TOP-5 Scandinavian Albums

As for my list, this is pretty fucking difficult since A LOT of my record collection is comprised of Nordic/Scandinavian stuff. But, something like this maybe...

Katatonia "Brave Murder Day"
Ulver "Bergtatt"
At the Gates "The Red in the Sky Is Ours"
Burzum "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss"
Bathory "Blood Fire Death"

I could have put stuff like Darkthrone "Transilvanian Hunger", Helheim "Jormundgand", Tiamat "A Deeper Kind of Slumber", Enslaved "Vikingligr Veldi", Skepticism "Stormcrowfleet" and "Aes", Emperor "In the Nightside Eclipse", etc, etc there... But five is five.

Gory Elephant said:
My followup question would be, then, where in hell are the marduk fans??? I am surprised that Panzer Division Marduk is not picked by folks here, or maybe Nightwing.
Well, don't ask me, 'cause I don't like Marduk much. :p

marduk is cool, but world funeral is their best album. they may have been in my top 10, but i dont think they rank as high as the bands i have allready listed
~gR~

Gory Elephant said:
May I ask why? Just curious.
I think they're boring. Legion is a crap vocalist, PDW has a lot of brutality for brutality's sake but is basically pop in the structures (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus/chorus) which makes the songs have little long-lasting appeal to me. There are good Marduk songs, I haven't even heard all their albums, but I know I like their old stuff better. So far, not enough to buy any of their albums.

I saw Marduk live some months ago when they played in Slovakia, they were atrocious. "Rock'n'roll metal" (with good drums, mind you, but that's not enough) and a lot of lard, warpaint, and leather. I am sure they wash it off real quick when they come home to their wives and children. :)

Erik said:
I think they're boring. Legion is a crap vocalist, PDW has a lot of brutality for brutality's sake but is basically pop in the structures (verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus/chorus) which makes the songs have little long-lasting appeal to me. There are good Marduk songs, I haven't even heard all their albums, but I know I like their old stuff better. So far, not enough to buy any of their albums.

Wow. I think Legion is a great vocalist. To each their own, eh? Yah, I agree about the friendly, pop-like structure of a lot of their songs, I have always said that Marduk is, in my opinion, far and away the best "commercial" black metal band. Their latest release, WOrld Funeral, confirmed this for me. Great CD.

Not another list. Why oh why? What is the criteria, is it personal taste, influence on other bands, muscianship/songwriting? I still dont see how lists on music can be made, music is anything but objective.

I agree, but it's an apt cure for boredom, so here's my personal list, in no particular order(By the way, this was an extremely difficult list to compose, perhaps I should've given it more thought):

Ulver-"Nattens Madrigal"
Limbonic Art-"In Abhorrence Dementia"
Opeth-"Morningrise"
Amorphis-"Tuonela" or "Tales from the Thousand Lakes"(I can't decide!)
Borknagar-"Quintessence"

Honorable Mentions: Sonata Arctica-"Silence"
Vintersorg-"Cosmic Genesis"

1. Ulver - "Kveldssanger" / "Themes from William Blake's..."
2. Emperor - "Anthems..."
3. Opeth - "Still Life" / "Morningrise" (tie)
4. Children Of Bodom - "Hatebreeder"
5. Arcturus - "Aspera Heims Symfonia"

Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi

No surprises.

Gory Elephant said:
Wow. I think Legion is a great vocalist. To each their own, eh? Yah, I agree about the friendly, pop-like structure of a lot of their songs, I have always said that Marduk is, in my opinion, far and away the best "commercial" black metal band. Their latest release, WOrld Funeral, confirmed this for me. Great CD.
Anyways, I think he isn't in the band anymore.

Erik said:
By the most strict definition, only Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Sometimes it also includes Finland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands, but in Scandinavia we go by the first definition of Scandinavia and call all six countries "Norden." There is, as far as I know, no good English translation of Norden. EDIT: Uh, "the Nordic countries" perhaps. :p
Yeah.. that's because those countries speak scandinavian language I think. I don't really care tho.. I'd say finland is a part of scandinavia.. Atleast when ppl talk bout scandinavia I count finland in. And swedish is an official language here... :dopey:

Immortal- At the Heart of Winter
Children of Bodom- Follow the Reaper
Dismember- Like an Everflowing Stream
Satyricon- Nemisis Divina
Sentenced- Down

Hmmmm....There are so many other 'Scandinavian Albums' I love, but since the thread only calls for 5 favorites, here they are, in no particular order:

Hypocrisy - The Final Chapter
The Crown - Deathrace King
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Windir - 1184

In Flames - The Jester Race
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Amon Amarth - The Avenger
Dimmu Borgir - Enthroned Darkness Triumphant
Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times