Ssssss?

I see most guys here are being good cop while I'm being bad cop.
oh my. D:

Either method works really, its more an establishing of authority thing really, whether you establish it by being an asshole or by presenting yourself as a qualified leader matters little. The former my way or the highway attitude can obviously cause problems with bands telling other bands you're a dick or not coming back to you or whatever.

Man!
I saw that tutorial.
Very good job!

And yea, your theory could be correct cause thats what it most sounds like to me.
I should mess with a fresh guitar recording session tonight and see if i can get a good tone without any sizzle.
Maybe by lowering the mic or pre amp gain.:err:

wouldn't turn down the amp gain, as I have said, the sound is 100% obviously post-speaker. And you are mixing terminologies, that top end clipping is not what you would call sizzle, sizzle is just having enough high end to hear it decently.

Thats what i said ( well, something along the lines of that ) but he thinks his tone is the shit.
His line6 spider solid state amp has "the tone" according to him lol.
i heard better sounds comin from someones ass.

I wouldn't bash on a spider, they are pretty bad ass little amps for the price and can't quite get the tone from any amp in that range minus maybe a spider valve, modded peavey windsor or valveking until you get up to the big bad boys like the rectos and 5150 (and even the more expensive amps)

get DI tracks of the guitars when you are also recording the guitars, then when the leave, reamp your amps the way you find fit, and replace it with the old takes, I wouldn't even tell them, I would say something like I did some eq and compression work to make it fit the mix better and if they are as dumb as most will be, they won't tell jack shit for a difference, if they do, pull out the old track and do a blind test and have them pick.

wouldn't turn down the amp gain, as I have said, the sound is 100% obviously post-speaker. And you are mixing terminologies, that top end clipping is not what you would call sizzle, sizzle is just having enough high end to hear it decently.

I wouldn't bash on a spider, they are pretty bad ass little amps for the price and can't quite get the tone from any amp in that range minus maybe a spider valve, modded peavey windsor or valveking until you get up to the big bad boys like the rectos and 5150 (and even the more expensive amps)

get DI tracks of the guitars when you are also recording the guitars, then when the leave, reamp your amps the way you find fit, and replace it with the old takes, I wouldn't even tell them, I would say something like I did some eq and compression work to make it fit the mix better and if they are as dumb as most will be, they won't tell jack shit for a difference, if they do, pull out the old track and do a blind test and have them pick.

yes your right
im just used to my amps (mesa orange peavey)
if you look at it like that then yes, they are great. but how he was boasting about his tone, it was kind of lame.

there was no mids... no body to it
just an ice pick sound, if that makes sense at all

but i will definitely take all of your tips and put them to the test
they all seem fucking awesome

thanks again!!!:D:D:D

I would also buy a book which gives you a lot of inside in what each tool is doing....this realy helps.
When I was 16 and bought my first books I was so damn pissed because nobody ever wrote some good starting points for compression and eq´s and stuff like this.
4 Years later I realized that there are no holy grails or stuff like that in the audio-engineering bizz.

You just have to cover your track now the technics behind some nobs you turn....
In germany we have this book called TONTECHNIK written by thomas Goerne. This book is like a bible for audio-engineering. I dont know if it is released outside germany so....
But check this guy THOMAS GOERNE is the shit:)

cheers

I would also buy a book which gives you a lot of inside in what each tool is doing....this realy helps.
When I was 16 and bought my first books I was so damn pissed because nobody ever wrote some good starting points for compression and eq´s and stuff like this.
4 Years later I realized that there are no holy grails or stuff like that in the audio-engineering bizz.

You just have to cover your track now the technics behind some nobs you turn....
In germany we have this book called TONTECHNIK written by thomas Goerne. This book is like a bible for audio-engineering. I dont know if it is released outside germany so....
But check this guy THOMAS GOERNE is the shit:)

cheers

oh shit lol

my uncle JUST mentioned a guy with a similar name the other day:|
it may be the same guy your talking about :O

cause we were talking about engineering and how there is some great literature that helps alot.

i will definitely check out some of his shit ^^

I see most guys here are being good cop while I'm being bad cop.
oh my. D:

But you play the part so well

Untill Jeff comes in here and shits on everyone and makes you look disney :lol:

It could. He'll either get butthurt, rage at me then leave or take it sportingly and stick around and eventually get better at the craft.
He hasn't raged at me, so I've got all the more respect for him and for that, I'm gonna critique his mix, CONSTRUCTIVELY at that, cos I'm just that nice a guy.

I hope he stays, reads all the threads and stickies and lurks. That's what I'm doing. Saves my butt from some stretching. Even in this thread there's already a bunch of useful information.

Just listened to the second version with headphones. I'm hearing amp buzz in the staccato parts.
I'd make the double tracked guitars even more tight.

Very sparse, kinda uninteresting, needs texture and movement going on in the background or something. Vocals aren't going to be enough.

However, if one doesn't know what a low pass filter is, or know the difference between a low pass and a shelf EQ (among other things)...then they should not be portraying themselves as commercial studio.

I totally agree.

Ampex SVX is (N)
LePou is (Y)

i checked lepou out
its sounds good for guitar from the clips i heard
is there bass presets aswell or something?

cause at first it just looked like an ENGL sim for guitar

ands its for pc only
i use mac
i think the ampeg svx is cool though

btw there seems to be an epidemic of bunched panties lately

granted lowpass IS pretty much neophyte stuff

ain't no bunched panties up in this topic, just a bunch of guys speaking the truth.

You said it yourself, lowpass is neophyte shit. He should already know this, I don't see where "panties in a bunch" comes into it haha

nah chill
i get what both of you are sayings

lol but i just dont get why people care so much that i
didnt know the terminology for low passing lol
sure it makes me look like an idiot
but whatever

and thanks alot, wolfhalen, for your comment
glad you like it

nah chill
i get what both of you are sayings

lol but i just dont get why people care so much that i
didnt know the terminology for low passing lol
sure it makes me look like an idiot
but whatever

and thanks alot, wolfhalen, for your comment
glad you like it

terminology is very important because it shows that you know both what a tool is and how to use it. Its very unearving when you go to a studio and the engineer doesn't know the terminology. It makes the client or anyone around them believe that the engineer will also not be able to use that gear correctly if he doens't even know what it is called.

It just seems like a lack of education that is a requirement for the field.

terminology is very important because it shows that you know both what a tool is and how to use it. Its very unearving when you go to a studio and the engineer doesn't know the terminology. It makes the client or anyone around them believe that the engineer will also not be able to use that gear correctly if he doens't even know what it is called.

It just seems like a lack of education that is a requirement for the field.

I admire your phrasing and restraint.