still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

It makes sense that the dropouts are still on the remaster. The dropouts happened in the mixing, not mastering process. Therefore, they remain.

Finally got it, btw. On my birthday, which was nice. The 5.1 mix sounds great. Nice use of surrounds, too. Love how the opening of the moor sort of travels around the listening space. Jens doesn't abuse the sonic space, but gives everything its own place. Because of that, the tracks can sound richer and less smeared. And backing off on the verb was a really good idea.

So..I have it now.
I made some comparisons between the stereo mix and the DTS mix when played with 2 speakers.

5.1 sucks balls with stereo speakers!
There is a lack of bass and some things do not sound right. For example that thing throughout the verses in Face of Melinda. It sounds like somebody is hitting the stick with full power on the drums. So I definately prefer the stereo mix.

I'll check the 5.1 mix out when I'm at my home town where I have a sucky 5.1 system, but this will give me at least the chance to experience 5.1 in the way it's used to be done.

I like to stand right in front of the center channel because that is where the vocals/guitar solos are mostly located. Mike's clean singing sounds beautiful with or without the music, and it's great hearing the growls by themselves.

Amazon is finally delivering my copy today. Can't wait until I get home from work!

I still haven't seen it in any of the major chain stores. What the hell is wrong with Peaceville?

Yeah so, I'm listening to it in dts right now and holy fucking shit...all my favourite bands need to do this. I'm blasting it on my wall and ceiling speakers and it feels like Opeth is in my room :D

The 5.1 mix is a hellish musical orgasm all the way through! As said, the acoustic parts have really improved quite a bit. Some really wicked solutions used here, kicks the original´s ass big time :headbang:
Oh, I almost forgot to mention the fantastic artwork, Travis is the man!

5.1 sucks balls with stereo speakers!
There is a lack of bass and some things do not sound right. For example that thing throughout the verses in Face of Melinda. It sounds like somebody is hitting the stick with full power on the drums. So I definately prefer the stereo mix.

Seems like your player doesn't mix it down to stereo.

When I usually listen to 5.1 mixes I think they are good, but they just sound like the sound was edited from two speakers to five or something.
With Still Life, to me the sound sounds like it has been totally changed. At least in some of the tracks. Take Benighted and Face of Melinda for example, totally different. The whole album sounds awsome, exept for the drums in Face of Melinda. Actually I don't like it at all, but except for that i love every minute of it.

The Moor is fucking awsome to say the least. I can hear sounds of Mikael I've never heard before. Scary, but so cool.

i just got it. i thought they did a great job on the booklet. sounds great too. and the live dvd was awesome. i didn't realize how different mikael looks without his goatee and stash (from the pictures in the book).

Is it possible that I'm listening to the remix using the stereo option that the dvd itself gives? Am I losing something?

My doubt is solved. Stereo option means stereo mix (dunno if remasterd or not..)

Now the question changes, here it is: I haven't got any 5.1 audio on my pc, so how can I create mp3 stereo (thus 2.0) files from the dvd that are in the new mix?

You see, I don't pay close enough atention to things like this. So this has remastered STEREO as well as 5.1?

Also, how much difference is heard btween the original and remaster?

Sorry, I'm sure this has already been asked, but I haven't bought it yet simply because I don't own a 5.1 system...:erk:

- There's a CD with the REMASTERed Still Life on it which doesn't sound much different compared to the original.
- Furthermore there's a DVD with the REMIXED 5.1 mix aswell as the REMASTERed stereo version (same as on the CD) on it. However you can rip the 5.1 REMIX and mix it down to stereo and you get a different sounding stereo mix, which, of course, isn't comparable with the real 5.1 REMIX.

- There's a CD with the REMASTERed Still Life on it which doesn't sound much different compared to the original.
- Furthermore there's a DVD with the REMIXED 5.1 mix aswell as the REMASTERed stereo version (same as on the CD) on it. However you can rip the 5.1 REMIX and mix it down to stereo and you get a different sounding stereo mix, which, of course, isn't comparable with the real 5.1 REMIX.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm better off hanging on to my original until I get a 5.1 system...