Soundcard is popping/cracking

Cacoph0ny

Feb 23, 2008
Ever since yesterday whenever I play audio on my PC there are random pops/snaps/cracks every 10 seconds or so. I know that the problem is the soundcard because I have used headphones in the same input and it still does this, eliminating the possibility that it's my speakers or the cable I use to hook the speakers up. Does anyone know how I could fix this? I'm using the on board soundcard on the motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130246). The drivers are up to date.

I've had similar problems with my sound card in the past. Is it an internal (PCI) card? If so, it may not be securely connected. This happened to me when my computer got bumped a little bit and it was just because the screw wasn't tight enough so the card was loose. Probably just a buffer problem though.

I have that problem, it had to do (for me) with the PCI E card, with the regular PCI card everything was fine and it induces into recording, last recording I did, vocals were all full of crackles... luckily they are unheard-able in the mix, but I'm fucking pissed, had to e-mail motu to send me a new one

I had this problem the first time I tried running a Tascam interface, then I got an M-Audio and the same problem happened.....

after much research and frustration, I put the M-Audio in its box and was sure I'd never use it.

Then I heard something which I tried and it worked.

Control Panel ->Device Manager -> Network Adapters

for some reason, my WiFi adapter was causing the crackles. I disable all my Network Adapters when recording, and never have the problem.

Maybe this will help, maybe not. Good luck!