Song survivor - Slayer - Hell Awaits round 1

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HamburgerBoy you’ve gone too far this time voting for “Kill Again”. There’s nothing ‘ordinary’ about this merciless psychotic beast of a track. You just couldn’t survive its brutal thrashing. 2:58 - the Angel of Death tier scream is one of my favourite parts of the album.

If it comes between “Praise of Death” and “Crypts of Eternity” I’d have to side with the latter. But yeah nothing less than a 9/10 here and most tracks are 10/10 for me.

If voting for Fall From Grace first round was a head-scratcher, I am completely flabbergasted that people would vote for the title track first up here.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Because next to the genuinely deranged, terrifying and psychotic shit that makes up the rest of this album it’s quite charicature and theatrical, complete with the processed growls. There’s a reason Crade of Filth covered it and not “At Dawn they Sleep”. IMO, of course.

I still love it, but not as much as the rest of the album. And I love the first 90 seconds or so a lot.

Because next to the genuinely deranged, terrifying and psychotic shit that makes up the rest of this album it’s quite charicature and theatrical, complete with the processed growls. There’s a reason Crade of Filth covered it and not “At Dawn they Sleep”.
I'd consider the first few minutes of Hell Awaits genuinely deranged, terrifying and psychotic as well. And where exactly are these processed growls? In fact it has to be one of Tom's greatest vocal performances. How the hell dis he fit all of the syllables into the chorus?

Yeah, Cradle also covered Hallowed be thy Name & Death Comes Ripping, but that shouldn't detract anything from those songs.

EDIT: Lol I know what you mean by processed growls..."HEELLLL AWAITS" Haha

Reactions: Phylactery
The Cradle thing was tongue-in-cheek, it doesn’t have any impact on my appreciation of the song. Their cover is fucking awful! It just seems to be more in their style in its theatrics than anything else on the album.

And you missed my edit where I said I love the first 90 seconds or so.

6 way tie without the title track sounds good to me :p

Reactions: jimmy101
HamburgerBoy you’ve gone too far this time voting for “Kill Again”. There’s nothing ‘ordinary’ about this merciless psychotic beast of a track. You just couldn’t survive its brutal thrashing. 2:58 - the Angel of Death tier scream is one of my favourite parts of the album.

It's basically the same verse riff and vocal rhythm over and over iirc. His delivery on it reminds me of Chuck Billy's (generally mediocre) delivery on the first Testament album.

It was one of the highlights from when I saw them live a few months back. That along with “Black Magic”, “”Angel of Death” and “Post Mortem”. But it seems to be the only track from Hell Awaits that they ever play.

They still put on a great show, btw. Really enjoyed it.

They played the Hell Awaits title track when I saw them two summers ago. Definitely a great show.

I was talking about the title track and not “Kill Again”, btw. You ninjad me. I don’t think they ever play anything else from this album and haven’t done for years.

Also, since its release, I doubt they’ve ever done a show where they haven’t played “Angel of Death” or “Raining Blood”. They must be so tired of playing those songs by now!

Saying that, “Angel of Death” is probably my most listened to Slayer song and I’m still not tired of it. A top 5 Slayer song for me.

The way most people carry on, if they aren't already high, they fucking should be!