Speaking of welfare...

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
I was standing in line at the Publix the other day, when I noticed that the lady in front of me had many expensive looking rings on her fingers that extended to show off her exceptionally long manicured fingernails. I also noticed that she was talking on her cell phone. when it was time for her to pay for her mostly junk food, from what I could see...she broke out her food stamp card.

I thought to myself...my tax dollars are paying for her junk food, expensive jewelry, maniucred nails, and her cell phone.

Now...the kicker

When she got into the parking lot, she pulled out her car keys and hit her alarm button, which opened the door to her lexus.

Only in America.

*I'm surprised she hasn't been caught yet*.. (when I was on it, I constantly had to prove my income, go to the office and show my current house bills, etc.).

However, I think the worst case of federal goverment money being absolutely wasted is State Tuition Assistance and Federal Tuition money. Here's how it works: You apply for aid, and you wait. Now since even rich kids can do this, you're really going to be astonished by what I tell you. So you wait for the aid, and you get it...$2500 free tax money for one semester. If you go to a community college that charges $100 a credit, and you take, say, 12 credits (full-time), that would be $1200. Subtract books (not including housing, since this is community college, and there's no housing on campus), about $300, and you're left with $1000. YOU GET TO KEEP THIS MONEY TO DO AS YOU PLEASE WITH. I received a check for $650 in the mail after I finished my term, since it was the leftover of my funds - and bought clothes, a new television, camera, bookcase, lots of CD's, etc. Surprise, surprise, eh?

I dont believe in welfare in the first place, there is no such thing as a selfless act. A human is not capable of it, everything humans do is egoistical in the very end, welfare is just a selfish way to feel good about yourself doing something morally correct.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
I dont believe in welfare in the first place, there is no such thing as a selfless act. A human is not capable of it, everything humans do is egoistical in the very end, welfare is just a selfish way to feel good about yourself doing something morally correct.

Well, thats a very interesting image you try to convey there. However I don't think you believe a lot of the stuff you say...

Do you truly consider the many people that sacrificed their lives during the holocaust trying to save people from death not selfless.

Having read many of your posts I am forced to think the majority of things you say are more for a persona than what you believe, the world isn't as black and white as you say. While there are a great many people who wouldn't do something selfless there are also some good people in the world who would...

If you looked beyond the end of your nose, grow up and actually try and find some good in humans, I think you would be surprised...

that shit pisses me off. i used to work at this food distribution warehouse and there were more puerto ricans and dominicans working there than any other nationality. some of them had like 3 social security #'s. so they were working full time, collecting welfare, and un-enployment. scum bag motherfuckers.

I'm not getting into a debate, but speaking as someone who was on welfare, I did not abuse the system, and it helped me when I needed that help.

There are people who abuse the system, and there are people who don't. There are fewer people on welfare payroll now than it's been in ages, due to welfare to work programs, limits on the amount of time you can receive assistance, etc. Welfare is what is being used to help people in need: what people do with welfare is another thing altogether.

There will never be a perfect solution to this social problem, and there will always be abusers of the system, but don't forget that there are people who truly put the system to work for them in a positive way, and if they don't abuse it, can be used as a catalyst to something better/positive, that will give back to the system they borrowed from, AND be more productive members of society.

And the reason why I think the federal/state grants are more of a waste is because every single person that is approved for college financial assistance always gets more money than they need. I found out about this through a financial aid advisor. So ANY extra monies that are left go into the student's pocket, be it $1.00 or $1000, to be spent on whatever they please, be it school-related or (usually) not. I think there should be more control over the leftover money: if the student used the amount of money they needed for that particular term, and since you have to apply for aid every single term (the money does not roll over), send the difference back to the school grant money pool!

I'm only referring to what happens here in America.

Do you truly consider the many people that sacrificed their lives during the holocaust trying to save people from death not selfless.

Yes not selfless. Martyrdom is not a selfless act is an stupid act motivated often by crazy fanatism towards moral values, do you honestly think that the god of pity and love doesnt teach martyrdom to its brainwashed followers? i know what you are saying other non judeo-christian persons also indulge in this selfish acts of amazing stupidity but Moral systems are the base of all and moral systems are heavily influenced by each other across the world.

Having read many of your posts I am forced to think the majority of things you say are more for a persona than what you believe, the world isn't as black and white as you say. While there are a great many people who wouldn't do something selfless there are also some good people in the world who would...

Quick example:

-Dumbing 3 months old kids in the trash: Roleplaying
-Considering abortion discussions stupid: My actual Opinion

I honestly do not believe in selfless acts its just not possible, i will be more than happy to change my mind if someone shows me an example of a true selfless without any selfish flaws on it.

If you looked beyond the end of your nose, grow up and actually try and find some good in humans, I think you would be surprised...

