Steve should be on Opeth's next album

LordFireworm

May 26, 2002
Visit site
Anyone else agree?
The guy they have now (Martin something) is a fine,fine bassplayer but they seem like a perfect band for Steve's liberal style.
All weavy and stuff.
Like a big musical snake.
With 5 strings.
I'll end this post now.

Originally posted by Immortal Rites
That was the exact reason their old bassist, Johan, got canned. Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't like that style of bass playing.

That kind of attitude is the main reason for musical stagnation...
"OH NO! The bass is moving , it's entirely against my pre-determined definition of bass playing , it MUST be stopped!!!! IT'S AN ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!!"

:p

Originally posted by Tyr
"OH NO! The bass is moving , it's entirely against my pre-determined definition of bass playing , it MUST be stopped!!!! IT'S AN ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!!"

Haha.
Someone has offended the Tyr machine.
Of course,being a bassist,I agree.
I do however,agree with the notion that sometimes you just need to step away...
Tyr, is anything happening with Morpheus Web?I got one very rare song off Audiogalaxy a while back that sounded quite cool (Although the vocals were'nt my cup of tea).
I'd like to hear more,bass sir.

Worm, I'll take that as a huge compliment as, although not entirely familiar with Opeth's albums, I do recognize them as a huge force in our beloved world of the underground. But I've learned my lesson the hard way, I'm not going any where I'm not welcome. In general...if they trip on what has been called "melodic" bass playing, or "moving" lines, or obnoxious style, or as I call it - bass lines that make the song more interesting pertaining to the need for it. Well, you get my trip...I'm sick of guitarists and drummers and engineers and producers that think that thumping in the low chromatisies and then getting that minimal low end boring garbage burried in the mix of protooled drums and four to eight stacked guitars...I mean they think that's metal...? They think that's music...? I'll wait around until the end of time for music to go back to being musical, and not processed and fake. There are bands and some albums out there that still practice the human quality to musicianship. And that gives me hope.

Originally posted by LordFireworm
Haha.
Someone has offended the Tyr machine.
Of course,being a bassist,I agree.
I do however,agree with the notion that sometimes you just need to step away...
Tyr, is anything happening with Morpheus Web?I got one very rare song off Audiogalaxy a while back that sounded quite cool (Although the vocals were'nt my cup of tea).
I'd like to hear more,bass sir.

Yeah , one must do what's best for the song , i.e keep the bass upfront and don't let the guitarists hug all the frequencies ;)

Funny you should mention Morpheus Web now , Kai Roger Østheim (vocals) and I decided just the other day that MW shall be no more. Basically none of us has the time for it , he's busy getting on with his life and I have enough with the bands I'm working with now.
The song you found was "The Sorceress" , from a Fates Warning tribute we participated on. Thats the only song ever recorded by MW.

Originally posted by Tyr

usually i think the same but not in the case of opeth.

johan de farfalla was not a great player for opeth.

they have great atmospheric style and to me to much variations in basslines give a kind of dispersion in the mood of that band!

however i think that johan is not a good player like tyr or the beloved hippie!:)

:D

Originally posted by HippieOfDoom
Worm, I'll take that as a huge compliment as, although not entirely familiar with Opeth's albums, I do recognize them as a huge force in our beloved world of the underground. But I've learned my lesson the hard way, I'm not going any where I'm not welcome. In general...if they trip on what has been called "melodic" bass playing, or "moving" lines, or obnoxious style, or as I call it - bass lines that make the song more interesting pertaining to the need for it. Well, you get my trip...I'm sick of guitarists and drummers and engineers and producers that think that thumping in the low chromatisies and then getting that minimal low end boring garbage burried in the mix of protooled drums and four to eight stacked guitars...I mean they think that's metal...? They think that's music...? I'll wait around until the end of time for music to go back to being musical, and not processed and fake. There are bands and some albums out there that still practice the human quality to musicianship. And that gives me hope.

