Something many don't know about Piracy.

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Fairly interesting video, ran across it from watching other videos posted on facebook. Something I have kind of always knew, never really thought about it at this angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anti Piracy is gay as shit.
I get the point that people steal shit and companies loose money, but when they sue people for 1000000 times more than the few song they stole was worth... it's just wrong.

It's a preventative measure, not an exact recompense. If you/anybody else get sued for ten times the amount of what you stole, maybe you/anybody else likely won't be stealing too much anymore.

Whether that actually works is not a sure thing, heh. But that's the idea behind it ime.

But the big media companies created and distributed the file sharing software in the first place, and taught people how to use it for copyright infringement. So how can they possibly have a legal leg to stand on when suing someone for using said software? It's like you giving someone the tools and knowledge to hack a computer and then suing them when they actually go and do it.

Anti Piracy is gay as shit.
I get the point that people steal shit and companies loose money, but when they sue people for 1000000 times more than the few song they stole was worth... it's just wrong.

It also gives the record companies a motive to sponsor illegal downloading. The way it works is you are fined a certain high amount, if you cannot pay that you go to jail for up to 10 years (used to be 5 I think) and the prosecuting party is given payment for damages via taxpayer money.

Considering that they are trying to fine people starting out at least a $500K or $30K per song there is a large margin of profit for the labels involved. They have all the motive in the world to try to get people to illegally download.

The amount they fine people with is ridiculous, you don't have to pay $30K per song stolen plus 5 years in prison if you where to walk into a store and shoplift an album, and the label/distribution margin of loss from a stolen CD is greater than a download. Yeah there may be much more downloading happening relative than shoplifting, but its the principle.

Still most of the torrents to music are put up by either labels or affiliates of the labels. On top of that I find it really difficult for someone to go to the store and buy an album and then upload it on the internet for everyone for free. If I bought an album, I am not letting you download it for free, you can buy it just like I did. It provides the uploaded no benefit and is actually out of the way to help strangers. Sorry, but people who steal tend to not care about others.

If it weren't for companies like cnet and many of the others mentioned in the video, nobody would even know what a torrent was. Try to download any torrent program, who are the hosts for the downloads...just like the OP video states...all on media affiliate sites. Good luck finding torrent programs anywhere else.

Again I still personally believe the whole piracy deal has been horribly manipulated by the labels as a way to open up another (and shady) source for revenue, when they actually decide to start suing everyone they can for piracy. I have been reading things here and there and it seems now that a lot of the torrent hosts are provided by labels and even the CIA to specifically track down IPs. The government has been doing a lot of spying on every aspect of the internet including hosting sites and information that could be considered illegal to trick people into doing it. I can imagine that soon there will be a mass hysteria with it, the government will have the proof they need to pass a bill to censor the internet, and the record labels will go on a massive suing spree. They want power and money. Its crooked.

Welcome to Corporate America.

YEAH 'MURIKUH!

But the big media companies created and distributed the file sharing software in the first place, and taught people how to use it for copyright infringement. So how can they possibly have a legal leg to stand on when suing someone for using said software? It's like you giving someone the tools and knowledge to hack a computer and then suing them when they actually go and do it.

Its the same reason I don't agree with sting operations, particularly the fake prostitute cops that manipulate guys into saying something and then arresting them for illegal acts. Or like the operations where cops act as drug dealers and when someone pulls out the cash saying what they want they arrest them and charge them for trying to buy illicit drugs.

That and the whole piracy thing is entrapment. Catching someone in the act vs manipulating someone to act are two horribly different things.

Its the same reason I don't agree with sting operations, particularly the fake prostitute cops that manipulate guys into saying something and then arresting them for illegal acts. Or like the operations where cops act as drug dealers and when someone pulls out the cash saying what they want they arrest them and charge them for trying to buy illicit drugs.

That and the whole piracy thing is entrapment. Catching someone in the act vs manipulating someone to act are two horribly different things.

Yeah there are countries where this kind of operations are not legal, though it's certainly dependent on some other details. There were this CCTV reality TV show who was about arresting live (or almost) people in UK or USA don't remember, and most of the time they would organize such an operation, which ethically is on the edge since they would push the guy to do the crime. Once, they arrested a supposed pedophile before he even did anything, which started a big controversy.

