my dying bride... where to start?

I got turned off into checking out MDB because of the song "The Dreadful Hours," but I've been listening to the song "The Cry of Mankind' and I think I must get "The Angel and the Dark River" at some point.
shocked.gif

NP: Dargaard

Turn Loose the Swans and For my Fallen Angel, I would start with either of those... with a leaning towards for my fallen angel.

The crown of sympathy and Two Winters Only completely own me emotionally... just amazing.

I think that MDB has to be listened to in a certain mood, and when you do, you grow so much more attached to it from listening to it in the right mindset.

34.788% complete DID NOT SUCK, but it sounds nothing like any of MDB's other albums... I still dug it though. Not a good album to get into them with though :p

I don't have any of their newer stuff... I heard they lost the violin :cry:

MDB is very depressing and slow... there really isn't much in the way of picking up the pace at all. They are perfect if you are sad and depressed a lot, and want to basically shoot yourself or something, but are too chicken to do it. They really help to make you feel as low and depressed as humanly possible.

If that is what you are going for check out Turn Loose the Swans... though I personally like the album Like God's of the Sun better. The title track is fairly erotic.

I'll be the first to admit that I know jack shit about doom metal in general and My Dying Bride especially (I have Turn Loose the Swans, haven't listened), but Tiamat's Wildhoney is really fucking cool and I believe that's classified as doom metal, right?

They do pick up the face quite often, actually.

Get 'The Angel and the Dark River', because that is absolutely wonderful.

Get 'Turn Loose The Swans' because it's almost as good

The other albums are all good in different ways, but I'd recommend starting with these two, the classics.