Ssssss?

Aight man, my main complaint about the mix is the guitars. There's a weird high-mid grain to them. Turn the treble knob down until its really smooth, maybe a tad muffled and then turn it up a liiiiiittle bit. That should be nice and clear. That or you could set your high-pass and low pass to say
80hz and 10khz and then dial in your bass and treble knobs to fit.
I quite often do this because like, I dig really really all encompassing THICK tones, so I dial in a lot of bass, but then you get a fuckload of rumble. You high-pass that shit out and you're left with pure thickness.
Or for the high end, low-pass pretty low so shit's a bit muffled and then dial in your high end for clarity, that can work nicely too. It's just one method of dialling in guitar tones. Perhaps I shouldn't be teaching you this shit before you can dial in amazing raw tones, but whatever. I trust you'll use the info responsibly and still work on getting your raw tones as balanced as possible.

For this mix though. Try cutting with at 8-9khz with a fairly wide Q. Also try 5-6khz and 2khz. If your low-pass is at 12khz try pulling it down to 10khz as well and maybe you wont need to cut at 8-9khz.

Kick drum is a little buried a, little boomy and a little raw sounding. Fuck around with 60-100hz range. Try compressing a little more.
Snare drum is also a little raw sounding
4:1 ratio
20ms attack
120ms release
-5db gain reduction on the hardest hits.

Big 200hz boost anywhere from 3db to 9db BEFORE the compressor. High-pass everything below that boost out. Cut around 1khz and boost at 5khz and that should be a nice improvement.

How are you processing bass?

wow
thanks dude
and im processing bass with an Amplitube Ampeg sim cause its Directed.
and i didnt do EVERYTHING you said just yet cause im on my way to band practice so im in a hurry, but i made some changes!

so, hopefully you will approve of them.
thanks alot for the help dude

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2468228/pariah24bit.mp3

p.s. theres still a bit of grit cause that was the guys desired guitar tone.:Smokin:

sounds much better man. keep playing with it though. the most important part to getting a good tone is getting it so sound as close to a "album worthy" tone without any processing, filtering, compression, or anything like that at all. then all you have to do is dial in a few minor tweaks.... and I say this knowing that this is a major issue for my recordings as well. I'm also a noob to this!

if I also have a few words of advice, I'd say this. be humble. be kind. be respectful. be open minded. and do not lash out at members on here. respect and appreciation will go a long way. if you lash out, the people on here that really know what they're doing will no longer want to contribute and help you in any way. if you have any "noob questions" try googleing it first :) it can save you a lot of embarrassment and ridicule. there's also a TON of information to be learned on youtube.

just thinking that beginner corner today on my job and post that idea here and check how many could like that idea cos this forum got killer tips and just think how to make this better or easy to use and find :Spin:

there's a hundred other recording forums that do this. Want to learn how to use eq in your DAW? try the EQ section of your DAW manual or help files.

If you want help, help yourself to the billions of books, magazines and blogs on recording topics. Try podcasts too.
Take what you've read and heard and put it into practice.

I like that on this forum you dont always have to dumb down everything you say and we can have intelligent conversations about recording and production techniques with our peers.

http://forum.recordingreview.com/ is a noob friendly forum.

there's a hundred other recording forums that do this. Want to learn how to use eq in your DAW? try the EQ section of your DAW manual or help files.

If you want help, help yourself to the billions of books, magazines and blogs on recording topics. Try podcasts too.

I like that on this forum you dont always have to dumb down everything you say and we can have intelligent conversations about recording and production techniques with our peers.

Big +1,
I read a really good article on compression from "Sound on Sound" magazine. They really do describe the very basics, but what I enjoy about magazines is that there is usually an image to illustrate the point they make. So I would highly recommend some recording mags.

Also, I like the way your track is sounding linelevel. Its a nice guitar sound and you have nice fade ins, transition etc in the mix. Chorus has nice levels to it also. Nice job

thanx,have to check that site. like i said before that how to use eq was example. my will is only good,i just got that idea if someone cant find what looking for then just ask in that thread without making new thread
cos i read here a lot try to get better and better but i dont wanna make always new thread for my questions and i think it realy keeps things more in order but thats just my opinion.

p.s. theres still a bit of grit cause that was the guys desired guitar tone.:Smokin:

huge improvement, but fucking ignore him and go for the guitar tone YOU think is best for the mix.
musicians are fucking idiots that have no diea what they're talking about when it comes to the sonic aspects of things, so do it without hesitation.

huge improvement, but fucking ignore him and go for the guitar tone YOU think is best for the mix.
musicians are fucking idiots that have no diea what they're talking about when it comes to the sonic aspects of things, so do it without hesitation.

A huge +1.

Don't give the musicians too much input in the mix and don't let them have to much leeway for changes after the mix is done. Simply do two different sounding mixes and give them a choice of which one is their favourite, it works because they have the illusion of input, but ultimately you have control over the way the sound goes.