I agree on the fact 5 years is ridiculous. I don't know the exact details of that UK guy's case, if he had a big website or anything, but this is all wrong, he's being charged way more than if he was beating his wife or something like that. Justice is not all black and white and just numbers, but it' still easy to see it's all wrong, and I don't like the idea of making one an example for the others. It's more efficient of course, but in the end of the day, there's one individual whose life is almost fucked for something that I would consider minor if you think about all the fucked up things you can do to end in prison aside from sharing music illegally.

I had no idea P2P software were actually supported by legit companies. If this is true, it's even more fuckec up than what I thought.

Yeah there are countries where this kind of operations are not legal, though it's certainly dependent on some other details. There were this CCTV reality TV show who was about arresting live (or almost) people in UK or USA don't remember, and most of the time they would organize such an operation, which ethically is on the edge since they would push the guy to do the crime. Once, they arrested a supposed pedophile before he even did anything, which started a big controversy.

Chris Hanson Dateline NBC is known for that. They get on chat rooms looking posing as underage kids and seduce men by telling them that they want to get fucked and have dirty things done to them. I have seen guys who where 22-23 get arrested when they showed up to the house thinking that they where going to be getting some action from a 17 year old, arresting them on the fact that they PLANNED to have sexual relations with a minor. Guilty even though you didn't actually commit the crime. They end up spending 3-5 in Jail for that. Horribly fucked up.

I had no idea P2P software were actually supported by legit companies. If this is true, it's even more fuckec up than what I thought.

Its been known now for a while that some labels, distributions and various other media outlets where doing this. I have even read about iTunes and Amazon servers hosting torrents. I can almost guarantee you if you where to release an album for free download somewhere like bandcamp for about a year there would be no torrents of your album, pay the $50 USD to upload and sell your album to iTunes/Amazon and other music stores, there will be a torrent of your album almost overnight. This has happened to someone on the forum I believe.

To twist this into something else:

If the greedy media companies are so greedy, what are they gonna use all the money for? Power? Why?

Man this got deep.

While I do not support piracy, the case example at the beginning of that video is absolute horse shit.

In fact, flexing america's huge cock on anyone who isn't an American is crap (well... I suppose if you fucking killed someone I might bend on that, but otherwise we should proper fuck off).

Chris Hanson Dateline NBC is known for that. They get on chat rooms looking posing as underage kids and seduce men by telling them that they want to get fucked and have dirty things done to them. I have seen guys who where 22-23 get arrested when they showed up to the house thinking that they where going to be getting some action from a 17 year old, arresting them on the fact that they PLANNED to have sexual relations with a minor. Guilty even though you didn't actually commit the crime. They end up spending 3-5 in Jail for that. Horribly fucked up.

its hard to find any kind of sympathy for potential child molesters. especially when they had the intent to have sex with a minor. its like arresting a guy who had weapons and home made bombs in his garage with outlines and plans of killing numerous people. should you not arrest him because he hasnt done anything yet??

that said, the penalty for internet piracy is insane. it makes no sense to go after people that download. people that upload and host should be held more responsible.

To twist this into something else:

If the greedy media companies are so greedy, what are they gonna use all the money for? Power? Why?

Man this got deep.

How to destroy the biggest threat to mainstream media (the internet)

1: Create a online piracy epidemic
2: Complain about piracy to the Government saying it's "killing the entertainment industry"
3: Introduce laws to censor the internet (SOPA, PIPA and the like)
4: Internet is basically closed for business, big media companies once again have total control of the worlds media.

Suing people for thousands is just a bonus imo, ^this^ is the main plan.

Look at kids these days, they don't watch tv anymore, they watch Youtube. Big media corporations, who used to have serious control over what was seen and heard (remember when there were only 5 tv channels?!) really don't like this. They need to find a way to get their monopoly back, and the creation of online piracy will facilitate that.

In fact, flexing america's huge cock on anyone who isn't an American is crap

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/01/mf_starsofscience/all/1

' The host [of Qatar-based, pan-Arab competition/reality show Stars of Science] reads off the scores, from first to last. Unsurprisingly, Sankari and his medical device win this round. Al-Chaari and Al-Rifai hear their names next and sigh with relief. And then there is a long pause before the reading of the fourth name. “Haytham Dsouki.” The Egyptian immediately jumps up, cheers, starts embracing the others. He has survived. But at a time when daily reports of rapes and violence are pouring out of Syria, Al-Dukhan is being sent home.

