Song Survivor - Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky round 1

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's established as part of the development of Darkthrone that they were just into tight death metal in the late 80's up until abandoning Goatlord. Fenriz has said in many interviews that they got bored with the over-saturation of death metal in 1990 and he started digging backwards into heavy metal, speed metal and thrash metal and this lead to him switching up the goals of Darkthrone. Given that, it makes perfect sense for him to scoff at being compared to Dark Angel in 1990 and disliking thrash metal in 1990, because that was before he had a total change of mind about metal itself. His claim of Darkness Descends being a favourite album of his comes much much later in the timeline of interviews.

So then explain why the interviewer in the same question explicitly brings up Bonded by Blood with respect to Panzerfaust.

He clearly claimed to hate thrash in 1990. He clearly claimed to love at least some of it (Exodus) in 1995. In an interview with the same context as that 1995 album he also claimed to love Darkness Descends. Now we see above that he now claims to have loved thrash since 1984. The only reason you won't ever find him admitting to the influence of thrash in the early 90s is because he was denying it for black metal cred. Taking a dumbass poser like Fenriz seriously is like taking a neo-Nazi's history of Europe seriously.

Which interview is Bonded by Blood mentioned is what my "?" was getting at. Seemed like you were saying Panzerfaust is mentioned in that old zine interview you linked.

Did you not read the fucking link I supplied? This is why arguing anything with you is pointless. At least Tech can do independent research.

Did you not read the fucking link I supplied? This is why arguing anything with you is pointless. At least Tech can do independent research.

I was actually reading that interview when this all started, I just forgot what the interviewer asked is all. Him loving thrash in 1995 fits perfectly in with the timeline I talked about where during the recording of Goatlord in 1990 he had a total change of mind about metal and this lead them down the black metal road. Not really sure how this is making any point in your favour, unless you don't think teens are allowed to have dumb ass views like "thrash sucks" or that nobody can change their taste over the span of 5 years.

"Thrasher since '84" is genuinely funny/lame though.

I was actually reading that interview when this all started, I just forgot what the interviewer asked is all. Him loving thrash in 1995 fits perfectly in with the timeline I talked about where during the recording of Goatlord in 1990 he had a total change of mind about metal and this lead them down the black metal road. Not really sure how this is making any point in your favour, unless you don't think teens are allowed to have dumb ass views like "thrash sucks" or that nobody can change their taste over the span of 5 years.

"Thrasher since '84" is genuinely funny/lame though.

The far simpler hypothesis is that he more or less always enjoyed thrash but was just too afraid to admit it. It's not like he starting incorporating thrash into their sound immediately after 1995 either.

1989/1990: plays death metal, hates thrash, thinks comparison to Dark Angel is ridiculous.

Late 1990: thinks death metal is played out, abandons new death metal album, rediscovers 80's classics, quickly puts together black metal album with some leftover death metal riffs.

1995: shouts out Bonded by Blood on album liner notes.

1999 after Ravishing Grimness release: Darkness Descends is one of my favourites.

1989/1990: plays death metal, hates thrash, thinks comparison to Dark Angel is ridiculous.

Late 1990: thinks death metal is played out, abandons new death metal album, rediscovers 80's classics, quickly puts together black metal album with some leftover death metal riffs.

1995: shouts out Bonded by Blood on album liner notes.

1999 after Ravishing Grimness release: Darkness Descends is one of my favourites.

Yes, that is a timeline of claims made by Fenriz.

He actually gave a weird reason for why he hates thrash in that interview:

darkthrone-1.jpeg

Yes, that is a timeline of claims made by Fenriz.

He forged a lifetime of lies just so he could sneak in some Dark Angel riffs into his first black metal album. I'm not saying believe the guy just because, but you seem to assume your alternative tale is more believable.

The lies and the music are unrelated. The lies are just his ego. I only brought up the lies because you guys took his word at face value regarding the writing of his own album, citing him as proof that Dark Angel or thrash in general couldn't have been an influence. The music is just the music he wanted to write, and as I pointed out to you, timestamp included, a small amount of that music happened to resemble Dark Angel.

I just thought it was interesting that the two songs you claim have great riffs are the two songs he specifically said were written for the album, and are pure black metal, and this ties in ironically because you always refer to black metal as riffless or shit-tier riffs or whatever. I just found it funny personally the way it all came full circle.

I just thought it was interesting that the two songs you claim have great riffs are the two songs he specifically said were written for the album, and are pure black metal, and this ties in ironically because you always refer to black metal as riffless or shit-tier riffs or whatever. I just found it funny personally the way it all came full circle.

That isn't even what I said. I mentioned In the Shadow as an example of a song that DOESN'T have good riffs, and said it was the obvious weak link. The three songs that are "pure black metal" (by Fenriz' now-established-as-meaningless standard) are my #2, #3, and #6 for the album. Not exactly a conclusive bias one way or the other. Further, as I've said, Mayhem is not riffless and other black metal bands, including Darkthrone, can write good riffs on occasion.

giphy.gif

Pretty sure Tech already shat on you enough for your paradoxical views on riffs and black metal in this thread, no need to continue the destruction.

You're one of those people that can't feel self-assured unless you have a cock in your mouth. Now that Omni's gone you've swung branches over to Tech.

btw, I just searched my post history and I've literally never even called black metal riffless on this forum. Every time I was referring specifically to riffless black metal, meaning black metal that is riffless, meaning a subcategory of the sub-genre known as black metal, particularly atmospheric/depressive black metal. Most of my posts going back to 2010 have been at least mildly supportive of Darkthrone. But keep on eating Tech's cum if that's what you're into.