I see (or hear) exactly what you are talking about, its not a low pass issue TBH, rather the top end distortion is the result of recording too hot and as a result you are saturating something in the recording portion of the gear, either you are clipping the mic (turn down the mic gain on your mic pre) clipping your mic pre, (turn down the output volume on your mic pre) or you are clipping your converters (either the mic pre output is too hot and you are clipping the converters or you don't have your converters calibrated correctly and normal line levels are coming in too hot)

that sound is fine if that's what the client wants, because it very slipknot in nature, but you are better off getting real tube or tape saturation to achieve that, and don't use it so much. The best cheep alternative is to use plugins in your DAW to simulate tape or tube saturation. I did a HUGE tutorial on the topic, just google "How to make your tracks larger" and you will find it.

Öwen;8641115 said:
A huge +1.

Don't give the musicians too much input in the mix and don't let them have to much leeway for changes after the mix is done. Simply do two different sounding mixes and give them a choice of which one is their favourite, it works because they have the illusion of input, but ultimately you have control over the way the sound goes.

Yeah, because ultimately a beginner Audio Engineer will record a far better tone than a musician with zero ability to engineer.
The musician may not be able to dial in a tone as good as yours, but they'll know it's better when they hear it.
Don't be afraid to flaunt your superiority. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, they're paying for your services as someone who knows his shit and has a good ear, so fucking flaunt it.

Don't be afraid to flaunt your superiority. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, they're paying for your services as someone who knows his shit and has a good ear, so fucking flaunt it.

Yup, they expect you to know your shit anyway, so if you're asking them for input all the time then it undermines your superiority and makes them ask questions about if you really know what you are doing.

The studio is supposed to be your domain, so you take control and lead them as opposed to the other way around which will only create hassle for you.

Thats what i said ( well, something along the lines of that ) but he thinks his tone is the shit.
His line6 spider solid state amp has "the tone" according to him lol.
i heard better sounds comin from someones ass.

So i should just do whats best for the mix?
What if he starts bitching?
I'm not too chill on murder :devil:

I see (or hear) exactly what you are talking about, its not a low pass issue TBH, rather the top end distortion is the result of recording too hot and as a result you are saturating something in the recording portion of the gear, either you are clipping the mic (turn down the mic gain on your mic pre) clipping your mic pre, (turn down the output volume on your mic pre) or you are clipping your converters (either the mic pre output is too hot and you are clipping the converters or you don't have your converters calibrated correctly and normal line levels are coming in too hot)

that sound is fine if that's what the client wants, because it very slipknot in nature, but you are better off getting real tube or tape saturation to achieve that, and don't use it so much. The best cheep alternative is to use plugins in your DAW to simulate tape or tube saturation. I did a HUGE tutorial on the topic, just google "How to make your tracks larger" and you will find it.

Man!
I saw that tutorial.
Very good job!

And yea, your theory could be correct cause thats what it most sounds like to me.
I should mess with a fresh guitar recording session tonight and see if i can get a good tone without any sizzle.
Maybe by lowering the mic or pre amp gain.:err:

If shitty is what the client wants, you'll just have to go with it, if you can't convince him to change the tone in any way. The client's will is what killed the dynamics in today's music.

If he's a beginner, I'd make him question his sound, is it really as good as he thinks? From what I've gathered, in this business you'll often have to think about what you say and how you say it, to make the artists understand your position is correct. After all, you can't just say "get away from the amp you fucking moron, that sounds horrible". On the other hand, I'm not sure if you can actually get a good sound from such a shitty amp as a Line 6 Spider...

I'm not in the business myself, but at any rate. Just something I thought of.

Thats what i said ( well, something along the lines of that ) but he thinks his tone is the shit.
His line6 spider solid state amp has "the tone" according to him lol.
i heard better sounds comin from someones ass.

So i should just do whats best for the mix?
What if he starts bitching?
I'm not too chill on murder :devil:

Do what Lasse does and do a blind A/B test with one tone as his spider the other tone as the tone of your choice. In theory he'll pick the better tone (your one) and then he'll have no choice but to agree with you.

The problem here is you left it a bit late for a preemptive strike, he's started to ask questions and be nitpicky, which will make your job more difficult, whatever you do don't call him out on his bad tone, he doesn't need to feel like the guilty party here - it'll make him defensive, just explain calmly to the band as a whole that you feel X tone would be better suited for the mix and thats the reason you feel you should go with it, if you do this well enough the band will make a collective decision that your logic is more sound than his - because after all you're doing this for the whole band - not for a single person.

I agree with the above. A blind A/B test is the best way to go, then he'll realise that its the tone he wants. Until they realise it themselves they may not understand. I remember a few year back I was DI-ing the bass amp using the line out and the bassist saw an extra lead connected to his amp and had no idea what it was for. He freaked, disconnected it all and was fuming for the day. I tried explaining it but as mentioned, he went into the defensive mode and it was his way or no way. I know thats the extreme case, but oh the joys of recording :D

Take DI's, re-amp to your desires. Play him your mix and his mix side by side and if he likes his more, chances are he'll like yours more.

If you don't have DI's, exert even more control. Make it crystal clear to him that he's the one coming to you for recordings because you're the guy that knows how to make shit sound good because presumably he's realised he has no fucking idea how to do it himself. Does that not say it all to him?
There's no harm in being a cunt to your customers. They may not like it but as long as you give them something that was worth the arguments, it's all good. Put your money where your mouth is and give him a really fucking sick mix.

I see most guys here are being good cop while I'm being bad cop.
oh my. D: