someone from sweden to learn me more about the swedish scene?

Haaaaayooooooo from Stockholm!!!

Been here for few hours and... goddamnit, this is cold!!! I go out for a walk, go for couple of streets, then I enter a 7 Eleven and stay for ten minutes to recover my body temperature.

Also, I met two (ver cute) waitresses who treated us very nicely, they gave us instructions to know our way around. We´re staying at this nice hostel, City Backpackers, just for the night. Tomorrow, we move to Zickersdamm hostel, which I´ve been told so wonderful things about.

I´m pretty enthusiastic about a trip that, due to the weather in London, was close to be over before starting off. :)

|ng.

Been here for few hours and... goddamnit, this is cold!!! I go out for a walk, go for couple of streets, then I enter a 7 Eleven and stay for ten minutes to recover my body temperature.

Also, I met two (ver cute) waitresses who treated us very nicely, they gave us instructions to know our way around. We´re staying at this nice hostel, City Backpackers, just for the night. Tomorrow, we move to Zickersdamm hostel, which I´ve been told so wonderful things about.

I´m pretty enthusiastic about a trip that, due to the weather in London, was close to be over before starting off. :)

|ng.

Lucky you! I wanna be there so much !
9 months left before I go to Stockholm hehe!

|ng.

my friend told me this morning the temp was -11 there!!! :ill:
btw, like ALL ppl say go to the vasamuseet, its stunning!!! :headbang: and if you like nature go to djurgaden. without the tourists and under the snow is magic! :D

anyway tomorrow i'm supposed to fly to your town from London... finger crossed!!! :p
ah and yes i confirm the 3 times so beautiful for spaniards, not too mention the warmth of the spanish ppl in general and stuff, i can spend hours to say wonderful things about that but that is another topic!!! :loco: ;)

Hehehe, yeah, you've definitely choosen the wrong time of the year to visit mighty ultima thule. :loco:

And you remind me of my neighbour, who's an exchange student from Valencia, who asked me a few months ago if I was wearing "special clothes". He couldn't understand how anyone possibly could be used to temperatures below 18 degrees celsius indoors. :rolleyes:

@ |ngenius
What do you have planned for your stay? How long are you staying? The temprature is quite low, but it could have been alot worse :)

Hehehe, yeah, you've definitely choosen the wrong time of the year to visit mighty ultima thule. :loco:

And you remind me of my neighbour, who's an exchange student from Valencia, who asked me a few months ago if I was wearing "special clothes". He couldn't understand how anyone possibly could be used to temperatures below 18 degrees celsius indoors. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
oh yeah but on the other hand my swedish friends say that they cant even imagine how we can cope with almost 40 degrees!!! :ill: (i come from italy originally).

anyway in winter southern sweden can be fantastic as well, for me -10 two weeks ago was quite a challenge (at the end i couldnt stand walking throgh the snow and had to get on a bus) but the landscape was wonderful... :)

@ |ngenius
What do you have planned for your stay? How long are you staying? The temprature is quite low, but it could have been alot worse :)

Hey, a native from this city!!! I´m staying until saturday (taking off sunday morning before the sun rises). We are heading towards the old town now, and after that... dunno, we will see.

Any suggestions or advice? I took good note of the museums :)

|ng.

Hey, a native from this city!!! I´m staying until saturday (taking off sunday morning before the sun rises). We are heading towards the old town now, and after that... dunno, we will see.

Any suggestions or advice? I took good note of the museums :)

|ng.

There´s a couple of nice museums in town, the best one IMO being the Wasa-museum. If you haven´t heard of it before it´s a really old warship (former flagship of swedish navy), which sank in the Stocholm harbour during it´s first voyage (too many cannons! :p ).
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_Museum

Another one I find interesting is "armémuséet", located on östermalm. It´s a quite large museum with displays of swedens military history from the foundation of the coutry up to present day.
english site: http://www.sfhm.se/templates/pages/ArmeSectionStartPage____1068.aspx

