dave matthews, led zepplin, etc, I can appreciate for musical talent. There is a lot of crap, but there's a lot of crap in metal, too. I would never dislike somebody solely based on their musical taste. If that were the case, I'd have like 2 real friends. I think when people get really into something they generally get an elitist mentality, especially with music. It's not just limited to metal. I see the same thing with people who are really into politics (you know they type, "if you don't vote and keep up with everything related to every issue that ever existed, you are inferior and aren't worthy of my enlightened knowledge, blah blah blah"). Hmmm....that became a bit of a rant, and it might not even be completely related to the topic at hand.

Oh well, I guess I'll just go back to my clique of prog-thrashers and bash the black metal freaks.
agreed.i don't care if there is a "metal community",why should there be?i am not a metalhead,i am a man who likes listening to metal among other things like reading literature,going to the cinema and eating pizza.should i also be called a pizzahead?should there be a pizza community?after all metal today is so wide,as wide as music in general...two people who listen to metal probably listen to completely different music.so we don't even have that in common,listening to the same music.one thing that unites us,we're all human.take care

It's a shame that some people have to label others without ever getting to know them. Most of the time, people who don't have enough self-confidence within themselves are the ones who are so judgemental. In some twisted way, it makes them feel better about themselves to demean someone else for what they believe in, listen to, wear, well you get the point.
At any rate, I'm sure you've all had the experience, and in the word of Janis Joplin: "As good as you've been to this world, that's what's gonna get back to you."

love

Can't we all just get along.... ;)

God damn if I hated people based on what they listen to, well then I would be one scary schizo!!! I would hate myself in many different ways, for liking all the different musical styles. I would be standing in the corner yelling at my self in 3 or so different voices. :)

I wouldn't mind joining the Pizzahead community.:)

Come on man, sometimes you just have to hate people for what kind of music they're into. I mean, what do you think of a person who listens to pop? Or korn, or slipknot? I bet many of them would shit their pants out of joy if they listened to nevermore for example. However, 90% of them just refuse to look a bit deeper, and see what other kinds of music there are. They just stay totally mainstream, and listen to the shit the corporate cocksuckers feed them.
Why are they so prejudiced against metal? Whenever I mention death metal, most people I've talked to, go like "yeah right, bar chords and a guy behind the mic screaming like a pig", although they've never listened to any death.
I can safely say that pop or nu metal or what not sucks, and you can not call me prejudiced cause I've listened to it.

So I say everybody get your heads outta your asses and listen to all kinds of metal or music in general and then come to conclusions about what sucks or not.

_________
DETHMETAL

Originally posted by Guerrilla
So I say everybody get your heads outta your asses and listen to all kinds of metal or music in general and then come to conclusions about what sucks or not.
well I definitely agree with that...there's lots of kinds of music that have something good. except polka:) and country/western.

you're also right about not just listening to whatever the companies want to force feed you.