SSD 3.0 snare comparison/which do you like?

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Ok firstly this is nowhere near as a fair test as I had orginally planned.

I updated my snare drum for a track and cut a section out for you to hear, however since 3.0 overwrote 2.0's samples I had to use a slightly earlier mix to compare with. So one clearly sounds better then the other generally *least to my ears* but just try and focus on the snares.

Same plugins were used however altered slightly due to the 2.0/3.0 differences, exactly the same sample (5a) but from each pack.

Im just interested in your views of how Slate has really pulled out all the stops and updated his snares to sound even better!

Or...if your just interested in hearing a snare from 3.0 with some processing :)

:danceboy:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/451140/Stymphalian_snare1xx.mp3

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/451140/Stymphalian_snare2.mp3

First one sounds better to me.

Are those cymbals from the 3.0 too?

Besides the kick everything else is stock DFHS 1.0.

Ive just had a mess about with 3.0 VST itself, sounds really good its just gonne take me a while to learn how to use it fully since im not used to Kontakt. So for now I just updated this with a new snare, I remember the old one being pretty much gold, so im stoked to fuck if this one is better! :headbang:

That's kind of tough for me. I'm only listening through cheap headphones at work. I think I like the snare itself better in the first clip. But over all, the snare in the second clip seems to sit better in the mix...at least to me. I like the song though!!!

feckin hell, what a mix!

I'd go with the first one as well, but i did notice the entire mix being a bit different on both clips, 1 being more clear, 2 having a thinner snare and a more fizzy sound overall.

Clip 1 is SSD 3.0, 2nd being 2.0.

The new snares seem to take EQ even better than previous samples, ive noticed the ones I A/B'd before I wrote over the old libary that the updated snares either are pretty much the same but with more punch or they have been totally re-EQ'd *Snare5/3/15 comes to mind* and have a lot more midrange, very thick.

I had to add more top end to the updated 5A but as I said, it took it really well, much more controllable with more midrange in there rather than the previously scooped stuff to mix to taste. I also changed my Z4 ambience to the NRG Z5 *unprocessed*, slapped some compression on it and left it. Its mainly roomworks your hearing but with some Z5 blended in.

The old snare5A pretty much just sounds like a spatt of white noise in comparison.

I left the fader exactly the same for both clips and thanks Bob the first clip is one I updated, got rid of a lot of fizz and gave it a lot more low end.

Hey James, definitely agree about the second snare being way too low and way too swallowed in 'verb, so I have a tough time comparing, but I too think I prefer it! Sweet riffing as well, though, the guitars are perhaps a bit loud - keep it up!

Definitely #1. It sounds way bigger and more "natural" to me. I can pick out #2 as a Slate snare right away, but no so much 1!

-Joe

Yeah, as I mentioned over MSN, I retract and go for #1, but there still seems to be something a little weird going on with the "air," and I think it might be the reverb

As long as the weirdness has gotten less obvious from clip 2 to 1, that means im heading in the right direction. Not sure what is could be or if I can even hear it but its getting there!

why did you change the bass as well on the 2 tracks? it makes no sence if you want us to compare snare sounds leave everything else the same... anways the first sample has more bass guitar therfore the snare sounds better to me

Yeah, as I mentioned over MSN, I retract and go for #1, but there still seems to be something a little weird going on with the "air," and I think it might be the reverb

I was going to say the same and forgot! A bit too much verb me thinks...maybe it needs a bit more compression??

-Joe

why did you change the bass as well on the 2 tracks? it makes no sence if you want us to compare snare sounds leave everything else the same... anways the first sample has more bass guitar therfore the snare sounds better to me

Read my first post, I explained this.

Its about comparing the snares which are the same sample just updated versions not if the overall mix has more bass or not enough. Don't let the rest of the mix cloud your judgement.

I was going to say the same and forgot! A bit too much verb me thinks...maybe it needs a bit more compression??

-Joe

I didn't add any additional compression to the "raw" sample :p

Maybe its something to do with the NRG room + verb phasing each other or something? I dunno ill work something out tommorow.