Steven Slate Drums 4.0

Sounds to me more like a downgrade. ;) The advantage of SSD has always been the processed (especially kickdrum & snare) sound. You find well mic'd unprocessed samples everywhere in the internet for free.

To me, the snares sounded really ugly and over processed, so I'm excited for some hopefully very good sounding raw snares that will take processing a lot better.

Over processed? Raw would be better? You guy's must be mental. I don't have time to faff around when it comes to commercial sample libraries, and i know that if I drop a Slate sample in it's going to sound awesome, although i do appreciate how having raw samples would be more versatile.

Yeah, being unprocessed is better - people who know what they are doing will get better results and those who don't will have to ask for pr3s3tz again. More importantly not every damn record will sound the same.

Yeah, being unprocessed is better - people who know what they are doing will get better results and those who don't will have to ask for pr3s3tz again. More importantly not every damn record will sound the same.

yeah but you can get awesome sounding raw samples from other
companies that 1. sound much more realistic due to tons of different velocity layers and alternative hits and 2. cost less than a SSD package :lol:

cheers
S.

SSD has always been a library of drum samples that will perfectly sit in your mix 90% of times. Without any additional processing and pain in the ass, just some parallel and buss compresion and you are done. If it does not work, which happens in other 10% of times, you are free to use tons of other drum libraries avaliable on the market. But it is true with a live recording when we speak mainly about augumentation and support sampling. I use just SSD room samples often along with my real recorded spot mics to achieve that BIG sound and it works just perfect. I don't believe that this particular library could ever have the same popularity and cult status if it was just another non processed (read addictive/superior drums) library. People want it to be "plug & play".

Slate emailed this to me today:

"Greetings Audio Professonal!

We hope to see some of you at our NAMM booth at the 2011 Winter NAMM in Annaheim. This year will be the Slate company's most exciting year ever, with a series of clinics showing off all Slate has to offer.

Special guests include Chris Kantrowitz, CEO of GOBBLER, an amazing new pro audio backup and collaboration solution. Steven Slate will be showing a sneak preview of Steven Slate Drums 4.0, an extremely powerful new virtual drum instrument. Producer Griffin Boice (The Saturdays, Hollywood Undead), will be showing off SSD4's new electro, dance, and hip hop drums. The incredible Glen Sobel will be back playing some new SSD4 kits on the Roland VDrums. Grammy award winning engineer, producer, and mixer Ross Hogarth will be giving a mix clinic that shows off the Slate Digital Trigger, Virtual Console Collection, and FG-X plugins.

And on Saturday and Sunday, Steven Slate, Glen Sobel, and guitar legend George Lynch will show off all Slate products including the new FOX dual microphone preamplifiers with a LIVE performance. Guitars and Bass will go through the FOX direct inputs using Studio Devil guitar and bass sims, Vox will use a Mojave Audio microphone through the FOX vintage pre then to a DRAGON compressor, and drums will use the new SSD4 virtual kit via Vdrums. Then Steven will mix the track using vintage console emulations from the Virtual Console Collection, and finally master it with the FG-X! Don't miss these exciting clinics! BOOTH 6921 HALL A"

Namm2011a.jpg

SSD has always been a library of drum samples that will perfectly sit in your mix 90% of times. Without any additional processing and pain in the ass, just some parallel and buss compresion and you are done. If it does not work, which happens in other 10% of times, you are free to use tons of other drum libraries avaliable on the market. But it is true with a live recording when we speak mainly about augumentation and support sampling. I use just SSD room samples often along with my real recorded spot mics to achieve that BIG sound and it works just perfect. I don't believe that this particular library could ever have the same popularity and cult status if it was just another non processed (read addictive/superior drums) library. People want it to be "plug & play".

I think this is his attempt to satisfy the people who weren't completely happy with the realism/cymbals/etc. of SSD 3.5, as well as expand the sample set to cover jazz, hip hop, and electronic music.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure Joey and most other well known guys on here do a heavy amount of processing on the current SSD samples even though they are already processed. I don't think the unprocessed samples of SSD 4.0 will be that big of a deal...

Having both processed and unprocessed available is a great idea. For example, Toontrack Metalheads is a processed set from Metal Foundry, and I regularly mix and match both now, it's great having some killer processed samples when you need fast results, and the ability to customize more when you want to.

I can't wait to upgrade, this will be awesome!

I do not at all understand the argument that we "already have enough good, realistic, raw drum samples."

I own S2.0 with the Evil Drums, Metal Foundry, and NY Expansions. I also own SSD 3.5, and some of Joey's cymbal sets, as well as hundreds of other multi-sampled and single-sample drum samples. Yes, most all of them sound great. Yes, they're realistic, too. Yes, many of them are raw. The problem is that 1000's of other people have the exact same samples in their collection and they get used constantly. I hate the sound of Avatar at this point, not because it doesn't sound good, but because it's so easily and obviously identifiable as an S2.0 kit.

If SSD4.0 gives me another 12 kits that I'm sure will sound stellar but also be able to used in a ground-up production and allow me to mix the sounds myself, then I am super stoked on this release. The more kits I have that don't sound overly used and obviously fake, and not because of inadequate programming, the better.

Yep, the realism is what SSD was missing, that's why it was always considered to be used in augumentation purposes mainly. I can not find the word REALISM in the SSD 4 press release ad though ;) But I realy love my SSD platinum pack and it works perfect for my tasks blended with my own samples or mixed up with OH mics in different combinatoions. Speaking about hip hop and jazz kits... you know you could never sit on several chairs at the same time, but I wish the best luck to Slate's team! He is the man.
BTW I remember Slate talking about NRJ and SSD room impulse responses to be included in the nearest SSD updates, along with Bricasti M7 processed samples... any news about it?

yeah but you can get awesome sounding raw samples from other
companies that 1. sound much more realistic due to tons of different velocity layers and alternative hits and 2. cost less than a SSD package :lol:

cheers
S.

I'm talking about samples for heavy music. I feel hard-pressed to think of a really good set of samples for that purpose other than Slate's and obviously Andy's legendary kick, snare and the chimaira toms. And no matter how good and how well processed they are you still need to make them fit the mix as best you can unless you're either lazy or you purposefully stick to the same sounds because they are popular and you want to be with the cool kids.