Something that needed to be said (My Dying Bride)

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Although I feel 'The Dreadful Hours' seems to me to be their weakest album since their first back in 92, I just want to say a few things about the band.

First of all, they were my faviourite band for about 4 years from just after 'Like Gods of the Sun' was released until about the year 2000 when I left to really follow Katatonia etc. The quality of the musicianship is overshadowed only by the amazing and seemingly uncanny amount of melancholy they can project out of the stereo.

I'm listening to 'The Light at the End of the World' now, and although I miss the violin, like many do, I can still say that they're one of the all time greats.

I'm not sorry to say that I rate them higher than Opeth, pound for pound.

I just had to get that off my chest. I feel it's an injustice for bands to last very long away from the credit which they deserve.

i thought they got quite a bit of credit, i mean for a British band that is. they're always in magazines, i've got a Terrorizer with about 4-5 pages devoted to them, and yes they're great, i was listening to ''Light at the end of the world'' all this morning not to mention the last track about 4 times, anywho...

the new album is great, i'd hardly call it their weakest, whats to fault with it :confused:

Originally posted by _Transparent_
i've got a Terrorizer with about 4-5 pages devoted to them, and yes they're great,

yeah, I'm not sure which issue of Terrorizer you're referring too, but I can assure you in all certainty that they've never had 4 or 5 pages devoted to them.

I believe Chuck only received 6 after his death.

I'm not saying they're underrated. I'm just pointing them out the members of this forum.

And the new album is lame. That's why it doesn't match the others. It's run-o-the-mill. It's the only album that sounds similar to a previous album in the band's history. And it leaves me and many others feeling cold and disappointed.

I'm sure it's good by many stadards, but compare it to 'Turn Loose the Swans' or 'The Angel and the Dark River' and it's pretty bad...

And you're right about Sear Me III. That's one of my all time favourite songs... It borders on the uncanny.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
I have 2 of their cds: Light and TDH, they both are very good.

Check out 'Turn Loose the Swans' and 'The Angel and the Dark River'.

The violin is amazing... it spawned a whole slew of gothic rip-offs.

After the violin went (after 1998) so did many of their fans. They're still good though.

But for a life changing experience you have to hear Sear Me 1993 in the dark with candles burning... It's like nothing ever before or since.

I love your signature, Juggie.

'One Last Goodbye' is one of the all time great tracks.

Perhaps only bested by 'Inner Silence'? (the precursor).

Originally posted by Oyo
I just got Turn Loose the Swans and The Angel and the Dark River on friday, I love these CD's :D

Cool.

Just remember, what you're listening too is an archetype of gothic/doom metal. It set a genre. It introduced the violin to doom metal and mixed clear vocals with rough. It initiated the all piano/violin track. It wasn't afraid to discuss lost love.... or cry...

Originally posted by requiem
And the new album is lame. That's why it doesn't match the others. It's run-o-the-mill. It's the only album that sounds similar to a previous album in the band's history

I like MDB, but I'd hardly say there is a major progression between any of the albums, the only vaguely different one is 34.788%... the rest while good are all pretty much the same... its nothing compared to a band like Ulver, who actually have never released a similar album...

Originally posted by requiem

yeah, I'm not sure which issue of Terrorizer you're referring too, but I can assure you in all certainty that they've never had 4 or 5 pages devoted to them.

yeah your right, its 3 pages in November 2001, i just checked, hmn maybe its because there was a poster i cut out too that i thought,,,. but 3 pages is alright, its funny too as Aaron is wearing the same things as when i saw them live the other week. hmn, if you want i can scan it for you, if you give me your email address or something, unless you've got it already.

I love them and all their albums (well, I don´t particularly LOVE the first two). I personally think that 34,788%...complete is a great album.

The quality of the musicianship is overshadowed only by the amazing and seemingly uncanny amount of melancholy they can project out of the stereo.

So very true. To me, the only band that competes with them in that aspect is Katatonia. But MDB wins because I´ve known them for a long time and I feel closer to them. I like Opeth too, but they don´t even come close.

Originally posted by BillowOfZeal
I like all MDB but I am curious what are your opinions on 34.788% Complete?......I love it but many seem to hate it.
It's my favourite, together with its successor.

Let's see, what are the possible reasons for not liking 34,788%:
1. One doesn't like music.
2. One doesn't like metal.
3. One doesn't like the soundz.
4. One doesn't like the mood.
5. One is a troo-metallist (see pt.1)
6. One is afraid to lose one's "metal" friends by being caught while listening to music with "alternative" soundz.
7. One doesn't like the vocals.
8. One doesn't like MDB at all.
9. One is a vegetable.

In regards to TDH, I must say the only tracks I find wanting are #s 3 & 4 (Black Heart Romance, and that other one). All the other ones range from really good to stunning (the title track just leaves me floored). I do think the last couple of albums are missing something, they seem a bit, I dunno the right word, formulaic maybe (is that a word? :D). They have a flow to them now, everything is more streamlined. I think if you took the first 4 and last track off TLATEOTW and the first 2 & tracks 5, 6, 7 off TDH you'd end up with one stunning album (although most of the other tracks are cool too).
I honestly don't miss the violin as much as I expected- if anyone ditched the band because of that, well..... their loss, and they probably missed the whole point of the music anyway.
I don't see the lack of progression over the last 2 albums as an issue (and hey, when have they used blast beats before? Well, in the last 7 years or so), I want good songs, not different songs, and I don't understand anyone who doesn't feel this way. Progression is overrated.

About 34%, I really didn't like it to start with. It wasn't until TLATEOTW came out, that I really got into it. I think maybe it was due to me being worried that this was going to be their new direction, and I knew I would miss them if they changed. I think having the foundation of a new album in their old style allowed me to take 34% on it's own merits, rather than what I expected from the band. It really is a bloody good album.