Started building my (small) studio

Well well well... 50,000 views later... this is smokin'. Quite seriously amazing in fact! I remember a few years ago when the thread began,I had no idea it would have turned out so fabulous. I also cant believe the gear involved here, its actually crazy stuff.

What an investment! Inspirational :OMG:

I'd love to oneday do something similar, however i'd probably have enough of a struggle on building a bass trap :lol:

Ed,
The best part about this whole thread is the realisation that if you want it bad enough you can have it.
Respect!

Ed,
The best part about this whole thread is the realisation that if you want it bad enough you can have it.
Respect!

in theory yes..down to earth no
just thatmpney is enough to almost buy a new house with 2 bedrooms, imagine plus the gear that he has!?.

one thing is true.... if the man can afford it, well....he can, so be it

in theory yes..down to earth no
just thatmpney is enough to almost buy a new house with 2 bedrooms, imagine plus the gear that he has!?.

one thing is true.... if the man can afford it, well....he can, so be it

Perception is reality brother.
I personally believe that if it's been done once it could be done again.Not that i am intending on doing what Ed's done,but it definately translates a message to me that,the only person to stop you doing what you want is you.

I don't have any interest in where he found the funds or what goes on in that area of his life,however i was impressed with the commitment,attention to detail and the drive to fulfill his dream and live his passion.
And he does what he does extremely well.
I find that inspiring.:headbang:

It definitely is possible for ANYONE here, but it depends on a few simple truths. It's damn hard work to get to the point that Eddy was at with his studio. He also mentioned that he built up a lot of the gear over time. Also, for all we know, he had been planning this for years and years. Anything is possible if you are passionate about it, smart, plan well, invest in a responsible way, and have your priorities in order. How you get the funds comes down to your individual situation.

-Joe

well i wasn´t talking about were he got the money that wasn´t the point. what i meant to say is that it is a F:::lot of $$$ and that doesn´t come easy....

i was being REAListic here because, when u say "if you want it bad enough you can have it" ...well , u can want 100.000euros or whatever but wanting is not going to be enough...but hey that´s life

well i wasn´t talking about were he got the money that wasn´t the point. what i meant to say is that it is a F:::lot of $$$ and that doesn´t come easy....

i was being REAListic here because, when u say "if you want it bad enough you can have it" ...well , u can want 100.000euros or whatever but wanting is not going to be enough...but hey that´s life

I see what ya mean...

But think about how any small business starts. Yes, you do need startup capital, but you CAN get approved for a nice loan as long as you can pay it back in a timely manner and not be deliquent. But yes, I see what you are saying. :)

-Joe

Pot,
You're right man in that wanting something isn't enough.The reason i say want though is because,if you do,want something bad enough,you take,make and undertake the appropriate steps in order to get your want.
If you want a a hot woman,wanting alone isn't going to attract that woman to you,but if you take certain steps and make the contact required then your in with a better chance of having her.
It's no different in my opinion with anything.
So much money exist in this world of ours,the only reason why some have lots and other little,is desire,commitment and having a plan.
I don't disagree with your point,but i did read alot of people's responses on her going wow,i wish i could have that.I just believe that if you desire it bad enough and follow the appropriate procedures towards attaining it,you can.Be it now or in the not too distant future.

I understand to some point Pot's comments, but there is a part where I disagree.

Portugal isn't the land of opportunities, it's very difficult to earn some good money.
You have to invest in your education, be a good employee, invest a lot of effort and have the luck to get a good opportunity.

By nature portuguese people aren't very productive. This is something that has to do in my opinion with our great protection in working policies (that has a reverse effect) and with small wages that also happen because we are not productive, this factors don't help much in making people more productive and change their mentality.

We are considered to be one (or the one) of the countries that have less productive workers in the entire European Union.

So here I can agree with Pot that it isn't easy.

But then there are some examples of the contrary:
How many people do you know that in School their main goal was to be the most popular/cool guy in the school, making fun of teachers and ignoring the main reason of why we all were there, that was for learning?
I know a lot of them.
And what kind of jobs do they have?
The worst ones.
Do they complain about their opportunities?
They sure do.
Do they have the right to complain.
In my opinion NO.

Then I can tell some things about my life decisions that made a big difference in what I have today:

11 years ago I attended a recording school here in Portugal, after I gave up of taking computer engineering university when I was in the 2nd year.

The recording school course was 2 years.
I took the 1st year, and since I had already invested a lot of time in reading recording magazines and forums, practicing with cakewalk, anybody remember when cakewalk apprentice came out bundled with the Soundblaster 16??
I do!! That's how I started in the recording world.
I had a lot of knowledge that made the course less interesting, it wasn’t very good either IMO, although it was considered at that time the best one in Portugal.
So after I finished 1st year I decided that I wouldn’t attend 2nd year because I wasn’t learning much.
I finished the year with the best grade of the class so I was invited to work at the best Portuguese studio (maybe to do all kind of work less what interested me most but that would be a way in, and I earned it with my effort).

I refused the offer because I already had a plan at that time, that was to work in my family business, to get money to buy more gear and one day build a studio. That was my dream. And that’s how it happened.

So I returned to my hometown and started working in my family business. First started in a lower function which gave me a lower wage but enough to start slowly to buy some gear. I can say that for years almost all my money went to that.
No smoking, no drinking, no fancy clothes, etc.
Since I officially entered this family business I have worked a lot, and invested a lot of effort on this company, being today one of the most important persons in the company, this has led me to earn some good money but as a downfall I always had very limited spare time to work in recording.

