Song Survivor - Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky round 1

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
well we should all at least be able to agree on one thing, that Where Cold Winds Blow is the weakest link on this album.

Yep, Motorhead, Morbid Angel, Immolation, Necrovore, Possessed, quintessential black metal right there.
dude, how do you have so much trouble with comprehending things? How did you read that and come to the conclusion that he said the bands you mentioned are black metal? Truly amazing man.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Fenriz uses his own weird Norwegian definitions. He's not as bad as Quorthon or Varg but you still can't take anything a NO MOSH NO DEATH guy says about death metal using the common definitions of the term. Since I provided my definitions I don't know why you think I'm denying the intent of his words, I'm simply clarifying and interpreting.

Dark Angel gets pretty close to death metal anyways so I don't see your issue.

Because the song he said was pure black metal, a new composition with new riffs written on the spot, is the same song you're claiming is basically Dark Angel-inspired. Also I think Fenriz understands what death metal is better than you do given your commonly witnessed warped perception on things.

dude, how do you have so much trouble with comprehending things? How did you read that and come to the conclusion that he said the bands you mentioned are black metal? Truly amazing man.

Feel free to translate.

Because the song he said was pure black metal, a new composition with new riffs written on the spot, is the same song you're claiming is basically Dark Angel-inspired. Also I think Fenriz understands what death metal is better than you do given your commonly witnessed warped perception on things.

I said it has Dark Angel riffs, I didn't say the entire song was Dark Angel-style. fwiw I found an interview where he claims Morbid Angel as one of his biggest influences and explicitly denies and disowns Dark Angel comparisons he was receiving at the time (alongside Sepultura and other thrash), so I guess it's second-hand Dark Angel by way of Morbid Angel. Same diff really.

i dont believe that he wasn't influenced by Dark Angel when Darkness Descends was/is one of his favorite albums from what i remember. I dont hear it much in his music though. Fenriz has been all over the place with a lot of what he says tbh.

That being said, lol @ you needing a "translation" for what you quoted. You cant be serious here. You literally think he said Motorhead, Morbid Angel etc are BLACK METAL BANDS after reading what you quoted? :lol: Do you wear a helmet when taking showers?

i dont believe that he wasn't influenced by Dark Angel when Darkness Descends was/is one of his favorite albums from what i remember. I dont hear it much in his music though. Fenriz has been all over the place with a lot of what he says tbh.

That being said, lol @ you needing a "translation" for what you quoted. You cant be serious here. You literally think he said Motorhead, Morbid Angel etc are BLACK METAL BANDS after reading what you quoted? :lol: Do you wear a helmet when taking showers?

Well then he was faking for cred and maybe he is as unreliable as Varg and Quorthon.

Are you illiterate? What do you think he meant by "it doesn’t matter what style the bands called their music, if it gave off some BLACK METAL FEELING"? So I guess you'll take him at his absolute word even though he won't take other musicians at theirs. :lol:

How so?

RE the song: and which Dark Angel song is this riff inspired by? Sick riff btw.

That's basically the trademark Dark Angel trill. Darkness Descends and Perish in Flames both have it in their intros, Hunger of the Undead in its pre-verse/verse riff, I'm sure it appears elsewhere as well.

More like Morbid Angel copied that riff from Darkness Descends, then Darkthrone copied it from Morbid Angel not knowing of its origins. But since you've pointed out that Fenriz has also claimed that Darkness Descends is one of his all-time favorites, despite disowning Dark Angel elsewhere, I think the only real conclusion we can draw is that Fenriz, like all second-wave artists, is a poser.

Darkness Descends came out the same year as the first 3 Morbid Angel demos and they also recorded Abominations of Desolation in 1986. That's some pretty close-call copycat shit if true.

if it gave off some BLACK METAL FEELING"?.
again, are you retarded? That statement means those bands and their albums are black metal? No wonder you cant properly communicate with people in the real world. Its because you cant break down and comprehend the most simplest of statements. The guy is basically telling you what bands influenced him, the bands that had the "spirit" that he injected into his music. The amount or sheer stupidity one would have to display to think he(someone who played n a death metal band was a fan of all theses subgenres when you were still in diapers) meant Motorhead and Morbid Angel are QUINTESSENTIAL BLACK METAL BANDS is beyond lunacy.

Reactions: CiG
Darkness Descends came out the same year as the first 3 Morbid Angel demos and they also recorded Abominations of Desolation in 1986. That's some pretty close-call copycat shit if true.

And Darkness Descends was widely bootlegged by mid-late 1985. In any case I was just going for a rough proxy, I can't think of any Morbid Angel songs that specifically use that trill and since we now know Fenriz is a lying motherfucker it doesn't matter what he claims.

https://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/Interviews/DARKTHRONE--6963.html

"Of course, I got my bag full of what I'm going to play tomorrow at Manchester (England). So we could say DARK ANGEL "Darkness Descends" album is one of my faves."

https://sendbackmystamps.org/2013/11/25/isten-5-finland-1990/darkthrone-1-3/

"People have compared us to bands like Dark Angel, Atheist, Autopsy, and Death, and even this is quite ridiculous (at least Dark Angel)"

again, are you retarded? That statement means those bands and their albums are black metal? No wonder you cant properly communicate with people in the real world. Its because you cant break down and comprehend the most simplest of statements. The guy is basically telling you what bands influenced him, the bands that had the "spirit" that he injected into his music. The amount or sheer stupidity one would have to display to think he(someone who played n a death metal band was a fan of all theses subgenres when you were still in diapers) meant Motorhead and Morbid Angel are QUINTESSENTIAL BLACK METAL BANDS is beyond lunacy.

"Spirit" is black metal to people like Fenriz, look at the bigger picture

And Darkness Descends was widely bootlegged by mid-late 1985. In any case I was just going for a rough proxy, I can't think of any Morbid Angel songs that specifically use that trill and since we now know Fenriz is a lying motherfucker it doesn't matter what he claims.

The only established liar here is you.

https://sendbackmystamps.org/2013/11/25/isten-5-finland-1990/darkthrone-1-3/

"People have compared us to bands like Dark Angel, Atheist, Autopsy, and Death, and even this is quite ridiculous (at least Dark Angel)"
But since you've pointed out that Fenriz has also claimed that Darkness Descends is one of his all-time favorites, despite disowning Dark Angel elsewhere, I think the only real conclusion we can draw is that Fenriz, like all second-wave artists, is a poser.

Implication being he can't think Darkness Descends is one of the best metal albums while simultaneously not being influenced by them? This is just more of your warped perception and lying in order to make a point.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity