Something different

Mr. Hyde

Guitar, Bass
Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
I posted a song I recorded before I joined here. I played all of the instruments, and if you listen really close you can hear me on the backing vox. I hope you don't mind that I posted this MM, and others, since it isn't really a full IMG recording.
I wanted to share it with you though.

Performance notes:
All instruments, Hyde, including drums, played in real time on my keyboard along to the cd.
Lead Vox, Guest.

It's a long way to the top(if you wanna rock'n' roll)

Wow.

This is a very solid recording. You are more than welcome to mix any songs we may end up doing together in the future Hyde. Cleanly recorded tracks..very well mixed. You use a keyboard for those wierd bagpipe type sounds? I am very impressed. What recording/mixing software do you use again? I think maybe my mixes are a bit muddy due to software or something..yours are so much more crisp.

The only thing that makes this stick as as NOT being a pro recording is the very obvious synthetic drums. Even when you are playing them real time...the synth still makes it sound phoney and 'square'...but you probably already know that. :loco:

Rabies: Yeah, I used my keyboard to play those bagpipe sounds. I used Cakewalk guitar tracks on this recording.
I wish there was a way to make those electronic drums sound more varied, the sound of each drum and cymbal is always exactly the same, and it can't fool us humans!

I have a theory about why your recordings seem to be a little muddy. When we talked about it on the other thread, the only thing I could think of then was compression effects ruining the dynamics. I thought about it a little more, and realized that there is a more likely suspect.
When I recorded these songs, I did all of the instruments. I didn't convert any of the wav's to mp3 until the final 2 track mix was finished and then I converted that to mp3. On IMG songs, no one has all of the original wav's, just the mp3's that have been converted back to wav to use in the mix. When we convert our original wav's to mp3, we loose some of the information in the process, and when we convert it back to wav, it doesn't sound as good as the original.

Originally posted by Mr. Hyde
I have a theory about why your recordings seem to be a little muddy. When we talked about it on the other thread, the only thing I could think of then was compression effects ruining the dynamics. I thought about it a little more, and realized that there is a more likely suspect.
When I recorded these songs, I did all of the instruments. I didn't convert any of the wav's to mp3 until the final 2 track mix was finished and then I converted that to mp3. On IMG songs, no one has all of the original wav's, just the mp3's that have been converted back to wav to use in the mix. When we convert our original wav's to mp3, we loose some of the information in the process, and when we convert it back to wav, it doesn't sound as good as the original.

I think you are right. One kind of a improvement would be increasing the mp3 sampling rate, but then the files would be bigger and as we all don't have fast connections that's a bit no-no...

Wow, I agree! Farkin crisp.... Well done dude. We should look into how to get our recordings that clean. I think the MP3 conversion thing might have something to do with it, but I also think there is something else too. 7th get much crisper vox tracks then I'm getting, so my guess is hardware/software is also playing a role...

Wow hyde....

This is a farkin great recording dude.... who was the singer on this one...is that u singing...???

Loved the vintage acadaca tone too....i was droolin over that......

Tell us your secrets dude.....

Did i mention the awesome tone...... !!!!!!!

I agree..the drums are a lil sterile....should try to flood it (within reason) with some reverb...

GREAT MIX...

Hey there Hyde...

Was just wondering if u can share some info with me...??

As projects are filling up fast and MM is flat out being the only drummer....was wondering if u can tell me what u used to record your drum tracks for long way...???

Also... if its not too big a file.... reckon you can email it over to me or send me a link as to where you downloaded it from or purchased it.... thats if its a freeware or shareware or something....

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments as to any cool drum machine programs i may also use.....??

I know midi drums sound awful... and this is NO WAY gonna replace MM's savage drum efforts...but im keen to try some other projects while im waiting for slot to open up on other official projects...

Wanna try a creed song or two.... and i gotta get Metallica's Orion done...this song is harmony paradise....!!

Also...any suggestions for a bass type midi program to compliment the drums...??? I had evolution midi which was a pretty cool program.... ( for shitty midi sounds anyways ) but i lost it... Otherwise... i may have to run may guitar through an octaver and drop down an octave ( CRINGE EEEK...!!! ) ...but itll fill the void....

Thanx....

I used my keyboard for the drum sounds on long way. I tapped the drums out in real time on the keys!:lol: I didn't use sequencing for that song. The keyboard has speakers and I put the mic up to the speaker and played along to the cd.