Status

I just updated my forum and Myspace-site with this:

Thornbound
In October we finally found a place to rehearse, and it's going great. We’ve got more than enough material for an album so we're working on arrangements and are "upgrading" the songs with better riffs, etc. I never used to play 240-280 bpm blast beats/double bass drums before, but death metal means serious business behind the kit! I've probably never been in better shape! We're also happy to announce that we’ve got the talented Øystein Hansen in as a second guitarist. Erik Tiwaz lived in Canada for a period and was replaced by my good friend and Spiral Architect-band mate Lars Norberg. We will keep rehearsing, finish the songs, record the album ourselves, and then shop for a deal.

Sarke
We've been rehearsing for about two months and the 30 minute set is now sounding as good as it gets. Very groovy stuff, and it’s very cool playing this type of music! Sarke reminds me lot of a band I used to listen to in the 80s – namely Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales!) It's going to be great playing this live at Inferno and Wacken (more shows will be announced soon).

God Of Atheists
God Of Atheists is my extreme metal project which I've been working on since last summer. The music is more or less done, and I'm now working on some vicious lyrics. I have about 45 minutes worth of music, which I think is the perfect length for an album. I'm considering doing a cover song too (not by a metal artist), as a bonus, but I'll have to test it and see how the demo turns out. I'll play guitar on this album, and I probably gathered the most insane line-up of Norwegian extreme metal musicians ever! Very excited about this! The album will be recorded this year and hopefully released early next year.

Ihsahn
I'm heading into the studio very soon to start recording Ihsahn's third solo album. My approach will be - as last time - thinking "what would Neil Peart play?" I love Neil Peart's playing - especially what he played on Rush's albums in the late 70s. Very few drummers are as good as he when it comes to "less is more"-playing. He plays tasty beats and the best drum fills ever!

Spiral Architect
For those who are wondering about Spiral Architect: Sorry to say, there's very little activity. Steinar is very busy touring with Satyricon. Lars is busy taking care of his first kid, and I am - as usual - doing my best to do everything else than work on Spiral Architect... We actually got a lot of material for the next album (written about a million years ago) but we just never seem to get time to get together and write the damn record... I think Øyvind is the only one writing (sick) SA-material at the moment.

Endorsements
In addition to being endorsed by Istanbul Mehmet cymbals, Trick pedals and B-Stick drum sticks, I'm now also endorsed by Aquarian drum heads. I was surprised how fast and easy these drum heads were to tune so I'm looking forward to hearing how they sound in the studio!

Oh, and if anyone wants to play poker in Vegas during WSOP this summer, let me know!

- A

I just updated my forum and Myspace-site with this:

Spiral Architect
For those who are wondering about Spiral Architect: Sorry to say, there's very little activity. Steinar is very busy touring with Satyricon. Lars is busy taking care of his first kid, and I am - as usual - doing my best to do everything else than work on Spiral Architect... We actually got a lot of material for the next album (written about a million years ago) but we just never seem to get time to get together and write the damn record... I think Øyvind is the only one writing (sick) SA-material at the moment.

- A

A correction regarding SA: I just started up the computer (at 4.30 AM) to work on – surprise - new SA-material when I read this. How ironic. But of course, life is busy for all of us these days. Better reclaim the nights then:Smug:

Cool, thanks for the updates guys. Interesting to hear that Ihsahn's heading into the studio again so soon, but if the new record's anything like the last one I'm certainly not complaining!

The following is taken from a recent update on my Myspace-site:

Spiral Architect
Forever my main-band, which appears laying ship wrecked… It may sound strange, but I feel that to be a better picture of the situation back in 2002 - when a follow up to A Sceptic’s Universe should have been released – than it is now. For two years now I’ve tried to find time and motivation for writing ‘my share’ of a new record. Finally, things slowly start to fall into place with regards to these matters. What about the music then? The “old” new material is to me still very inspiring (after all these years!), and so is the “new” new stuff – so I think all the SA-fans out there (from the feedback we’re receiving your number is legion!) are in for a treat. It’s too early to say quite when, however, but I promise not to let go of the momentum this time. OK?

:headbang:

Excellent news! Thanks for the updates Lars and Asgeir!

I'm still playing ASU non-stop. Definitely in my top 10 albums ever made. To say I'm looking forward to the next album is an understatement!:)

phenomenal to hear guys. i've frequently speculated (in my mind) what the next album might sound like. but even though it hasn't been put together quite yet, it gives me goosebumps just to hear these teases that it's coming along.

i've tried my hand at writing in the vein of Spiral Architect... it's damn near impossible for me to get an idea. i give you guys more and more credit every time i attempt to do some songwriting.

