Standout bass lines in Opeth

yes, Morningrise (as well as Advent iirc) were recorded on fretless bass.

There's plenty of awesome basswork through A/MR, and SL-WS. Damnation, on a whole, has some of Martin's grooviest bass parts. Hessian Peel and Heir Apparent have some nice bass parts and fills. The Moor would be hard to keep up with on some of the trickier parts. etc etc etc.

yes, Morningrise (as well as Advent iirc) were recorded on fretless bass.

There's plenty of awesome basswork through A/MR, and SL-WS. Damnation, on a whole, has some of Martin's grooviest bass parts. Hessian Peel and Heir Apparent have some nice bass parts and fills. The Moor would be hard to keep up with on some of the trickier parts. etc etc etc.

isnt nectar on morningrise? o.0

Whole Morningrise is filled with standout bass-playing imo, Nectar probably being the absolute top. There's a cutting edge to the bass on there, like everything was always supposed to sound like that from the start, never sounds out of place despite being weird sometimes.

Yea the guy who played bass on the first two albums was really good, and I like how they had it really audible in the mix, which they dont always do these days.

they don't have the bass "audible" in the mix (ie up front) because there's no need, that's why johan left the band anyway - he wanted the bass as a lead instrument and it wouldn't work that way.

btw the bass is plenty audible on every album martin's played on, except bwp. there it's kinda buried in the mix and doesn't even cut through well. but every other album he's highly audible, you just have to know what kind of sound you're listening for.

btw the bass is plenty audible on every album martin's played on, except bwp.

I disagree. Most of Still Life and Deliverance the bass mix is pretty low. BWP I can hear fine. As for best bass lines and what not sounds good on every album. And would have to say Ghost Reveries is Martin's finest stuff!

I disagree. Most of Still Life and Deliverance the bass mix is pretty low. BWP I can hear fine. As for best bass lines and what not sounds good on every album. And would have to say Ghost Reveries is Martin's finest stuff!

agreed, but the bass sound is alot different between still life/mayh and d&d.