Started collaborating with an awesome studio

So, the number one problem I've been having for a long time has been a lack of decent space to track in. Hopefully this is in the past now, as from now on, I'm working with this kick-ass studio as an engineer: http://www.musiikkituotantoape.com/bordercase.php

It's located 60km from where I live, the equipment and rooms are very decent to say the least and there's accommodation for five. As a bonus, I can track bands in there and do the mixing on my rig at home, and bill for the mixing myself if it suits the client and/or me better. Now, the only problem is to find enough clients to really get things started. I have a couple of sessions coming and a couple of bands still figuring out if their budget is enough, but what I need now is a couple more decent acts to get the studio's name out there and get the ball rolling.

Super stoked, hope this will work out!

Congrats. Always good to find a space you feel comfortable tracking out of. 60km is quite a distance, but that's just part of the gig, I guess. For me the trip to the studio along with the booking fee precludes any chance of reamping being cost effective :(

Allrighty then. I gave the studio a quick test drive last week. When I got there, the place was a bit of a mess. The Nuendo dongle was located 60km away in the city we actually left, no 57's were present, not a single pop-filter around, the patchbays were a bit fucked up etc. It took me over an hour to get the patchbay working, and that was only after I got hold of the ex-manager who told me the output row goes "one behind" the input row on certain preamp patches. It took us almost six hours to set everything up to the point we could do some test tracking, and that included the guys driving back to get the dongle while I hunted down the microphones. After everything was in working order, it was a really pleasant place and setup to work on.

Here's some quick natural drum tones from the song I tracked there for testing purposes: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1809705/VCC/Border_drums_VCC.mp3

I'm looking forward to the first real session there, now that I know all the ins and outs of the place! :)