Mekong Delta has been taking their time (8 years) before 'Lurking fear' saw daylight. It took Infernäl Mäjesty 11 years to release the successor of 'None Shall Defy', it took Cynic almost 15 years to release their second album 'Traced in air' and it took Atheist more than 16 years to realize their next album... all of them were worth the wait! No doubt in my mind this will be true of the new Spiral Architect album, whenever it will be released. You cannot rush genius. We'll just have to wait...

It’s been already 10 years since “A Sceptic’s Universe” was released and not much have been heard about Spiral Architect.
It is known that is not good to leave a band in stand by for too long especially if we are talking about a main project.
The fact is that you guys appear so busy with your side projects and other stuff that we can barely tell if you will continue with the band. Honestly I don’t believe that putting too much time and effort to those side projects would be the most convenient. As I don’t see any benefit by supporting and spending too much time on things that are far from Spiral Architect’s legacy. When what you are actually doing is making richer and more popular those other bands and people you work for. Meanwhile Spiral Architect lies on the sands of oblivion.
Let’s not forget that if ever there was a path was Spiral Architect!
If ever there was a light was when you guys finished your debut album and finally if ever someone mentions your names in the history of music is because what you did in Spiral Architect.

In other occasions I admit that is good to take a break and even sail away new other lands, but right now is already time for a return. It is time to claim back that spot that belongs to you and take care of your business. Do a favor to yourself and work on your own.
I know that economic situation nowadays is very difficult but at the same time we shall consider that the world is changing even faster each day and as some doors close others will open too.
There are still so many alternatives, even for bands like Cynic. “Finally they came back from the ashes”
Good thing you guys still remain united and I know you already accepted the challenge long ago, it is just that you need to be conscious and bare that the more obstacles in your way the more initiative you have to use.
Learn from bands like “Exivious”, they sold out their album in their own website and all the money went to their pockets.
Also you should reconsider the option of new live appearances. That could increase your popularity and sales for both previous and future works. Remember not always the best way is the one you easily earn but the one you will earn more in the long run.
Now going back to Cynic , unfortunately they took 14 years to reappear, that was a bad move and I certainly believe that “Trace on Air” could have been sold long time ago. There are other albums in the market as technical as that one. Well good for them; finally they did it.
It is your perseverance and ability to negotiate what defines your final goal. I would rather spend more time finding more ways to target my audience or finding a record deal than spending my precious talent in others affairs. The bottom line is that if you don’t get on the road, nothing new will happen and nothing will come along.

Time for Spiral Architect has come!
This is your call!
Time for redemption!
Time to take the wheel!
Do not waste your time waiting for that big opportunity because that opportunity will never knock your door. You must go out and get it for yourself.
This last statement may sound silly but we all know the truth within.

My final words:
You will never be better doing something out of what you love to do.

Reactions: Scrawled
"It is known that is not good to leave a band in stand by for too long especially if we are talking about a main project.
The fact is that you guys appear so busy with your side projects..."

you assume that Spiral Architect is their main band (or main focus in life, for that matter... i'm sure some of them, if not all have families/other commitments). besides, it's (for some strange reason) not like Spiral Architect has millions of fans waiting for them.

i'm eager for a new record too... but it'll come when they have all the pieces in place.

damn... coming back to this forum makes me want a new disc, :devil:

Just one word for you guys.... "CYNIC"... does it ring a bell ?!
They made us wait 14 years to get another album !!

was it a painful wait? Yes
was our patience driven to new heights? yes
was hope lost at most intervals of the wait? yes
was the new album WORTH THE WAIT? ABSO-F*CKIN-LUTELY

... I just hope the guys from Spiral Architect are NOT trying to break Cynic's record ! Are you "Asgeir" ? ;o(

lies! there's never going to be a new album, and even if there was, it would undoubtedly suck. you guys are nothing more than stand-in/session musicians that got together for one group effort, and after a decade, i'm sure your sound has grown stale (just like cynic). i would hardly consider you a band at this point. SU was just a studio-created miracle.
ps. asgeir is the wishy-washiest drummer i have ever heard. improvised jam-drumming does not belong in technical metal! stop inflating his undeserved ego.
now, let the insults fly!

oh yeah, and i have way, way more confidence in WATCHTOWER to release a satisfying new album at this point. i'm looking forward to it, and i know it will happen sooner than later (and it will come out 20 years before spiral releases anything, which they won't). ok, now you can insult me, but you're all just gonna mad because, deep down, you know all of this is true.