Stand-Up Comedy Thread

finally going through my chronological 2020s stand-up watchlist, which is fucking huge 'cause i'm a masochist.

Ilana Glazer: The Planet is Burning
abbi jacobsen must be an absolute fucking genius for making broad city somewhat watchable, because this is all the most obnoxious parts of that show condensed into one insufferable hour. it's all woke pandering but the movie segment at the end is amongst the more obnoxious stand-up bits i've seen (this clip misses out the part where she whines about how bad braveheart is because mel gibson, and yes she hasn't seen that either). i was on the warpath after this, wanted to stomp some jewish lesbians to save comedy.

Taylor Tomlinson: Quarter-Life Crisis
taylor's cool in my book. holds an audience really well here for her age, right mixture of confidence and self-deprecation, relatability and exaggeration. some really sharp observations, there isn't too much here that feels derivative despite the topics being very well worn. could do without her putting on voices sometimes but i almost always feel that way about everyone so it might be a me thing. she's hot in this outfit which may affect my opinion.

Leslie Jones: Time Machine
couldn't watch much lol, pretty unbearable.

Russell Peters: Deported
kinda juvenile, a lot of gay panic stuff you'd expect from family guy or something. then it gets very india-specific in the last act and loses me completely.

Fortune Feimster: Sweet and Salty
she seems fairly cool and a good storyteller so i won't rag on her. not funny but probably alright to hang out with.

Mike Cannon: Life Begins
the interludes where various mostly funnier comedians (jim norton, colin quinn, chris distefano, rich vos, etc) shit on him are better than the stand-up itself. he doesn't suck or anything, just doesn't stand out.

Maria Bamford: Weakness is the Brand
i kinda love her, consider her a genius, and sometimes i want to shoot her in the larynx. literally had to turn off the song at the end, fucking unbearable. she's too damn clever for her own good sometimes, and obviously too precious. she's basically the miranda july of stand-up. best bits are very good and completely unique though as always.

Sam Morril: I Got This
doesn't quite live up to the hype for me but very solid, unusual stage presence. i've heard he peaked with this which is a shame if so.

Whitmer Thomas: The Golden One
musical stand-up executive produced by bo burnham had the potential to be horrible but he completely won me over tbh. love when comics get so personal it's fucking uncomfortable.

Pete Davidson: Alive From New York
louis ck is an outed and confessed creepy fuck and i still don't believe he was the asshole in this unfunny douchebag's opening story. it is a good story though (you can switch off once it's done).

Marc Maron: End Times Fun
i quite like how he's mellowed and can just quietly hold an audience now, but this grumpy boomer stuff doesn't really do much for me.

Bert Kreischer: Hey Big Boy
i obvs don't like kreischer as i'm not a middle aged man who never grew out of being a frat boy, but since he recently appeared on it i'll recommend caleb pressley's 'sundae conversation' once again. funniest series since norm live IMO and he may be the best improv comedian currently working, takes the absurdist interview format to levels of genius not seen since martin short's jiminy glick back in the day (think a better version of between two ferns, eric andre show etc). watch it!

Scott Losse: Wives and Knives
no fucking way in hell this guy is 37. legit funny though, took a little time to grow on me as he's very quiet and unassuming but he kept catching me off guard and i was all in by the end.

Zoltan Kaszas: Modern Male
just an extremely solid observational guy, a natural on the stage. hard to imagine him ever bombing.

Tom Segura: Ball Hog
not sure if he's become more of a smug unlikeable prick over time or if it's just become more obvious now, but he kinda has that ricky gervais thing now where he's such a narcissist he's become the character that used to be a bit. loads of lazy edginess used as a crutch, but with some genuine contempt seeping in for his targets, especially the poor.

Is that the Bert special with the three stories for the whole thing? I remember an escape room one with his parents..anyway, really liked that one, but I'm a Bert stand-up fan.

Can't believe you sat through that many specials 😂 comedy is definitely in a dull / unwatchable for the last few years....