Spin's top 40 metal albums - a rebutal

I haven't read the issue of Spin being discussed. Actually, I've never even read spin. A few years ago, Rolling Stone did a top ten or twenty metal bands list. It had Morbid Angel, Soilent Green, Pantera, Messugah, and a few other credible bands. However, I don't know why those magazines even attempt to talk about something when they don't do the proper research. I once saw a Rolling Stone article that said Randy Rhoads was the first guitarist for Black Sabbath. I laughed so hard I wet myself.

It's impossible to make such a list and put it in a magazine! Everybody got different taste, so the only person that'll like it is the guy who made it! As simple as that!
Personally "Appetite for destruction" would be in my top 5 of "metal" records, although I would call it heavy rock. The thing is that here in Denmark metal is usually called "heavy" and it includes all the stuff from 80's glam shit to Marduk & Cannibal Corpse, so that's why I'll include it.
I see his point in stuff like System of a down shouldn't be included as it's just a new hit and shit, but as much as I dislike Korn I think their first album should be included if it were a list of most IMPORTANT (not best) metal records. I've never liked them, but I have respect for a single band can influence and create an entire scene (the nu-metal crap) although I dislike the music.
If it were a list of most important records people may agree, but if it was a list of best records, people will never agree! His point in "Aside from the obvious fact that putting Rage ahead of Slayer on a supposedly "metal" list is as moronic as teaching abstinence to teenagers, The Battle For Los Angeles isn't even a good Rage record. Their first one is good, not better than Reign In Blood or even close to as good, but good enough that with enough bribe-money from Sony I might see fit to put it somewhere on my List. Say at number 499, just ahead of the Anthrax album without Joey Belladonna on it." doesn't work if you ask me. He thinks "Reign in blood" is better, but that's a matter of taste. I have the same opinion, but that's not important. I would say "Reign.." is more important than the Rage record, but if you use taste as your arguments you will fall flat on your face. Once we posted our top 25 metal records here and my list mostly consisted of black metal, Type O Negative, Iron Maiden & the GN'R record. I wouldn't call many of them the most important records, but my personal favorites. But anyway, if you post the most important metal records people will disagree anyway. As I said everybody got different taste, so there's no point in discussing it.

Originally posted by erich
My friend Jonny read the Spin metal issue, got super pissed, wrote this and wants all of humanity to see it. It's pretty good.

Spin Sucks

But, but, but...Bill & Ted liked Van Halen - they must be metal!

Seriously though, Run-DMC are about as metal as Uri Geller's spoon collection...I can see why someone would mistake Bon Jovi or VH for a metal band, but if Run-DMC had got on that list, I would have joined the lynch mob (not da lench mobb). Still and all though, someone better tell me that Iron Maiden made it onto that list before I break out the bad voodoo.

Originally posted by erich
My friend Jonny read the Spin metal issue, got super pissed, wrote this and wants all of humanity to see it. It's pretty good.

If your friend Jonny is such an expert on metal, surely he would not display such gross ignorance as to think "Rage" is acceptable shorthand for "Rage Against the Machine". Rage is a solid metal act from Germany who have been putting music out for nearly twenty years...something any knowledgeable metalhead would know.

If we are talking about albums that are important to metal that would be differanet than Important metal albums. Led Zepplin 4 is a very important album to metal even though it is not metal. Many of the albums that made the list were pre-metal albums and very important to metal...so they should not be on the list since the worded it as Important metal albums. The rap crap like Kid Rock, Run-DMC, RATM (a better shorthand than simply Rage), & the others are so stupid I'm not even going to talk about them.

Originally posted by Mocika

:)

btw, i don`t know this Spin magazine... what is it like?

It's a mainstream music mag. In the states it's probably a bit behind Rolling Stone in circulation, but it's very big. I'd guess that their circulation is around 1 million.

Unlike RS, Spin tries to be hip, so occasionally they'll throw in something about Fugazi or DJ Shadow and they generally stay away from boy bands and stuff. Their bread and butter is Pappa Roach, Jay-z, and shit like that.