Stand-Up Comedy Thread

So I watched the Patrice O'Neal documentary and, as much as I am biased and love the guy, it was somewhat of a let down.

It suffers from what is looking to me like a common problem with modern documentaries/biopics. Everything is made assuming completely clueless people are the target audience which is ridiculous because the chances of completely clueless people watching a documentary about an obscure or niche subject are already very low, so it makes more sense to do deep dives into the subjects instead, because the majority of people who will go out of their way to watch the documentary/biopic in the first place are people who already know about it. It's really annoying.

It felt rushed and very surface, what a shame.

Edit: Oh and those short animations they kept using fucking sucked ass. Also how did they leave out the false rape allegation Patrice went to prison for 3 months for back when he was a teenager? That experience pretty much shaped his entire worldview. Yikes.

Last edited:
I mean, if you're a fan of patrice theres nothing to gain by watching the documentary. It's merely a presentation for the larger and unknown audience. That's a pretty silly complaint IMO

It wasn't an allegation, dude did time for it :lol: the documentary wasn't a deep dive into his opinions on women, rather him as.a.whole person and the self destructive persona he carried throughout his career.

It wasn't a deep dive into anything at all, it was more or less a Wikipedia article. Cumia wasn't even interviewed lmfao, and yeah I know he did time for it I literally fucking said that in my comment you brainlet. You don't do 3 months for rape so obviously it was plead down or he copped other charges in lieu of a rape charge.

And yeah I know there's nothing to gain from watching it if you're a fan, again I literally said as much in my comment. Whew.

To me the whole thing seemed super lazy, super surface, an excuse for a bunch of comedians to reminisce. It's one of those dumb documentaries that doesn't appeal to fans but doesn't have wider appeal because Patrice is too niche and offensive. It'll sink without a trace very quickly. Definitely not a silly complaint.

Are you aware Cumia is considered a racist and right wing nut and wouldn't be on a mainstream thing produced by comedy central?? How's that fucking rock you're living under :lol:

Living in a fucking fantasy land if you think CC is going to produce a segment actively bashing women and the current culture that does anything to support them. Idk what else to tell you other than get outside some time :lol:

That doc showcased his life story and largest moments which included his views on women, his self destructive nature and his effect on other comedians. That's Patrice and it did just that. You get too attached to these male figures in your life.

Nice psychoanalysis faggot but no I just wanted a documentary that went deeper than a Wiki article. I already said I have the same issue with many documentaries and biopics, it has nothing to do with being attached to male figures or not going outside.

You really are worthless with your posts and opinions lmao.

lol i liked that last time you posted it, ill give it a watch if i can

Oops forgot I've posted it before. There are other cool Aussie sketch shows like Full Frontal, Black Comedy, SkitHOUSE and Ronnie Johns:

Aussie comedy is the least universal comedy on earth so understandable if it's too niche for most, but ya never know.