Stalemate Live

insidethefall

somewhere nowhere
Jan 26, 2003
pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
When i saw katatonia live (at the metalfest once) and the Live in Paris bootleg, they do Stalemate. But something about this version, they change it and it seems they play the guitar chords a lot higher, and during the Chorus Jonas tries to sing "it's not the way that it used to be..." really high and it sounds like crap, This is really a great song but when i hear this live a cringer, does anyone else agree??

I haven´t heard it live, but I can figure out and in my opinion Discouraged Ones is a tricky album to play (and to listen) live (but "Deadhouse") because it´s a very intimist and studio album, isn´t it? Jonas´ voice sounds quite weak and vulnerable, and guitars seem to be reared apart. A difficult to perform masterpiece.

ben4g said:
I haven´t heard it live, but I can figure out and in my opinion Discouraged Ones is a tricky album to play (and to listen) live (but "Deadhouse") because it´s a very intimist and studio album, isn´t it? Jonas´ voice sounds quite weak and vulnerable, and guitars seem to be reared apart. A difficult to perform masterpiece.

I kind of agree, but you must hear how they play it live, they change it so much where they could have just done it the normal way and it would have been way better. Another thing about the discouraged ones stuff is that the simplicty of the drumming on that album turns into something flashy when they do it live (in part of the new drummer) it takes away the depressing aspect of the songs.

I also kinda agree with you, insidethefall. The drums sound really lame, weak. But they give a very special trait to DO: Seems it´s traipsing while sounding.

ben4g said:
I also kinda agree with you, insidethefall. The drums sound really lame, weak. But they give a very special trait to DO: Seems it´s traipsing while sounding.

Don't get me wrong, I love the drum work on discouraged ones...it's very simplistic and kind of monotone (accenting the whole mood of the album) they are also very loud and noticible. What i was saying is the new drummer tries and makes it "flashy" during the live performance, which doesn't do the song justice and ruins the atmsosphere.

Discourages ones is a really mellow album. They probably just want to spice the songs up live so people will enjoy themselves more.