Your stupidity just shows me that life is too short to waste it on looking in assholes like you, i rather not look at all for good cualities i found them once by casuality if i find them again by casuality so be it, if i dont at least i will not die of fucking frustration.

I honestly do not believe in selfless acts its just not possible, i will be more than happy to change my mind if someone shows me an example of a true selfless without any selfish flaws on it.

I agree with this. But it doesn't follow that because something is "selfish" that it's neccesarily bad. Even the opposite is not neccesarily true: that something is "selfless," or done selflessly, doesn't make it neccesarily better- or "more good".

-Dumbing 3 months old kids in the trash: Roleplaying
-Considering abortion discussions stupid: My actual Opinion

What about my examples, the people in the holocaust helping the Jews to escape and hide at the risk of their own lives.

The white people in America in the 50's who supported equality and were beaten upand in some cases lynched over an issue that they could have just left

Where is the selfishness in that?

Your stupidity just shows me that life is too short to waste it on looking in assholes like you, i rather not look at all for good cualities i found them once by casuality if i find them again by casuality so be it, if i dont at least i will not die of fucking frustration.

:lol: can you explain the above to me? Feel free to not waste your life on assholes like me, but looking in me?

And by cualities do you mean qualitites? And I can find no meaning for the word casuality, even if you mean casualty, I can't make sense of it :confused: :D :D

Its really mature to ignore what i said and just look at the spelling mistakes, fine im fucking sorry i wasnt born in an english speaking country.

cuality=quality
casuality=casualty, accident, random

The people helping the jews? o come on and you are gonna tell me that U.S.A. truly just wanted to help on nam? that they were just looking for Bin Laden in afganistan? Give me a break.
Jewish people = Money. Look at things right now, you want to stay on the good side of them to get some bucks going on. In the remote case this isnt true it can also be christian martyrdom values driven by pure stupidity, in their own twisted retarded monkey brain they feel good about themselves cause they risk their life for the good of others, its just a way to boost your self esteem how is that selfless?

The white people? wanting respect amongs the black comunity on a so stupid vision that it was obiously gonna be resolved in favor of the african american comunity, it was just having a little vision and having a lot of friends when the storm passes. It could also be stupid martyrdom to boost the self esteem.

Allocations of monies:

Money is allocated to various types of programs according to the budget.

The money allocated towards college grants, which is inclusive of government assisted tuition to those who qualify is budgeted.

In the past 8 years, the monies allocated for that particular program have exceeded what was actually spent by those requesting assistance.

The monies allocated for welfare account for much more spending and have been completely used, with no funds leftover, albeit, since the republicans forced Clinton to sign 7-10 articles in the Contract with America (btw, Clinton took credit for), which included welfare reform, the monies allocated have increased yearly at a lesser rate.

Just what the fuck am I trying to say, one may ask?

The U.S. goverment wastes more money on welfare, than it spends, yes spends on education, because money spent on education, even if some abuse it (and I would like to see those statistics), at least it used to educate our citizens and therefore enable them to be more productive in our society.

The U.S. goverment wastes more money on welfare, than it spends, yes spends on education

A perfect example of the flaws in the system (and very true). Yes, education is extremely important - but so is helping our country's needy. Poor education and poor families are a fact of this country: the government would rather allocate more money making sure children have a roof over their heads, are clothed, and fed, have medical care (Medicaid), etc., as opposed to children getting a good education. Sadly, unbalanced but true.

The government attempts to correct the PRESENT state of affairs (pending homelessness with families, no food to eat, unexpected loss of job/inability to care for family), and then worry about education (or not worry about it at all, it seems), since education applies to the future development of the child, not their present state of living.

**Edit: When I was on welfare, I wanted to go to college. My option? Take a certificate course. A certificate course requires no core requirements (reading comprehension, chemistry, biology, algebra, etc.). A certificate course strips everything but what you need to directly do the job, be it typing, nails, administrative secretary, accounting, etc. I went right ahead and enrolled in a 2 year degree. Got yelled at, and was threatened that if I didn't get EXCELLENT grades, all public money that was given to me while I was in school would have to be reimbursed (this would not have happened if I would have enrolled in a certificate program). I took 16 credits and got a 4.0 average. Eat that you welfare dummies!

I feel our government is very primitive, compared to what it could be, and these are one of the social government blunders in the history of the US. But nations grow, and I think that in the future (near or far), we will come to the realization that our welfare/education system is full of cracks, and hopefully will be balanced (Ooooh, I hope sooner rather than later!!!)

Originally posted by Jannet
I'm not getting into a debate, but speaking as someone who was on welfare, I did not abuse the system, and it helped me when I needed that help.

There are people who abuse the system, and there are people who don't. There are fewer people on welfare payroll now than it's been in ages, due to welfare to work programs, limits on the amount of time you can receive assistance, etc. Welfare is what is being used to help people in need: what people do with welfare is another thing altogether.

