Star Wars Vent

Oh wow, so what if Lucas was actually writing about himself and all that "hero's journey" is just smoke and mirrors? :err::err::loco:

I acknowledge the fact that as movies (storytelling, direction, acting, etc.), parts 1-3 don't hold a candle to 4-6, but that does not stop me from enjoying them all. Maybe for different reasons, but so what? I had a real "whoaa!" moment on the first scene of pt.3, the battle over Coruscant*. Now that's a movie experience the kind I live for.

But.. I didn't see it on the big screen and I regret that, because I felt that The Phantom Menace (which I did see) wasn't all that and subsequently lost a bit of that SW fan inside me..

* notice the kitchen-sink?

Genius, Just b/c the plot points, character sketches, back stories and intricacies are well thought out does't preclude the possibility that inappropriate dialog writing, casting and directing could result in annoying deadpan delivery and scenes that pull you out of the story. To use your analogy, a great symphony with the wrong conductor and mediocre playing can still end in a bad concert. If anything, that contrast highlights the problem with these movies b/c some of the elements are so distracting that it's difficult to see the things they got right.

It's hard for me to get into the prequels because of the obvious lack of care put into it. While I love the last 3 to death, and to an extent the Phantom Menace, all the foreshadowing, hidden messages, and depth in the world can't change the fact that I can't stand the hammy dialogue, unbelievable romance, and sometimes confusing stories. Phantom Menace was the only one, IMO, that avoided the majority of this, but nearly all of Anakin's lines, in all of the movies, are cringeworthy.

It boils down to this , was Phantom M a good film ?
No , Unfortunatly it had virtually no reedeming qualities .
Fucking shocker ! Lucas dropped the ball so hard with the prequels .
Real shame as I was a child of the 70's & 80's and fucking worshiped Star Wars.

In my opinion, George Lucas is the film-making equivalent of Metallica.

I don't feel I need to explain what I mean by that.

EDIT: Genius, you feel strongly about this issue, I don't particularly feel strongly about it, that's all cool,
but you'll need to come up with a more convincing argument than "You guys just don't get it". :)

Lots of people in this thread have brought up valid critiques of the Star Wars prequels, and have linked to some pretty devastating critiques written by people far more articulate than I.
My point is, I've yet to hear any argument that really validates these films. As it stands they are dreadful, shambling wrecks with few redeeming qualities and no amount of "foreshadowing" will make up for that.

I love all movies. Episode I - III are great imho. They've grown a lot after i read articles about hidden images in the movies and how every movie is a reflection of a movie of Episode IV - VI.
Apart from that i just love them, because they show how evertyhing develops towards the storyline of Episode IV - VI, which i watched often when i was kid. But yeah, i'm sort of a fanboy, although i don't know that much about the extended universe..

I saw episode II like 5 times in the theater when it first came out. It had nothing to do with Padme and her sexy-ass white jumpsuit. :p;):dopey:

padme-amidala.jpg

kermit-fap-1.gif

I saw episode II like 5 times in the theater when it first came outtp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x82/tochtli83/kermit-fap-1.gif[/IMG]

So did I.

Grew up on Star Wars, read all the books, even loved the Prequels. ...and yes, I "got it." Even named my dog "Vader."

The trick I found, was to not have any expectations. Great expectations can only lead to you greater disappointments.
Before Episode I premiered, I refused to read any reviews, watch any features or any of that crap. I wanted to make up my own mind and enjoy the film for what it was. I wasn't going to walk in with any pre-concieved notion of what the film was according to some self-important windbag.

"Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series."

:lol: genius gon be mad

It's all Jar Jar's fault. I don't mean that the movies are bad, I mean that the galaxy was taken over by Palpatine. Jar Jar fucking Binks did it.

For me Star Wars will die when John Williams stops making the BSO´s for the movies...i went to see episode III twice just for the music.

Just came to say: Ive seen these movies... never really got into em though. They were ok. Then again my favorite movies are kinda odd... like Heat and Last of the Mohicans.

Even though that is my own opinion, I have read the books for numbers VII VIII and IX when I was a kid. And holy crap, these were boring as hell. They are absolutely not worth doing a sequel. One of them, I think VIII, was unbelievably long and boring it's insane, and I hated that the big bad guy is Palpatine v2. Terrible books, I regretted reading them and spending so much time on those (it was before the prelogy came out). I thought this news about Disney was a joke. In a way, I'm hoping that if it's true, maybe the total change it may create would be of benefits for the franchise.

The problem with star wars I II III for me is that so much feels like made up around the original trilogy. I haven't been able to "get" the prequel, I still enjoy it as in "it's still a star wars movie" and I love the universe of the whole franchise, but I have never actually enjoyed the first 3 movies as masterpieces. They feel like yet another hollywood movie post 2000-ish, ie way too much CGI, they feel like in 10 years they will already feel like old (while the original series still feels ok except maybe IV because the budget was lacking at first). There are way too many explosive action scenes that last 10mn, way too much politics as stated AD Chaos, and I'm pretty sure 99% of people (me the first) just have never actually understood most of the story, because the complexity of the politics affair in the trilogy is over the top and could be simplified and still be "deep", way too much imo compared to the original trilogy. The difference is ridiculous and inappropriate imo. To me it feels like a complex of "let's make it complicated so that we can make people think it's so-deep while in fact we have simply drown them under over information". Also I totally agree with the video posted before, the trilogy lacks basic qualities, the very first one being there is no main character to follow, and the absolute lack of personality the characters have (except Jarjar but was he really necessary in the script ? feels like a clown to entertain the kids). They are really, really good for entertainment, way more than the prequel in a way, but they lack way too much to be "masterpieces". I'm not sure people will look at them in 40 years like we look at the prequel now. The simple fact most people have a problem with them is a clue, since it's a very popular franchise. The number argument is indeed fallacious, but that has never been the case with the original 3. Too much of the prequel feels artificial, too much was put into CGI and too little attention was paid to the actual characters and the intensity and symbol of scenes (in a nutshel : to cinema as an art)

I really enjoyed the end of the prequel though (the last hour of so of III), and I just realized why : it has a real purpose, which is explaining the "rise" of vader and create a true transition with IV and serves the purpose of the supposedly point of I II III (explaining IV V VI). In between I and III, there is so much it feels like artificial and if the whole story was changed completely, it could have worked as well which just makes me feel like anything would have worked since so little is said in the original series about where they come from), and my last feeling when I get to the end of the prequel is that "okay now we're getting somewhere at least".

To me I II III don't feel so deep, but more overly complex, and yes you will find a lot of information there, but does it make it "deep" ? You can create bridges between the movies, which is cool I admit, and I like playing "where is waldo" in a way with pieces of movies, but I wouldn't say it's a reason to consider the prequel "deep". It really reminds me of series Z sci fi movies which are most of the time incredibly complicated in their storyline.

@J the Tyrant : nothing wrong with Last of the Mohicans. What a wonderful movie, and especially, what a tremendous-epic-incredible-orgasmic last scene

EDIT : something I enjoy though, to be the devil's advocate, is how the design of the I II III weapons, suits, shuttles, cruisers, fighters, relate to a future empire. You can feel something is going on just by putting the designs in perspective with the empire from IV V VI, which I found very subtle in some cases. And the further you go, the closer they get to Empire-like designs. A lot of care has been taken of symbols and implicit clues to create a relationship between the prequel and the trilogy, what I find lacking is how the movie themselves were directed, acted, and scripted.