On hearing the news, he looks peaceful, even relieved. The audience leaves; the crew removes the microphone from his jacket. “I was sad for only 10 minutes,” says Al-Dukhan. “My life will continue. I will keep inventing.”

But the next day, he discovers that he will not be allowed to take home the brain of his [brick-making] invention. The touchscreen computer he built — loaded with his cement-hardening code — is seen by the US as a “dual-use” technology, making it illegal to export to Syria. (Qatar has an understanding with the US that such restrictions are enforced here.) After he gets the news, Al-Dukhan finally breaks down in bitter tears of frustration. The next day, he boards a plane to Damascus and an unknown fate. '

I seriously cannot stand this country at times. I can't get upset anymore when people from other countries talk ill of us, because they generally aren't that far off base.

It has never been about piracy. It's about who controls the media, gets to control the world.

^ That was a typical cock waving incident. Lots of cops in my parts are the same way. They have authority issues. That's why I find myself suing them every few years.

At first I did not believe something this stupid could be real, but I have read enough news articles see that this guys extradition hearings are in fact in progress.

Extradition and possibly 10 years for having links to pirated material? That is insane. I recall a pedophile from my home county getting 4.5 years for raping a 9 year old girl.

So file sharing is worse than raping children now?

Wow, there are some really good posts in this thread. I'm sending shots to TheWinterSnow, Trevoire520, and AD Chaos in particular for what they've said, I can't agree more:

It has never been about piracy. It's about who controls the media, gets to control the world.

How to destroy the biggest threat to mainstream media (the internet)

1: Create a online piracy epidemic
2: Complain about piracy to the Government saying it's "killing the entertainment industry"
3: Introduce laws to censor the internet (SOPA, PIPA and the like)
4: Internet is basically closed for business, big media companies once again have total control of the worlds media.

Suing people for thousands is just a bonus imo, ^this^ is the main plan.

Look at kids these days, they don't watch tv anymore, they watch Youtube. Big media corporations, who used to have serious control over what was seen and heard (remember when there were only 5 tv channels?!) really don't like this. They need to find a way to get their monopoly back, and the creation of online piracy will facilitate that.

It also gives the record companies a motive to sponsor illegal downloading. The way it works is you are fined a certain high amount, if you cannot pay that you go to jail for up to 10 years (used to be 5 I think) and the prosecuting party is given payment for damages via taxpayer money.

Considering that they are trying to fine people starting out at least a $500K or $30K per song there is a large margin of profit for the labels involved. They have all the motive in the world to try to get people to illegally download.

The amount they fine people with is ridiculous, you don't have to pay $30K per song stolen plus 5 years in prison if you where to walk into a store and shoplift an album, and the label/distribution margin of loss from a stolen CD is greater than a download. Yeah there may be much more downloading happening relative than shoplifting, but its the principle.

Still most of the torrents to music are put up by either labels or affiliates of the labels. On top of that I find it really difficult for someone to go to the store and buy an album and then upload it on the internet for everyone for free. If I bought an album, I am not letting you download it for free, you can buy it just like I did. It provides the uploaded no benefit and is actually out of the way to help strangers. Sorry, but people who steal tend to not care about others.

If it weren't for companies like cnet and many of the others mentioned in the video, nobody would even know what a torrent was. Try to download any torrent program, who are the hosts for the downloads...just like the OP video states...all on media affiliate sites. Good luck finding torrent programs anywhere else.

Again I still personally believe the whole piracy deal has been horribly manipulated by the labels as a way to open up another (and shady) source for revenue, when they actually decide to start suing everyone they can for piracy. I have been reading things here and there and it seems now that a lot of the torrent hosts are provided by labels and even the CIA to specifically track down IPs. The government has been doing a lot of spying on every aspect of the internet including hosting sites and information that could be considered illegal to trick people into doing it. I can imagine that soon there will be a mass hysteria with it, the government will have the proof they need to pass a bill to censor the internet, and the record labels will go on a massive suing spree. They want power and money. Its crooked.

Welcome to Corporate America.

In the end, this is all desperation from a dying industry. The music industry is about to get flushed down the toilet.