I think I agree with you, but what do you mean by processed and fake? (not saying it isn't, but want to know what you mean by it)

Cookie cutter albums. Each one is the same sounding right after the other.
Unoriginal bands. Each one strives to be like the last one who managed to turn heads (or bang heads in this case).
I hate standards. I hate so called rules. Guitarists think that the bass can't be beneficial. Drummers think they need to be louder than the bass. Engineers think the bass needs to be compressed to hell. Producers think they'll get a bad reputation if the bass is audible in the mix.
And as a result in all of this "stagnation in music" it becomes processed; uniform; too much of the same and I think that's where the product becomes fake. Because as each of us are unique in spirit, we can reflect that in uniqueness of musicianship. And in playing by the "rules" of modern metal production the end result is fake because it's only based on what the standards are and not allowed to become unique in it's newness - because of a lack of newness.
Dig?

That makes sense. I'll enjoy pretty much any metal if someone is playing it (and even most nu), but the difference is in what I listen to. I find myself listening more and more to "weirder" metal. 4 guys with cellos playing thrash, black metal with polka keyboard lines, brazilians playing celtic power metal....

I've pretty much given up trying to hear bass parts in most metal; the only time its usually possible to hear the bass is in mini-solos that a few bands use (Testament, Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse). I think the only bass solo I've heard thats more than 10 seconds is Urotsukidoji, the only real distinctive bass line that I could hear over other instruments is at 2:40 in Riding the Snake. I love the idea of a mainly bass and drum led band (maybe like Primus only heavier), but pretty much every metal genre is dominated by guitar. The only band I can even think of with more than 1 drummer is Slipknot, and they don't use them, and I can't think of a band with two or more bassists.

My favorite drummer is Igor Cavalera, and part of the reason why is that he is one of the only ones to use his toms for more than just fills. You see metal drummers with huge sets, and all they use is double bass, snare, and some cymbals.

I think part of the metal stagnation is that too many bands start out planning to be straight something or just a mix of old genres. When was the last time someone tried to invent an instrument? or a new type of metal?

Totally agree with Steve and Tyr in theese matters. The bass has alot of possibilities in itself, why not use it??? The lower frequencies are bass not guitar? so why generate a guitar sound that eats them all, it sound bad in my ears. The guitar that consumes down at 20 Hz doesn't sound like a guitar.

mr V

Originally posted by Vintersorg
Totally agree with Steve and Tyr in theese matters. The bass has alot of possibilities in itself, why not use it??? The lower frequencies are bass not guitar? so why generate a guitar sound that eats them all, it sound bad in my ears. The guitar that consumes down at 20 Hz doesn't sound like a guitar.

mr V

oppinions!

:)

I'm sick of hearing the bass in music that just completely follows the guitar so the music can have that meaty "crunch". If I do remember correctly, bass is part of the rythym section; and thus should be played and produced as such. I for one would agree that Steve would fit Opeth's style perfectly and even add a new demension to their already great stlye. Do yourself a favor Steve and give Opeth some more time in your stereo. You will not be disappointed.

Originally posted by Fortunesmith
I'm sick of hearing the bass in music that just completely follows the guitar so the music can have that meaty "crunch". If I do remember correctly, bass is part of the rythym section; and thus should be played and produced as such. I for one would agree that Steve would fit Opeth's style perfectly and even add a new demension to their already great stlye. Do yourself a favor Steve and give Opeth some more time in your stereo. You will not be disappointed.

Well,an interesting angle on this "Bass following the guitar" discussion.
What if the bassist writes the music?Cannibal Corpse for example.
Alex Webster writes most of the material so is it not just the guitars following the bass?
Okay,maybe its not an interesting angle but you know what I mean.

Originally posted by LordFireworm
Well,an interesting angle on this "Bass following the guitar" discussion.
What if the bassist writes the music?Cannibal Corpse for example.
Alex Webster writes most of the material so is it not just the guitars following the bass?
Okay,maybe its not an interesting angle but you know what I mean.

great post!

finally a different point of wiev!

a friend of mine gig casini from band MIND SNARE composed almost all the material for his band but if you don't know it seem that bass follow the guitar!

:D