So, as you can imagine I could be working in a studio and not have any gear, because the money I would have earned working in a studio wouldn’t be much to buy gear.

If I accepted the studio job for sure that I would be a better engineer at this time because I would have a greater experience.

It all resumes to options that you take.

So after 4 years of having the studio plans and the place to do it, I started building it, (And I can say I started, because I did 90% of the floating floor and channels, once again it makes a difference because I didn’t knew nothing about carpentry but even so I invested a lot of time researching about it and working on it.
I don’t know much people who would spend weekend nights working on building their studio.
I had a lot of days (more than 200 for sure) that I would arrive home from work at 8, 9 pm have dinner with my wife and daughters, stay with my wife until 1 o’clock in the morning and then she would go to bed, and I would go to the studio to do some carpentry or other work in the studio until 5-6 am, then I would sleep 1-2 hours and then it was time for a new day.
I don’t know if you know much people who would do this, I don’t.

I lost uncountable hours researching on the net and books to be sure that everything would be built as it should.

As you can see I had some opportunities, but more importantly than that, is that I had to make some choices in my life and invest a lot of effort to make things happen.

I have seen a lot of people complain about not having opportunities, but I don’t see them searching for them. They are waiting for opportunities to come to them, and as we all know that doesn’t happen.
Even when opportunities arrive they don’t invest much effort on them, unfortunately that’s Portuguese mentality, we all complain but we don’t do much to change things.

Moral of the story is that you can make things happen only to a certain point, that’s for sure, but it depends mostly on you to make it happen or not and to what point.

Sorry for the long post.

I understand to some point Pot's comments, but there is a part where I disagree.

Portugal isn't the land of opportunities, it's very difficult to earn some good money.
You have to invest in your education, be a good employee, invest a lot of effort and have the luck to get a good opportunity.

By nature portuguese people aren't very productive. This is something that has to do in my opinion with our great protection in working policies (that has a reverse effect) and with small wages that also happen because we are not productive, this factors don't help much in making people more productive and change their mentality.

We are considered to be one (or the one) of the countries that have less productive workers in the entire European Union.

So here I can agree with Pot that it isn't easy.

But then there are some examples of the contrary:
How many people do you know that in School their main goal was to be the most popular/cool guy in the school, making fun of teachers and ignoring the main reason of why we all were there, that was for learning?
I know a lot of them.
And what kind of jobs do they have?
The worst ones.
Do they complain about their opportunities?
They sure do.
Do they have the right to complain.
In my opinion NO.

Then I can tell some things about my life decisions that made a big difference in what I have today:

11 years ago I attended a recording school here in Portugal, after I gave up of taking computer engineering university when I was in the 2nd year.

The recording school course was 2 years.
I took the 1st year, and since I had already invested a lot of time in reading recording magazines and forums, practicing with cakewalk, anybody remember when cakewalk apprentice came out bundled with the Soundblaster 16??
I do!! That's how I started in the recording world.
I had a lot of knowledge that made the course less interesting, it wasn’t very good either IMO, although it was considered at that time the best one in Portugal.
So after I finished 1st year I decided that I wouldn’t attend 2nd year because I wasn’t learning much.
I finished the year with the best grade of the class so I was invited to work at the best Portuguese studio (maybe to do all kind of work less what interested me most but that would be a way in, and I earned it with my effort).

I refused the offer because I already had a plan at that time, that was to work in my family business, to get money to buy more gear and one day build a studio. That was my dream. And that’s how it happened.

So I returned to my hometown and started working in my family business. First started in a lower function which gave me a lower wage but enough to start slowly to buy some gear. I can say that for years almost all my money went to that.
No smoking, no drinking, no fancy clothes, etc.
Since I officially entered this family business I have worked a lot, and invested a lot of effort on this company, being today one of the most important persons in the company, this has led me to earn some good money but as a downfall I always had very limited spare time to work in recording.

So, as you can imagine I could be working in a studio and not have any gear, because the money I would have earned working in a studio wouldn’t be much to buy gear.

If I accepted the studio job for sure that I would be a better engineer at this time because I would have a greater experience.

It all resumes to options that you take.

So after 4 years of having the studio plans and the place to do it, I started building it, (And I can say I started, because I did 90% of the floating floor and channels, once again it makes a difference because I didn’t knew nothing about carpentry but even so I invested a lot of time researching about it and working on it.
I don’t know much people who would spend weekend nights working on building their studio.
I had a lot of days (more than 200 for sure) that I would arrive home from work at 8, 9 pm have dinner with my wife and daughters, stay with my wife until 1 o’clock in the morning and then she would go to bed, and I would go to the studio to do some carpentry or other work in the studio until 5-6 am, then I would sleep 1-2 hours and then it was time for a new day.
I don’t know if you know much people who would do this, I don’t.

I lost uncountable hours researching on the net and books to be sure that everything would be built as it should.

As you can see I had some opportunities, but more importantly than that, is that I had to make some choices in my life and invest a lot of effort to make things happen.

I have seen a lot of people complain about not having opportunities, but I don’t see them searching for them. They are waiting for opportunities to come to them, and as we all know that doesn’t happen.
Even when opportunities arrive they don’t invest much effort on them, unfortunately that’s Portuguese mentality, we all complain but we don’t do much to change things.

Moral of the story is that you can make things happen only to a certain point, that’s for sure, but it depends mostly on you to make it happen or not and to what point.

Sorry for the long post.

Respect man:worship: