still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

I just got the Still Life 5.1 in the mail and must say it's the most beautiful thing Opeth has put out yet. Both in production of sound and artwork/packaging. This is one of the greatest looking cd packages I've ever seen. Gotta hand it to good 'ol Travis - he REALLY knows his shit! Not only that, but the artwork is only as great as the concept of the album which it is based on. Still Life truly is, all around, one of the greatest musical experiences to be had, no doubt.

:headbang:Man, the sound is so CLEAN. You really have to experience it to appreciate it.

I haven't noticed the lack of a bass channel to be honest. The 5.1 mix sounds fine to me, waaaaaaay better than the surround mix of Ghost Reveries btw. Guitar solos and main vocal lines come through the centre channel and they sound a lot clearer and more defined than on the stereo version. Also, the drum sound has been improved a lot, imo. I was never too happy about it on the original version of the album but now I can't complain. Another noticeable improvement can be heard on the clean and acoustic guitars. Benighted sounds fantastic!!

My thoughts exactly!

Travis Smith has really done such a fabulous job, amazing what can be done when given the budget/opportunity. It's really stayed true to the original too, and I fucking love it. He deserves every penny he got...and gets.

As for the sound, it is really beautiful. Jens did a great job and it's quite nice to hear an album that had the potential to sound fantastic to really get to that level.

Fuck Peaceville and their lack of distribution in the US. I looked everywhere I could go today, and nothing.

Now I have to wait until it ships in because I have no choice but to order it online. Seriously Peaceville, for the 80th time, go fuck yourselves.

Fuck Peaceville and their lack of distribution in the US. I looked everywhere I could go today, and nothing.

Now I have to wait until it ships in because I have no choice but to order it online. Seriously Peaceville, for the 80th time, go fuck yourselves.
According to BestBuy's website, its "available at most stores" and its only $11.99, might want to check that out. You can check their local in store availability from BestBuy.com I believe.

Yeah, I did. None of the Best Buy locations in California had a single copy of it. I looked forward to this day for nothing.

I was so close to ordering it off Amazon but the fact that they wont have it in stock for a week made me think twice.

I took my sister to the mall and gave 1 more record shop a chance. It's a little shop called Cool Cat Records, and sure enough, they had it! I was pretty much thanking the guy behind the counter saying "I have been looking everywhere for this shit! I cant believe you guys fuckin have it!" in total fanboy fasion. He just kinda rolled his eyes as to say "yeah, right on".

I'm going to go listen to the 5.1 mix right now!

Yeah, that very place. I bought the last/only copy but that place is known for usually carrying that hard to find metal stuff that the bigger stores dont have, so I'm sure they will re-stock. You might want to phone it in just to make sure. How far are you from there?

The 5.1 disc sure is a different experience. I always considered Still Life to have some of the most complex acoustic passages out of all the albums, but this new 5.1 mix reveals this to be most certainly the case. Every song reveals something new and unheard before, and it allows you to more truely appretiate the masterpiece that is Still Life. All I can think now is how monolithic the album seems to me now.

If this remaster reveals so much new things in Still Life, god only knows what kind of lost gems we would hear in a MAYH 5.1 remaster. That album is in many ways, Opeth's best. Many argue that the albums rough production adds to the albums bleak atmosphere and wouldnt wish to change it, but others would say that production doesnt do the album justice. Seeing as how Mikael has always adored this album, I dont see why he would be against remastering it.

Far enough to call ahead no doubt. I'd love to support the IE indie scene. Hopefully some other shrewd store owner imported a copy or too as well.

If this remaster reveals so much new things in Still Life, god only knows what kind of lost gems we would hear in a MAYH 5.1 remaster. That album is in many ways, Opeth's best. Many argue that the albums rough production adds to the albums bleak atmosphere and wouldnt wish to change it, but others would say that production doesnt do the album justice. Seeing as how Mikael has always adored this album, I dont see why he would be against remastering it.

It would be amazing if they release that album in 5.1 sometime in the future. But my #1 personal wish for a surround remix would be "Damnation". Everytime I listen to this album I think it's asking for it. Especially since Steven Wilson was involved in the production and having in mind how awesome mixes he has done with Porcupine Tree.

Yeah. someone closer to you must have imported it.

The dropouts on the cd mix are minimalized, but not fully removed. No apparent differences between the new and the old besides that the new one can be played loudly with the bass up and still sound clean. Something I've hated about the original for years, is that the bass and the double bass sounded fuckin awful.

It would be amazing if they release that album in 5.1 sometime in the future. But my #1 personal wish for a surround remix would be "Damnation". Everytime I listen to this album I think it's asking for it. Especially since Steven Wilson was involved in the production and having in mind how awesome mixes he has done with Porcupine Tree.

Yes I was thinking Damnation would be great for it too. Closure would be amazing in 5.1. Damnation is in fact my all time most played album ever, so it would be a dream to have a DVD mix of it.

I was thinking of taking my daughters on a mission today to find SLse, but after reading about others' problems finding it here in the states, maybe I'll just wait until whenever the hell Amazon will have it in stock. This sucks.