Sooo, what's your favourite 2007 albums so far?

:D Uhhh, I downloaded the ENTIRE Chinese Democracy album. IRS and Better are AMAZING songs. Heck of a lot better album than 90% of what has been released this year, hehe.

Also, I can't really compare HIM to PT...too different. But, I listen to HIM FAR more than PT. because of the catchy style. I'm ALWAYS in the mood for some HIM, but it's not so much the case with PT. Now Katatonia and HIM are pretty damn equal...:p I could NEVER decide.

Daniel Johns is a genius. I had faith he'd write good stuff even if it wasn't as dark. But obviously not:( Straight Lines was catchy but wore off very quickly. And I can't really say much about the rest of the album. Mediocre.

The main beef beside the lack of darkness was how he used his voice really. Seems he can't do that awesome switching between his raspy and mellow voice anymore

In no particular order (apart from alphabetical)...

Ahab - The Oath
Dir en grey - The Marrow of a Bone
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Funeral - From These Wounds
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Shining - V: Halmstad
Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Virgin Black - Requiem - mezzo forte
VNV Nation - Judgement
Warning - Watching From A Distance

Released, but I've not yet listened to...

DHG - Supervillain Outcast
Diluvium - From Always
Elend - A World in Their Screams
Immolation - Shadows in the Light
Laethora - Parasite
Monolithe - Interlude Premier
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times
Wijlen Wij - Wijlen Wij

So far, I'm only really crazy about three albums this year:

Porcupine Tree- Fear of a Blank Planet
Blackfield- Blackfield
Rumskib- Rumskib

It's just dissapointing, because it seems like for the last few years there's only been a handful of albums a year that I've really cared about.

I wish I could build a time machine and go back to say, 96 or 97 when there were a TON of great doom and black metal albums being released so consistently. I miss those high school days where I was always so excited about new music... most of those bands have either broken up or are well past their prime, with Porcupine Tree and Katatonia perhaps being the two greatest exceptions.

Top 5 -

Moonsorrow - V-Havietty
Blackfield - Blackfield II
Skinny Puppy - Mythmaker
Anekdoten - A Time of Day
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I miss Everyone

Also good....

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
NIN - Year Zero
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
QOTSA - Era Vulgaris
Tiger Army - Music From Regions Beyond
Grayceon - Grayceon

^^and rereleased this year. this is probably the one he means. the thing with the Funeral album is strange. i'm 100% sure i bought it last year, and i still live in Germany

^^and rereleased this year. this is probably the one he means. the thing with the Funeral album is strange. i'm 100% sure i bought it last year, and i still live in Germany

Well, it was supposed to be released in Norway in Dec. 2006, world 2007. Perhaps some shops just got it from Norway? Who knows. You might say this one was released in 2006 and 2007

(and yeah, The Oath was re-released on vinyl in january. Considering the last one was a CDR of 30 copies, or something like that, I think I can justify saying this is a favorite from this year.)