All museums in stockholm are free to the public, or at least they were with our former administration, I´m not sure about now. :rolleyes:

more:
Naturhistoriska riksmuséet (National nature-historic museéem, sort of) is sometimes quite cool. They tend to swap which ehibit they´re holding, but they´re often quite large and interesting. They also have a fancy cinema called "Cosmonova" (allegedly one of the largest in the world), which has moving seats and water effects (never been to it lately). They mostly show movies about nature and suchlike, to show of the large screen.
edit: the water effects and stuff might have been at another cinema, but cosmonova is still impressing.

http://www.nrm.se/2.5fdc727f10d795b1c6e80005635.html

Gamla stan is pretty nice, really cosy feeling with all the houses so cramped together. I don´t go out very often, so I´m not really well versed when it comes to clubs and bars .Harry B James is allegedly quite good, although this saturday there´s a glam-club there.
One place I like, called KGB (soviet/russia themed), is apperently housing a heavy metal/metal-club tonight, located at Malmskillnadsg. 45, close to Hötorget underground station.

Now, if only I could get that info for all the places I'd like to see in Europe :)

I guess I'll pester each of you locals when we get to that point, hehe.

Though if anyone ever needs any NYC info, feel free to ask me.

~kov.

Your best bet for music, just in general and with regards to variety, is the East Village. Basically where I used to live. St. Mark's Place (8th Street between 3rd Ave and Thompkins Square Park) probably has the highest chance of having what you're looking for, though it tends towards Punk moreso than Metal. I know there's a store just south of Washington Square Park that also carries some metal stuff, as well as t-shirts and hoodies, but I'll have to get the name from my friend, as it's been a while since I was there. I'll do a bit more research into it for you though, as I'm pretty sure there must be someplace more specialized towards what you need.

~kov.

NYC is the place for everything :p. The problem is figuring out which part - it's a pretty damn big city. Luckily, it's not too hard to get around. In any case, the East Village is probably the closest you'll get to a concentration of stores that may have what you're looking for. It's a lot of small record stores, bars, tattoo/piercing parlors, bars, offbeat restaurants, bars, and just about every character you can imagine. It's probably also the most foreigner-friendly (both in demeanor of the people and the area itself) area of the city I can think of.

I love it there and miss my old apartments terribly, if you can't tell.

~kov.

EDIT: To answer the question everyone always winds up asking me in the end... Mimi's Pizza, NW corner of the intersection of 85th Street and Lexington Ave.

I'm back to warm and sunny places again!!!

Well, thanks everybody for your kind help these days, especially to those who offered valuable information about the city and things to do in there. Truth to be told, I hadn't time enough to visit the city and get a good impression about it, it's been just three days wandering the frozen Stockholm.

However, I think we had a great time, we visited great places and I am surprisingly satisfied about restaurants and food. The first night we stayed at City Backpackers hostel, nice place, although the guy who ushered us into the place didn't seem very kind, contrary to our impression about swedish people. Free internet in there, very useful.

We visited Vasamuseet, a museum whose main concept, as many of you may know, is the reconstruction of the old vessel "Vasa", a big ship that was meant to be one of the biggest war ships in the swedish navy and sunk in a blink of an eye. Interesting.

We stumbled into some sort of auditorium and the people there told us about a classic music concert the next day, so I decided to attend and ride the experience. Nice concert, although I'm not an expert on the matter. In the meanwhile, my friend went on this "sightseeing" tour in a boat around Stockholm's coast. Touristic and enlightening nonetheless.

And the nightlife, we went out two nights out of two: first one we went to this place, "Metro", a classy place where everyone dressed quite nicely. Not that we wore sport clothes, but we, as tourists, didn't bring a large wardrobe, not to mention elegant clothes (I am a gentleman, but my bag wasn't big enough, as you surely understand). Beautiuful, BEAUTIFUL women over there, but we witnessed a lot of beautiful women all around, swedish girls are very cute on the average.

Next day we went to "Rocks", a rock place in the Söder area, where we were assaulted mainly by goth guys, friendly but surprisingly interested in our condition as foreigners. The music was crappy (and people suscribed this opinion), but the place seemed quite ok, and I was told it was the best rock pub in Stockholm.

And... grosso modo... that was it. Nearly 8 hours of travelling after that... I'm home again!!!

|ng.