Started building my (small) studio

this is so awesome , i think i have to cry, i'm so freegin jelous:err::worship:
cant wait to see this baby done :headbang:
oh yeah ! and the bill of course :heh:

€ 6000 :OMG:

I have been checking to houses here in the neighbourhood where I would probally want to live. I had sort of a 2000 euro budget maxed out on the airco. I know that also here in Holland by having an "approved" brand will get you 30 or 40% in return from the government, because of health and environment issues. I know Daikin actually is one of those brands.

My room probally won't be so exclusive as yours, allthough yes, having a good HVAC system is really nice.

Will you have 1 or 2 rooms?
If it's only 1 room I think that you could easily get to 2000Eur or if you use splitters in 2 rooms

this is so awesome , i think i have to cry, i'm so freegin jelous
cant wait to see this baby done
oh yeah ! and the bill of course

Me too!!!
No bills here!!!! :heh: :erk:

I just spent an entire lunch break at work reading this thread, with my mouth open and drooling pretty much the entire time. So fantastic of you to share this construction with everyone here.

Obrigado!

My pleasure!! :cool:

The entrance door was replaced by a new security door
full.gif

Old door
Entrance%20old%20door%2001.jpg

New security door
Entrance%20new%20door%2001.jpg

Argosy replacements panels have arrived.
Argosy%20replacements%20arrived%2001.jpg

Back to assembling the console.
Argosy%20Console%2002.jpg

Those argosy consoles intrigue me from a woodworking POV. I know they're only on a par with flat-pack catalogue furniture but I like the way they're constructed and wouldn't mind having a bash at building my own at some point. At the moment our Soundtracs console is sat on top of a glorified MDF table with a couple of hastily built racks on top as we needed to get up and running quickly and not spend too much time on pro-looking furniture.

Any chance of some detailed assembly shots so I can steal their designs for my own personal use? :D

Man, I have to congratulate you on your fantastic studio. It looks so damn professional and classy, without going too over the top. Cannot wait until the desk and racks are all hooked up. Its truly inspiring! Makes me wanna start saving for such a project....

Wow, you must be one of the best drug dealers in portugal to afford to build such a beasty studio... :)

Also congrats from me, i imagine you wont be getting much sleep when you finish ... i think i'd be getting a big ass comfortable chair so i could pass out on it everynight when i ran out of energy ...And just like you... can't wait to see it finished!! (+ hear it finished too).

Those argosy consoles intrigue me from a woodworking POV. I know they're only on a par with flat-pack catalogue furniture but I like the way they're constructed and wouldn't mind having a bash at building my own at some point. At the moment our Soundtracs console is sat on top of a glorified MDF table with a couple of hastily built racks on top as we needed to get up and running quickly and not spend too much time on pro-looking furniture.

Any chance of some detailed assembly shots so I can steal their designs for my own personal use? :D

Argosy have been extremely kind and helpful in solving all the problems that appeared so it wouldn't be a good move from me to do that. sorry :)
You can always ask them if they could give you the plans of the console. :)

What's the lock are you using on your new security door? Based on your other gear, I bet it's something really nice :)

Of course!! :lol: It's a Fichet-Bauche door.
It's an armored door, all metal besides the cover, it feels like a money safe door.
It has central lock + 4 solid steel locks

Some detailed pics for the thieves :heh:

Man, I have to congratulate you on your fantastic studio. It looks so damn professional and classy, without going too over the top. Cannot wait until the desk and racks are all hooked up. Its truly inspiring! Makes me wanna start saving for such a project....

Wow, you must be one of the best drug dealers in portugal to afford to build such a beasty studio... :)

Also congrats from me, i imagine you wont be getting much sleep when you finish ... i think i'd be getting a big ass comfortable chair so i could pass out on it everynight when i ran out of energy ...And just like you... can't wait to see it finished!! (+ hear it finished too).

No but I make part of a family business :)

Thanks for the congrats:cool:

I already have a very comfortable chair :p

Estudio%20quarto.jpg

Already managed to saw the screw tips that were on the cable channels

This was the improvised metal saw that I did
anxious.gif

It had to be a long saw but thin and flexible, so this did the job

Improvised%20metal%20saw%2001.jpg

2 of the 4 screws tips sawed

Screws%20tips%20sawed%2001.jpg

Now I can continue to pass cables through!!!

While I'm finishing the assembling of the Argosy console and passing cables this is what the recording room looks like.
What a mess!!!
bouncey.gif

What%20a%20mess%2001.jpg

Console assembling is near finish
Argosy%20Console%2003.jpg

Argosy have been extremely kind and helpful in solving all the problems that appeared so it wouldn't be a good move from me to do that. sorry
You can always ask them if they could give you the plans of the console.

They already post a basic plan on their website, I can figure out most of it from that. I was only semi-serious. :) I'd still need to do most of the hard work myself.

Argosy have been extremely kind and helpful in solving all the problems that appeared so it wouldn't be a good move from me to do that. sorry :)
You can always ask them if they could give you the plans of the console. :)

Of course!! :lol: It's a Fichet-Bauche door.
It's an armored door, all metal besides the cover, it feels like a money safe door.
It has central lock + 4 solid steel locks

Some detailed pics for the thieves :heh:

No but I make part of a successful family business :)

Thanks for the congrats:cool:

I already have a very comfortable chair :p

Estudio%20quarto.jpg

What kind of desk are you using in this picture?

So would you be needing any engineers to help you run this studio when its completed?

ahem....

Nope :lol: Only me

They already post a basic plan on their website, I can figure out most of it from that. I was only semi-serious. :) I'd still need to do most of the hard work myself.

I know, and there isn't anything special about the construction, it's mostly the design and finish quality that makes it "special"

What kind of desk are you using in this picture?

Mac Keyboard :lol: :lol:

This is an old pic, I have since bought a Procontrol 24faders.

so, what console are you fitting in there?

see above :)

I literally mean the desk that your sitting in front of that is holding your rack equipment and your S3As are sitting on :) Is it an Omnirax?

No, It does look like an Omnirax but it isn't, it's a MTS (if I'm not mistaken), I don't know if they even exist anymore.

2 rooms, but I will probally use a splitter and not a seperate system, which offcourse is much more expensive..
Thanks for the input on this!

Your studio is really shaping up...it's looking awesome!

You should use 2 separate systems so that the sound doesn't travel from one room to the other through the conduits.

I'm just waiting for 4 bolts and 4 screws for the Argosy console that came wrong. Again Argosy promptly mailed the bolts to me.

The Console is totally assembled (without the 4 screws and bolts).
Argosy%20Console%2004.jpg

I forgot to buy some cables, and some accessories.
I will have to wait for it.
Meanwhile I passed all the cables that I had through the channels.

Rack 2bay box
Rack%202bay%20box%20cables%2001.jpg

Rack 3bay box
Rack%203bay%20box%20cables%2001.jpg

Console box
Console%20box%20cables%2001.jpg

Recording room box
Rec%20room%20box%20cables%2001.jpg

Sounds stupid but how on earth do you get the cable through the channel? Probably a knack to it i'm unaware of :loco:

Fishlines to pull cables through

I tried a lot of things:
Fishlines didn't work because the channels are about 25cm (10") wide the wire would curl and wouldn't go through.
I used for a some cables a hose, but it would sometimes also curl and wasn't easy to get through.
So I tried to imagine what would go straight and make curves if I need, and the answer was..... measuring tape!!!
It was way easier to pass the cables through than any option I tried.

I would pass the measuring tape from one end to the other, then tape the cable to the measuring tape and then pull the tape with the cable attached.