There will never be a perfect solution to this social problem, and there will always be abusers of the system, but don't forget that there are people who truly put the system to work for them in a positive way, and if they don't abuse it, can be used as a catalyst to something better/positive, that will give back to the system they borrowed from, AND be more productive members of society.

And the reason why I think the federal/state grants are more of a waste is because every single person that is approved for college financial assistance always gets more money , than they need. I found out about this through a financial aid advisor. So ANY extra monies that are left go into the student's pocket, be it $1.00 or $1000, to be spent on whatever they please, be it school-related or (usually) not. I think there should be more control over the leftover money: if the student used the amount of money they needed for that particular term, and since you have to apply for aid every single term (the money does not roll over), send the difference back to the school grant money pool!

I'm only referring to what happens here in America.

So I take it you are one of the people who abuses the system seeing as you spent $650 on nonschool-related goods. And that extra money is actually supposed to used responsibly. I wouldn't mind being one of the recipients of that school grant money pool but in my experience it hasn't been the easiest convincing the government that I qualify for any kind of financial aid. I make too much money (and 16K a year isn't exactly a lot of money when you live in the Bay Area). Anyway, like I said, I wouldn't mind a handout from our government but it almost seems like they don't want people to educate themselves. If I could just go to school and get my education under way, I would. As it is, I've just settled with working part-time (to make less money so I can qualify for aid) and going to school full-time (although not this semester) at a community college. It's not the best education but at least I'm taking initiative. I'm sure other people know this as well, but working and trying to concentrate on your studies enough to do as well as you want isn't exactly the easiest. There aren't enough hours in the day!and with what my major is (BioChemistry) you need that time to be able to study and fully learn your subject. I digress, but the bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with welfare....if it is used correctly. But, all too often, I see the system being abused and that affects people like me who actually would benefit from it.

So I take it you are one of the people who abuses the system seeing as you spent $650 on nonschool-related goods.

No, I am not one of those people that abuse the system. The funds were allocated to me, and I received a check in the mail AFTER I finished my courses. I mentioned this. Once I finished my classes, I had no need to buy school items. And those financial aid people will not take the money back - they are prohibited by law to do so.

*Hehehe..here is a prime example of a post that starts arguments. Assumptions about the person's character based on falsity/misunderstanding.

Its really mature to ignore what i said and just look at the spelling mistakes, fine im fucking sorry i wasnt born in an english speaking country.

cuality=quality
casuality=casualty, accident, random

:rolleyes: The only reason I pointed out the spelling mistakes was because I really didn't understand what you were trying to say, so kindle explain :rolleyes: You really think I'm petty enough just to pick out spelling mistakes to piss you off? :err: If you do, I'm not I honestly want to know what you were trying to say, I apologise if you got the wrong impression

The people helping the jews? o come on and you are gonna tell me that U.S.A. truly just wanted to help on nam? that they were just looking for Bin Laden in afganistan? Give me a break

This has got nothing to do with nam or osama bin laden, the people that gave up their lives to protect others during WW2 :confused:

Jewish people = Money. Look at things right now, you want to stay on the good side of them to get some bucks going on. In the remote case this isnt true it can also be christian martyrdom values driven by pure stupidity, in their own twisted retarded monkey brain they feel good about themselves cause they risk their life for the good of others, its just a way to boost your self esteem how is that selfless?

You think the jews had any money in world war two? All of it was taken from them by the nazis. Many of the people who helped the jews weren't christian, they did it to save 100's of innocent people dying for their religion and in doing so lost their lives, again I ask, what is selfish about this? You really think people would risk their lives just to improve their self esteem??

The white people? wanting respect amongs the black comunity on a so stupid vision that it was obiously gonna be resolved in favor of the african american comunity, it was just having a little vision and having a lot of friends when the storm passes. It could also be stupid martyrdom to boost the self esteem.

It wasn't at the time, for many they thought there would never be an end to it. So you think all of these people allowed themselves to be beaten etc. just so they would be thanked later? It was clear to everyone that no-one would be in a position to reward them, I refute utterly they did it for the recognition, they did it for the cause

Such cynicism eventually becomes a form of moral cowardice, as it resolves you of the need to care or be involved with the rest of humanity....

Originally posted by Jannet

No, I am not one of those people that abuse the system. The funds were allocated to me, and I received a check in the mail AFTER I finished my courses. I mentioned this. Once I finished my classes, I had no need to buy school items. And those financial aid people will not take the money back - they are prohibited by law to do so.

*Hehehe..here is a prime example of a post that starts arguments. Assumptions about the person's character based on falsity/misunderstanding.

1) You didn't have to cash the check.

2) If you want to reread your previous posts, you will see that I am not starting an argument, I was just replying to what you wrote.