Song Survivor - Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky round 1

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom

The most grim, disgusting and demented black metal album I've ever heard. Still the peak of their career for me. This was number two on my 1992 list iirc, but if we did it again it would definitely be number 1.

Voted for "The Pagan Winter" and "In the Shadow of the Horns". The latter used to be one of my favourite songs from it, but it hasn't held up as well for me. Still adore the last 2 and a half minutes or so. That acoustic guitar sounds sinister as fuck.

Vote for the TWO weakest tracks.

Crap, missed a "the" from the second track. Can't edit it.

Reactions: CiG
The At the Gates has somewhat fallen out of favour with me, more than A Blaze... growing on me (I’ve always loved this album pretty consistently).

I still like The Red... a lot, but at this point it’s not something I can listen to very often and it has definite weak spots. “Claws of Laughter Dead” is jarring in a bad way. I probably still like the peaks more (“Within”, “Through Gardens of Grief” and “Neverwhere”) but A Blaze... is more consistently brilliant. And I just love the atmosphere and production on A Blaze... so much. Might be my number two black metal album ever these days. While I like the following 3 records a lot, when I think about it, none of them touch A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Reactions: CiG
Surprised you’ve all agreed with In the Shadow of the Horns so far. Honestly thought it would have been one of the most popular tracks!

Don’t really understand the UaFM fetishism. A great album obviously, but nowhere near this one. The weakest tracks here are as strong as the best ones on UaFM imo. The production isn’t as good, and the reverb on the vocals is quite annoying. It just doesn’t have the nasty fucking riffs and primal relentlessness of this album.

Last edited:
.. The Pagan Winter and In The Shadow of Horns are the two best songs on here and they're probably gonna get voted out im guessing. Amazes me that some of you guys consider yourselves huge fans of these albums and then you guys go right on ahead and vote for the strongest tracks on said albums. HBB, who doesnt even like black metal voting for those two song says everything tbh. And again, the guy says he favors riffs and then goes right on ahead and votes for some of the most riff driven songs on these black metal albums. Guy is completely clueless

.. The Pagan Winter and In The Shadow of Horns are the two best songs on here and they're probably gonna get voted out im guessing. Amazes me that some of you guys consider yourselves huge fans of these albums and then you guys go right on ahead and vote for the strongest tracks on said albums. HBB, who doesnt even like black metal voting for those two song says everything tbh. And again, the guy says he favors riffs and then goes right on ahead and votes for some of the most riff driven songs on these black metal albums. Guy is completely clueless

Darkthrone isn't often at their best when at their riffiest. When they're being riffy, it usually means some kind of Celtic Frost knock-offery or bland black/thrash. The Pagan Winter has those stereotypical marching black metal riffs that I precisely don't like about black metal, though the song has enough great moments that it's still a 7/10 song for me. Very consistent and strong album overall, but Paragon Belial and Kathaarian Life Code are where it's really at. Show me where there's some Destruction or Ulysses Siren-tier riffing on those two songs and maybe I'll change my mind.

wooooah there, hit the brakes. Black metal never was, is or will be in the same league as thrash metal, especially when talking about riffs. Please don't ever compare this stuff to elite thrash again, thank you.

So why do you expect me to enjoy black metal riffs? I love the dissonant chaotic stuff on the album, not the riffs.

fwiw I think the Under a Funeral Moon title track gets pretty Destruction-esque, Darkthrone can manage the occasional excellent riff, but simply being riff-driven means nothing. Stoner rock is riff-driven, but I hate it because it's fourth-rate Sabbath-wannabe riffing.

So why do you expect me to enjoy black metal riffs? I love the dissonant chaotic stuff on the album, not the riffs.

fwiw I think the Under a Funeral Moon title track gets pretty Destruction-esque, Darkthrone can manage the occasional excellent riff, but simply being riff-driven means nothing. Stoner rock is riff-driven, but I hate it because it's fourth-rate Sabbath-wannabe riffing.
because you always say riffs=king and then go on to say how you dont like black metal because its riffless, that's why you softheaded schmuck

because you always say riffs=king and then go on to say how you dont like black metal because its riffless, that's why you softheaded schmuck

I don't like most black metal because it's riffless, true. I also dislike some black metal because it's riffy and still not good. Try plotting a Venn diagram once in your life, Mr. Internet-IQ-of-145.

oh yeay i was implying you should like it, lulz. And the nerve of you talking about IQ here after that above statement. Ammmayyyyyzin

"BLACK METAL SUCKS BECAUSE IT HAS NO RIFFS BUT I THINK THE WORST SONGS ON THIS BLACK METAL ALBUM ARE THE ONEZ WIT DA RIFFS" bahahhahha. It's ok, i blame it on your mom and dad being blood relatives.

you're a little confused poser anyway, "RIFFS ARE KING AND I HATE BLACK METAL BECAUSE IT HAS NO RIFFS/IS RIFFLESS BUT I LIKE THE BLACK METAL THAT HAS GOOD SOME GOOD RIFFS AND CHAOTIC ATMO".:lol: oh okay. No one on this forum walks back the things they've said more than you have. And the worst part is you usually try to weasel out of what you initially claimed to have said. You technically shouldn't "like" anything on this album(which i took into consideration and never implied you liked anything here) considering the amount of garbage you've spewed about black metal. You're basically a headless chicken and nothing more.

Last edited: